Обсуждение: BUG #1151: Initdb fails ...

BUG #1151: Initdb fails ...

От
"PostgreSQL Bugs List"
Дата:

Bug reference:      1151
Logged by:          laurent faillie

Email address:      l_faillie@yahoo.com

PostgreSQL version: 7.4

Operating system:   HP-UX 11.00

Details:

Hi all,
I'm trying to upgrade my 7.3.4 database to the lasted 7.4.2 on my HP-UX
11.00 box.

I remove the old database and try an initdb to initialise the new one.
Unfortunatly, it fails w/ following message :

initdb -D $PGDATA
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory /pg_database/database... ok
creating directory /pg_database/database/base... ok
creating directory /pg_database/database/global... ok
creating directory /pg_database/database/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /pg_database/database/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 100
selecting default shared_buffers... 1000
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /pg_database/database/base/1... ok
initializing pg_shadow... ok
enabling unlimited row size for system tables... ok
initializing pg_depend... ok
creating system views... ERROR:  did not find '}' at end of input node

initdb: failed

I think this problem is related to HP-UX 11.00 because I test my upgrade
procedure on an HP-UX 10.20 box, same database, same source and same
destination version w/o any trouble.

I use HP's buddle for GCC 2.95.3.

Any help very welcome.

Regards,

Laurent

PS: the version list on the web form for bug reporting is not up to date.

Re: BUG #1151: Initdb fails ...

Дата:
"PostgreSQL Bugs List" <pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org> writes:
> creating template1 database in /pg_database/database/base/1... ok
> initializing pg_shadow... ok
> enabling unlimited row size for system tables... ok
> initializing pg_depend... ok
> creating system views... ERROR:  did not find '}' at end of input node

Hmm.  This would seem to indicate a mismatch between the nodeToString
and stringToNode routines (outfuncs.c and readfuncs.c), which is
something we don't normally see unless someone's messed up their build.
Try a full recompile.

You're not using that infamous CONNECT BY patch, are you?

> I think this problem is related to HP-UX 11.00 because I test my upgrade
> procedure on an HP-UX 10.20 box, same database, same source and same
> destination version w/o any trouble.

FWIW, I've tested recently on HPUX 11.11 and 11.23, without seeing any
such problems.  And we're definitely not broken on 10.20 because I still
use 10.20 on my main development machine.  But my bet is that this isn't
an OS issue at all.

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #1151: Initdb fails ...

От
Laurent FAILLIE
Дата:
--- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> a écrit :

> > creating system views... ERROR:  did not find '}'
> at end of input node
>
> Hmm.  This would seem to indicate a mismatch between
> the nodeToString
> and stringToNode routines (outfuncs.c and
> readfuncs.c), which is
> something we don't normally see unless someone's
> messed up their build.
> Try a full recompile.

Ok, recompilation in progress ... slowly, due to my
E35 busy server :-(

> You're not using that infamous CONNECT BY patch, are
> you?

No only the basic archive from postgres' site ...

To be continued ...

Bye

Laurent

=====
The misspelling master is on the Web.  _________    100 % Dictionnary Free ! /        /(/  Dico  / /    Pleins d'autres
fautessur
/________/ /    http://go.to/destroyedlolo
(#######( /    http://destroyedlolo.homeunix.org:8080
Quoi, des fautes d'orthographe! Pas possible ;-D.

Dialoguez en direct avec vos amis grâce à Yahoo! Messenger !Téléchargez Yahoo! Messenger sur
http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

Re: BUG #1151: Initdb fails ...

От
Laurent FAILLIE
Дата:
Hi Tom,

>  --- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> a écrit :
>
> > > creating system views... ERROR:  did not find
> '}'
> > at end of input node
> >
> > Hmm.  This would seem to indicate a mismatch
> between
> > the nodeToString
> > and stringToNode routines (outfuncs.c and
> > readfuncs.c), which is
> > something we don't normally see unless someone's
> > messed up their build.
> > Try a full recompile.

I do a full recompile (I have removed the directory
and restart from the tarball) => Same result :-(
I got the same error from initdb.

I use the following line to configure.
./configure CFLAGS='-mpa-risc-1-1'
I'll do another try w/o the architecture flag (in case
of bug in GCC) but no result expected till tomorrow.

Have you any clue ?

Thanks

Laurent

=====
The misspelling master is on the Web.  _________    100 % Dictionnary Free ! /        /(/  Dico  / /    Pleins d'autres
fautessur
/________/ /    http://go.to/destroyedlolo
(#######( /    http://destroyedlolo.homeunix.org:8080
Quoi, des fautes d'orthographe! Pas possible ;-D.

Dialoguez en direct avec vos amis grâce à Yahoo! Messenger !Téléchargez Yahoo! Messenger sur
http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

Re: BUG #1151: Initdb fails ...

Дата:
Laurent FAILLIE <l_faillie@yahoo.com> writes:
> I do a full recompile (I have removed the directory
> and restart from the tarball) => Same result :-(
> I got the same error from initdb.

Hm.  It's starting to sound like an actual bug --- though whether it's
in HPUX 11.00, gcc, or Postgres is difficult to guess.  The Postgres
code is certainly known to work on many platforms, but it could have
an unsuspected platform dependency that only shows up here.

One thing I'd ask is whether you are up-to-date on libc patches for your
HPUX installation.  It's plausible that this could be the result of
buggy libc code (such as strtol or related routines).  And my
recollection is that 11.00 was about as bulletproof as you'd expect for
a dot-zero release :-(

If no joy there, the only thing I can suggest is to rebuild with
--enable-debug (if you didn't already) and start digging into it with
gdb.  If that sounds a bit out of your league, I'd be willing to do it
if you can give me ssh access to the machine.  (I don't need root,
an unprivileged user account is enough.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #1151: Initdb fails ...

От
Laurent FAILLIE
Дата:
--- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> a écrit : >
> Hm.  It's starting to sound like an actual bug ---
> though whether it's
> in HPUX 11.00, gcc, or Postgres is difficult to
> guess.

Arg :-(

> The Postgres
> code is certainly known to work on many platforms,
> but it could have
> an unsuspected platform dependency that only shows
> up here.

Sure.
> One thing I'd ask is whether you are up-to-date on
> libc patches for your
> HPUX installation.  It's plausible that this could
> be the result of
> buggy libc code (such as strtol or related
> routines).

I'll check this point.

> And my
> recollection is that 11.00 was about as bulletproof
> as you'd expect for
> a dot-zero release :-(

Unfortunatly, this machine is too old and leak of disk
space to upgrade it to 11i (Cost reduction rulez !
:-((( ).

> If no joy there, the only thing I can suggest is to
> rebuild with
> --enable-debug (if you didn't already) and start
> digging into it with
> gdb.  If that sounds a bit out of your league, I'd
> be willing to do it
> if you can give me ssh access to the machine.  (I
> don't need root,
> an unprivileged user account is enough.)

Unfortunatly, it's not possible as this machine is
behind our companie firewall.

I'll let you know.

Regards,

Laurent

=====
The misspelling master is on the Web.  _________    100 % Dictionnary Free ! /        /(/  Dico  / /    Pleins d'autres
fautessur
/________/ /    http://go.to/destroyedlolo
(#######( /    http://destroyedlolo.homeunix.org:8080
Quoi, des fautes d'orthographe! Pas possible ;-D.

Dialoguez en direct avec vos amis grâce à Yahoo! Messenger !Téléchargez Yahoo! Messenger sur
http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

Re: BUG #1151: Initdb fails ...

От
Laurent FAILLIE
Дата:
Hi Tom,

surprisely, it seems its ... a GCC bug ! I redo my
building w/o -mpa-risc-1-1 and now it succeed !

It's realy strange for me as it's the GCC shiped by HP
! I'll run regression test to check if the version
compiled w/o this flag is robust but, anyway, it's
quite strange ...

Bye

Laurent

=====