Обсуждение: BUG #1487: Index problem

BUG #1487: Index problem

От
"Tom Yeh"
Дата:

Bug reference:      1487
Logged by:          Tom Yeh
Email address:      tom_m_yeh@yahoo.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.1
Operating system:   Windows XP
Details:

I created an index for a table, say Entity, on a field, say id.

Then, the follwoing two SQL has different result:

select * from "Entity" e where e.id = '1000'

and

select * from  "Entity" e where e.id like '1000'

(The later uses sequential scan. BTW, while 7.4.x uses index why 8.0 behave
worse?)

Once I re-index it, the problem is gone. However, the problem comes back
randomly if I change some id.

The above can be replicated by using pgAdmin III only.

Re: BUG #1487: Index problem

От
Richard Huxton
Tom Yeh wrote:

> I created an index for a table, say Entity, on a field, say id.
>
> Then, the follwoing two SQL has different result:
>
> select * from "Entity" e where e.id = '1000'
> select * from  "Entity" e where e.id like '1000'

What is the definition of "Entity"?
How many rows are there in the table?
How many match '1000'?
Are your statistics up to date?
Are you happy that you are gathering enough statistics values for the
"id" column?
Do you understand the issues with using LIKE and non-C locales?

> (The later uses sequential scan. BTW, while 7.4.x uses index why 8.0 behave
> worse?)

You don't say how the EXPLAIN ANALYSE for each is different.

> Once I re-index it, the problem is gone. However, the problem comes back
> randomly if I change some id.

By "randomly" do you mean it switches plans depending on the value you
match against, or that you can repeat the same query twice and it uses
different plans?

> The above can be replicated by using pgAdmin III only.

Are you saying it doesn't do this from psql?

If you're not convinced this is an actual bug in PostgreSQL's planner,
it might be better to post details to the performance or sql lists where
there are more people to help answer.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: BUG #1487: Index problem

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
=20

pgAdmin uses libpq, just as psql does, so I cannot imagine why this
would be the case. pgAdmin also does not do anything to try to affect
query plans in any way.

Regards, Dave.

Re: BUG #1487: Index problem

От
Richard Huxton
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Could it set the encoding/locale differently to psql (on the same machine)?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: BUG #1487: Index problem

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
=20

Good point, yes - it will try to set the encoding to unicode if it can.

/D

Re: BUG #1487: Index problem

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Tom M. Yeh wrote:
> Yes, it really depends on Locale. If I created a
> database with Locale = C, the problem won't happen (at
> least so far). BTW, I forgot to mention I tested with
> some Chinese and Japanese characters.
>
> However, it raises another issue why a wrong Locale
> would damage index? It shall only affect records with
> wrong conversion, not something like '1000'.

Search the list archives for LIKE and locale - different locales have
different sorting rules. Setting locale=C makes everything simple.

With 8.0 you can define your own operator classes to tell PG it can use
an index (see ch 11.6 of the manuals). I think there are examples in the
mailing-list archives.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: BUG #1487: Index problem

От
"Tom M. Yeh"
Дата:
Yes, it really depends on Locale. If I created a
database with Locale = C, the problem won't happen (at
least so far). BTW, I forgot to mention I tested with
some Chinese and Japanese characters.

However, it raises another issue why a wrong Locale
would damage index? It shall only affect records with
wrong conversion, not something like '1000'.

The real environment in my program is J2EE+JDBC. I
simply used pgAdmin to demonstrate the problem (not
caused by JDBC or so).

Though Locale C solved the problem, LIKE 'prefix%'
still uses Seq Scan. It is a job to change hundreds
(if not thousands SQL) to use BETWEEN/AND instead. Any
suggestion?

> > pgAdmin uses libpq, just as psql does, so I cannot
imagine why this
> > would be the case. pgAdmin also does not do
anything to try
> to affect
> > query plans in any way.
>
> Could it set the encoding/locale differently to psql
(on the
> same machine)?

Good point, yes - it will try to set the encoding to
unicode if it can.

/D

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com