Обсуждение: BUG #4068: Failed to compile 8.3.1

BUG #4068: Failed to compile 8.3.1

От
"Ronald Kuczek"
Дата:

Bug reference:      4068
Logged by:          Ronald Kuczek
Email address:      kuczek@kuczek.pl
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.1
Operating system:   Open SuSE 10.3
Details:

Compilation from sources failed with error message:
make[3]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/postgres/postgresql-8.3.1/src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/ut
f8_and_shift_jis_2004'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `utf8_and_shift_jis_2004.o', needed by
`libutf8_and_shift_jis_2004.so.0.0'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/postgres/postgresql-8.3.1/src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/ut
f8_and_shift_jis_2004'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/postgres/postgresql-8.3.1/src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/postgres/postgresql-8.3.1/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Best regards
Rony

Re: BUG #4068: Failed to compile 8.3.1

От
Zdenek Kotala
Дата:
Ronald Kuczek napsal(a):

> Bug reference:      4068
> Logged by:          Ronald Kuczek
> Email address:      kuczek@kuczek.pl
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3.1
> Operating system:   Open SuSE 10.3
> Details:
>
> Compilation from sources failed with error message:
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/usr/src/postgres/postgresql-8.3.1/src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/ut
> f8_and_shift_jis_2004'
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `utf8_and_shift_jis_2004.o', needed by
> `libutf8_and_shift_jis_2004.so.0.0'.  Stop.
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/postgres/postgresql-8.3.1/src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/ut
> f8_and_shift_jis_2004'
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/postgres/postgresql-8.3.1/src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs'
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/postgres/postgresql-8.3.1/src'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

Please, could you send a configure setup and gcc version could be useful as well.

        Zdenek

Re: BUG #4068: Failed to compile 8.3.1

От
Ronald Kuczek
Дата:
Zdenek Kotala wrote:

> Please, could you send a configure setup and gcc version could be
> useful as well.
>
>         Zdenek

Sure , see config.log file.

Rony

Вложения

Re: BUG #4068: Failed to compile 8.3.1

Дата:
Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:
> Ronald Kuczek napsal(a):
>> make[3]: Entering directory
>> `/usr/src/postgres/postgresql-8.3.1/src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/ut
>> f8_and_shift_jis_2004'
>> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `utf8_and_shift_jis_2004.o', needed by
>> `libutf8_and_shift_jis_2004.so.0.0'.  Stop.

> Please, could you send a configure setup and gcc version could be useful as well.

I think the gmake version would be more relevant.  Given that this works
for everyone else, I have to think the OP's copy of gmake is borked ...

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:
>
>> Ronald Kuczek napsal(a):
>>
>>> make[3]: Entering directory
>>> `/usr/src/postgres/postgresql-8.3.1/src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/ut
>>> f8_and_shift_jis_2004'
>>> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `utf8_and_shift_jis_2004.o', needed by
>>> `libutf8_and_shift_jis_2004.so.0.0'.  Stop.
>>>

>> Please, could you send a configure setup and gcc version could be useful as well.
>>

> I think the gmake version would be more relevant.  Given that this works
> for everyone else, I have to think the OP's copy of gmake is borked ...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Hi Zdenek, hi Tom,
Thank you for the answer.
Gmake:
postgres@unix:/> gmake -v
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i686-pc-linux-gnu

BTW.  I have compiled previous version (8.2.0) on the same machine
without any problems.

Regards
Rony

Re: BUG #4068: Failed to compile 8.3.1

От
Alvaro Herrera
Tom Lane wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:
> > Ronald Kuczek napsal(a):
> >> make[3]: Entering directory
> >> `/usr/src/postgres/postgresql-8.3.1/src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/ut
> >> f8_and_shift_jis_2004'
> >> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `utf8_and_shift_jis_2004.o', needed by
> >> `libutf8_and_shift_jis_2004.so.0.0'.  Stop.
>
> > Please, could you send a configure setup and gcc version could be useful as well.
>
> I think the gmake version would be more relevant.  Given that this works
> for everyone else, I have to think the OP's copy of gmake is borked ...

Actually I've seen this reported before:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-es-ayuda/2008-03/msg00335.php

This guy has always compiled from sources, so he was surprised that it
didn't work with 8.3.1.  He says he got the tarball from the main FTP
site.  He found out that the utf8_and_shift_jis_2004.c file was missing,
so he copied it from the SVN repo:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-es-ayuda/2008-03/msg00339.php

What we haven't quite figured out is why the file wasn't present on the
tarball he downloaded.  Is it possible that a borked tarball was
uploaded somewhere?

Hmm, further down the thread, he says several people have seen this
problem:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-es-ayuda/2008-03/msg00353.php

Re: BUG #4068: Failed to compile 8.3.1

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Hmm, further down the thread, he says several people have seen this
> problem:

Yes, it is possible to find more reports about it:

http://www.sql.ru/forum/actualthread.aspx?tid=535381

--
Alvaro Herrera        Valdivia, Chile           Geotag: -39,815 -73,257
"La rebeldía es la virtud original del hombre" (Arthur Schopenhauer)

Re: BUG #4068: Failed to compile 8.3.1

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > Hmm, further down the thread, he says several people have seen this
> > problem:
>
> Yes, it is possible to find more reports about it:
>
> http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread782006.html
> http://www.sql.ru/forum/actualthread.aspx?tid=535381

Yes, I saw this.  As I remember that failured file had the longest path
of all all file names, and in fact I have seen old tar complain about
it.  Did we have an original tarball that was missing that file too?  I
can't remember but I remember an aborted tarball with a missing file.

Re: BUG #4068: Failed to compile 8.3.1

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Ronald Kuczek wrote:

> Hi Alvaro,
> Thanks for the answer. It seems to be something else:

> postgres@unix:/usr/src/postgres/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/euc_jis_2004_and_shift_jis_2004>
> ls -al
> total 16
> drwxr-xr-x 2 postgres users 4096 Mar 27 19:58 .
> drwxr-xr-x 3 postgres users 4096 Mar 27 19:58 ..
> -rw-r--r-- 1 postgres users 6978 Jan  1 21:31
> euc_jis_2004_and_shift_jis_2004.c
>
> As you can see the file is present in 8.3.1 source tree or have I
> overlook something ?

Well, there should be a Makefile in there at the very least.  I'll
assume you'll just omitted pasting that part.  What happens if you cd
into that directory and run "make"?

Re: BUG #4068: Failed to compile 8.3.1

Дата:
> What we haven't quite figured out is why the file wasn't present on the
> tarball he downloaded.  Is it possible that a borked tarball was
> uploaded somewhere?

I seem to recall we found that some tar versions have a limit on total
pathname length?  The tarball was actually OK but it got extracted
incorrectly.  However the OP seems to be running a reasonably current
Linux so it's hard to believe he's got that problem.

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #4068: Failed to compile 8.3.1

От
Ronald Kuczek
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>

>> Hmm, further down the thread, he says several people have seen this
>> problem:
>>

> Yes, it is possible to find more reports about it:
>
> http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread782006.html
> http://www.sql.ru/forum/actualthread.aspx?tid=535381

Hi Alvaro,
Thanks for the answer. It seems to be something else:
postgres@unix:/usr/src/postgres/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/euc_jis_2004_and_shift_jis_2004>
ls -al
total 16
drwxr-xr-x 2 postgres users 4096 Mar 27 19:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 postgres users 4096 Mar 27 19:58 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 postgres users 6978 Jan  1 21:31
euc_jis_2004_and_shift_jis_2004.c

As you can see the file is present in 8.3.1 source tree or have I
overlook something ?

Regards
Rony

Re: BUG #4068: Failed to compile 8.3.1

От
Ronald Kuczek
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Well, there should be a Makefile in there at the very least.  I'll
> assume you'll just omitted pasting that part.  What happens if you cd
> into that directory and run "make"?

Makefile is not present and my unit says :
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
As you can see error message differs with this from compilation in
source dir it was:
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `utf8_and_shift_jis_2004.o', needed by
`libutf8_and_shift_jis_2004.so.0.0'.  Stop.
Gmake seems to be using some Makefile, but there are some entries
missing. Any ideas ?

Tom Lane wrote:

> I seem to recall we found that some tar versions have a limit on total
> pathname length?  The tarball was actually OK but it got extracted
> incorrectly.  However the OP seems to be running a reasonably current
> Linux so it's hard to believe he's got that problem.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for a hint. It was a Midnight Commander bug. MC uncompress
sources into three separate directories.
I have uncompressed the 8.3.1 archive with bzip -d and tar -xvf (one
directory !)
and compiled succesfully. It seems to be a Midnight Commander not
PostgreSQL problem.

Regards
Rony

Re: BUG #4068: Failed to compile 8.3.1

Дата:
Ronald Kuczek <kuczek@kuczek.pl> writes:
> Thanks for the answer. It seems to be something else:
> postgres@unix:/usr/src/postgres/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/euc_jis_2004_and_shift_jis_2004>

Is that actually a correct transcription of the path?  Because it's
bogus: it should be something ending in
src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/euc_jis_2004_and_shift_jis_2004

If you've rearranged the top-level directory structure of the
distribution, that could explain a lot --- like makefiles failing to
locate Makefile.global.

            regards, tom lane