Обсуждение: BUG #5393: Installer sets superuser password if passwords don't match

BUG #5393: Installer sets superuser password if passwords don't match

От
Joshua Tolley
Дата:
I accidentally rejected this message while moderating -bugs, so I'm forward=
ing
it to the list to atone for myself. Apologies to all involved...

----- Forwarded message from pgsql-bugs-owner@postgresql.org -----

From: Rens Admiraal <rens@rensnel.nl>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:00:27 GMT
To: pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Subject: BUG #5393: Installer sets superuser password if passwords don't ma=
tch

Bug reference:      5393
Logged by:          Rens Admiraal
Email address:      rens@rensnel.nl
PostgreSQL version: 8.4
Operating system:   Windows
match
Details:=20

I just installed PostgreSQL 8.4 on windows 7 64 bit using the oneclick
installer.

I didn't read the installation steps as normal :-) So I tried to set a
username + password in the step where the superuser password is asked.

Offcourse I got the error "Passwords don't match", I read the screen again,
and thought "A nice, if no users excists, it will be created", and clicked
next without filling anything. This also didn't work, and I could only get
it to work using the username I filled in the first password field
initially...

I would expect the installation not to create a user at all at wrong input!
So it might be better to check the values in the passwords fields first, and
create the user if the passwords are equal...

Greetz,
Rens

----- End forwarded message -----

Re: BUG #5393: Installer sets superuser password if passwords don't match

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap@gmail.com> wrote:
> I accidentally rejected this message while moderating -bugs, so I'm forwa=
rding
> it to the list to atone for myself. Apologies to all involved...
>
> From: Rens Admiraal <rens@rensnel.nl>
> Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:00:27 GMT
> To: pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
> Subject: BUG #5393: Installer sets superuser password if passwords don't =
match

> Bug reference: =A0 =A0 =A05393
> Logged by: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Rens Admiraal
> Email address: =A0 =A0 =A0rens@rensnel.nl
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4
> Operating system: =A0 Windows
s don't
> match
> Details:
>
> I just installed PostgreSQL 8.4 on windows 7 64 bit using the oneclick
> installer.
>
> I didn't read the installation steps as normal :-) So I tried to set a
> username + password in the step where the superuser password is asked.
>
> Offcourse I got the error "Passwords don't match", I read the screen agai=
n,
> and thought "A nice, if no users excists, it will be created", and clicked
> next without filling anything. This also didn't work, and I could only get
> it to work using the username I filled in the first password field
> initially...
>
> I would expect the installation not to create a user at all at wrong inpu=
t!
> So it might be better to check the values in the passwords fields first, =
and
> create the user if the passwords are equal...

I don't know if this list is the right place to report bugs in the
one-click installer, or if not where the right place would be.  Anyone
else know?

...Robert

Re: BUG #5393: Installer sets superuser password if passwords don't match

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I accidentally rejected this message while moderating -bugs, so I'm forw=
arding
>> it to the list to atone for myself. Apologies to all involved...
>>
>> From: Rens Admiraal <rens@rensnel.nl>
>> Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:00:27 GMT
>> To: pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
>> Subject: BUG #5393: Installer sets superuser password if passwords don't=
 match

>> The following bug has been logged online:
>>
>> Bug reference: =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A05393
>> Logged by: =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Rens Admiraal
>> Email address: =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0rens@rensnel.nl
>> PostgreSQL version: 8.4
>> Operating system: =C2=A0 Windows
d if passwords don't
>> match
>> Details:
>>
>> I just installed PostgreSQL 8.4 on windows 7 64 bit using the oneclick
>> installer.
>>
>> I didn't read the installation steps as normal :-) So I tried to set a
>> username + password in the step where the superuser password is asked.
>>
>> Offcourse I got the error "Passwords don't match", I read the screen aga=
in,
>> and thought "A nice, if no users excists, it will be created", and click=
ed
>> next without filling anything. This also didn't work, and I could only g=
et
>> it to work using the username I filled in the first password field
>> initially...
>>
>> I would expect the installation not to create a user at all at wrong inp=
ut!
>> So it might be better to check the values in the passwords fields first,=
 and
>> create the user if the passwords are equal...
>
> I don't know if this list is the right place to report bugs in the
> one-click installer, or if not where the right place would be. =C2=A0Anyo=
ne
> else know?

no, it isn't (extracted from: http://www.postgresql.org/support/submitbug)
"""
This bug report form should only be used for reporting bugs and
problems with the PostgreSQL database. Problems with database
connectors such as ODBC and JDBC, graphical administration tools such
as pgAdmin or other external projects should not be reported here;
please report to those projects directly. For products closely
connected with PostgreSQL, there may be an appropriate mailing list
available.
"""

probably, enterprisedb support forums is the way to go:
http://forums.enterprisedb.com/forums/list.page

--=20
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova
Soporte y capacitaci=C3=B3n de PostgreSQL
Asesor=C3=ADa y desarrollo de sistemas
Guayaquil - Ecuador
Cel. +59387171157

Re: BUG #5393: Installer sets superuser password if passwords don't match

От
Dave Page
Дата:
I can't help thinking that as a community we don't do ourselves any
favours at all by being so damn pedantic about where bugs should be
reported. What must new users think when they get chastised for
reporting a *PostgreSQL* Installer bug, from an insraller they
probably got via www.postgresql.org on that same website?

If this is a real problem for people, perhaps someone should update
the web form to ask for the sub-project and direct the bug reports
accordingly rather than have us continue to bleat at users.
Volunteers?

Back on topic - there are of course a number of people working on the
installers who watch this list, and as one of them I can confirm that
this issue was noted and resolved just this week.

On 4/8/10, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov@systemguards.com.ec> wrote:
> [...]
>>> create the user if the passwords are equal...
>>
>> I don't know if this list is the right place to report bugs in the
>> one-click installer, or if not where the right place would be.  Anyone
>> else know?
>>

> no, it isn't (extracted from: http://www.postgresql.org/support/submitbug)
> """
> This bug report form should only be used for reporting bugs and
> problems with the PostgreSQL database. Problems with database
> connectors such as ODBC and JDBC, graphical administration tools such
> as pgAdmin or other external projects should not be reported here;
> please report to those projects directly. For products closely
> connected with PostgreSQL, there may be an appropriate mailing list
> available.
> """
>
> probably, enterprisedb support forums is the way to go:

--=20
Dave Page

Re: BUG #5393: Installer sets superuser password if passwords don't match

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> If this is a real problem for people, perhaps someone should update
> the web form to ask for the sub-project and direct the bug reports
> accordingly rather than have us continue to bleat at users.
> Volunteers?

while of course we can answer some questions there are others that
only could be resolved for the sub project team...
now, that idea of ask about the sub project seems good to me, actually
i have suggested something similar to redirect messages to language
specific lists... but seems i send that to an incorrect list :(
besides my abilities with web forms are very poor... but if some one
is willing to help me a little i can try

--=20
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova
Soporte y capacitaci=C3=B3n de PostgreSQL
Asesor=C3=ADa y desarrollo de sistemas
Guayaquil - Ecuador
Cel. +59387171157

Re: BUG #5393: Installer sets superuser password if passwords don't match

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> I can't help thinking that as a community we don't do ourselves any
> favours at all by being so damn pedantic about where bugs should be
> reported. What must new users think when they get chastised for
> reporting a *PostgreSQL* Installer bug, from an insraller they
> probably got via www.postgresql.org on that same website?
>
> If this is a real problem for people, perhaps someone should update
> the web form to ask for the sub-project and direct the bug reports
> accordingly rather than have us continue to bleat at users.
> Volunteers?
>
> Back on topic - there are of course a number of people working on the
> installers who watch this list, and as one of them I can confirm that
> this issue was noted and resolved just this week.

It would certainly be nice if we could just have all bugs reported
here and sort it out ourselves, but in practice that doesn't seem to
work.  When installer or pgadmin bugs are reported here, they
typically don't get a response.  Eventually I often try to write back
myself, but if it pertains to something other than core PostgreSQL
there's little that I can do beyond suggesting that they might want to
try another forum, so that's what I do.  If that's not helpful, I
could just ignore them altogether, but that doesn't seem better.

Or to put it another way, if someone had written back any time in the
13 days between when this email was posted and today and said "thanks
for the report - will look into it", I wouldn't have replied.

...Robert

Re: BUG #5393: Installer sets superuser password if passwords don't match

От
Rens Admiraal
Дата:
Hi Guys,

Will you please close the bug if it's not submitted on the right place? This
way I'll not receive this 'useless' discussion... Will certainly think twice
before submitting another bug on postgresql.org!

Thanks!

2010/4/8 Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>

> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> > I can't help thinking that as a community we don't do ourselves any
> > favours at all by being so damn pedantic about where bugs should be
> > reported. What must new users think when they get chastised for
> > reporting a *PostgreSQL* Installer bug, from an insraller they
> > probably got via www.postgresql.org on that same website?
> >
> > If this is a real problem for people, perhaps someone should update
> > the web form to ask for the sub-project and direct the bug reports
> > accordingly rather than have us continue to bleat at users.
> > Volunteers?
> >
> > Back on topic - there are of course a number of people working on the
> > installers who watch this list, and as one of them I can confirm that
> > this issue was noted and resolved just this week.
>
> It would certainly be nice if we could just have all bugs reported
> here and sort it out ourselves, but in practice that doesn't seem to
> work.  When installer or pgadmin bugs are reported here, they
> typically don't get a response.  Eventually I often try to write back
> myself, but if it pertains to something other than core PostgreSQL
> there's little that I can do beyond suggesting that they might want to
> try another forum, so that's what I do.  If that's not helpful, I
> could just ignore them altogether, but that doesn't seem better.
>
> Or to put it another way, if someone had written back any time in the
> 13 days between when this email was posted and today and said "thanks
> for the report - will look into it", I wouldn't have replied.
>
> ...Robert

Re: BUG #5393: Installer sets superuser password if passwords don't match

От
Dave Page
Дата:
[Removing Rens]

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would certainly be nice if we could just have all bugs reported
> here and sort it out ourselves, but in practice that doesn't seem to
> work. =A0When installer or pgadmin bugs are reported here, they
> typically don't get a response.

That's because typically before anyone can even draw a breath someone
has jumped on the user and they've re-posted into the more appropriate
forum. In the case of both installers and pgAdmin though, I can say
with absolute certainty that there are at least 3 developers from each
that read this list daily - we just happen to all be East-pondians so
don't always respond in the timeframe that you might.

> Or to put it another way, if someone had written back any time in the
> 13 days between when this email was posted and today and said "thanks
> for the report - will look into it", I wouldn't have replied.

No idea what happened to the original message in this thread - the
first I saw was your response.

In any case - I stand by my comments. For projects that are closely
affiliated with PostgreSQL we should not be chastising users for
reporting bugs here, we should make it easy, not difficult,
embarrassing and annoying for users to give feedback.

--=20
Dave Page