Обсуждение: BUG #5567: will not install

BUG #5567: will not install

От
"Denise Kanyuh"
Дата:

Bug reference:      5567
Logged by:          Denise Kanyuh
Email address:      kanyuh@us.ibm.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.15
Operating system:   AIX 7.1
Details:

When trying to test our product which incorporates postgress on the newest
release of AIX we get this error -- will AIX 7.1 be supported on any release
of postgres?

The installation failed at step: PostGreSOL Installation.
For additional information, please review the log files stored in the
archive: /opt/IBM/tivoli/tip/logs.zip

logs.zip include the initDB.out file which found a message:
# pwd
/opt/IBM/tivoli/tip/logs/tbsm
# more initDB.out
Error: Unknown architecture for shared libraries
#

Re: BUG #5567: will not install

От
Alex Hunsaker
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 06:13, Denise Kanyuh <kanyuh@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.15

[ BTW the latest version of 8.0 is 8.0.25, also note 8.0 is getting
EOL'ed within the next month or so, see
http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.1214 ]

> When trying to test our product which incorporates postgress on the newest
> release of AIX we get this error -- will AIX 7.1 be supported on any release
> of postgres?

Skimming http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/installation-platform-notes.html--
while it does not say anything specific about AIX 7.1, the biggest
problems seem to be with old gcc versions.  I would think if 7.1 ships
with a decent version of gcc it will 'just work'.  In any event you
may want to give that page a look.

> The installation failed at step: PostGreSOL Installation.
> For additional information, please review the log files stored in the
> archive: /opt/IBM/tivoli/tip/logs.zip
> logs.zip include the initDB.out file which found a message:
> # pwd
> /opt/IBM/tivoli/tip/logs/tbsm
> # more initDB.out
> Error: Unknown architecture for shared libraries

This looks like its coming from a 3rd party installer, my hunch is
they do not ship binaries for AIX (7.1).

Re: BUG #5567: will not install

От
Alex Hunsaker
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:51, Denise Kanyuh <kanyuh@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Alex,
>   Yes -- I am aware that we are on an old release --
>
> when you say - my hunch is
>
> they do not ship binaries for AIX (7.1).
>

> what binaries are you taking about --- we use the same installer and files
> on AIX 6.1 and it works -- it appears that there is something different in
> AIX 7.1 -- either something that is not longer in the AIX 7.1 OS base  (is
> that what you where thinking) or someing in posgres that need to change to
> accomidate this new OS?

Its this bit:

>> The installation failed at step: PostGreSOL Installation.
>> For additional information, please review the log files stored in the
>> archive: /opt/IBM/tivoli/tip/logs.zip

Ive no idea what that the above is doing, it looks like some kind of
installer...  Given the error you seem to get "Unknown architecture for
shared libraries", it sounds like its using precompiled binaries for a
different architecture or older version of AIX.  Again, Ive no idea as all
that is hidden by the installer.

I suspect if you can download the tarball and go through the ./configure &&
make dance and show us any errors you hit along the way, someone might be
able to help...  If you dont get any errors, then maybe showing us the
output of: uname -a, gcc -v, (and on the resultant binaries) file initdb,
ldd initdb.  An strace (or ktrace, not sure what AIX has if any) of initdb
may also be helpful.  It might also be interesting to see what happens when
you run initdb directly, the installers log file may be omitting something
interesting.

Im no AIX guy, but you have not provided nearly enough info for someone to
help you :-(.

Re: BUG #5567: will not install

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
kanyuh@us.ibm.com ("Denise Kanyuh") writes:

> Bug reference:      5567
> Logged by:          Denise Kanyuh
> Email address:      kanyuh@us.ibm.com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.15
> Operating system:   AIX 7.1
> Details:
>
> When trying to test our product which incorporates postgress on the newest
> release of AIX we get this error -- will AIX 7.1 be supported on any release
> of postgres?

A significant portion of the problem likely relates to using a mighty
ancient version of PostgreSQL.  Version 8.0 was effectively obsolesced
by 8.1 in 2005, some five years ago.

That's pretty relevant in two ways you should be concerned about:
 1.  Version 8.0 has been declared officially obsolete
     <http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy>
     Issues with 8.0 are exceedingly unlikely to get fixed.

 2.  PostgreSQL Version 8.1 was the first version where AIX became
     sufficiently supported to allow it to be tested on a regular
     basis on the PostgreSQL Build Farm.
       http://pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl

     There were material changes to the build process introduced in
     version 8.1 to allow substantially all parts of PostgreSQL
     including contrib modules to compile and run on AIX.

I would not recommend wasting *any* time trying to rectify issues with a
five-year-old version of PostgreSQL; you should test the build process
with a version of PostgreSQL that is still supported.
--
"cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
"Heuristics (from the  French heure, "hour") limit the  amount of time

Re: BUG #5567: will not install

От
Alex Hunsaker
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:21, Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:

> =C2=A02. =C2=A0PostgreSQL Version 8.1 was the first version where AIX bec=
ame
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 sufficiently supported to allow it to be tested on a regular
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 basis on the PostgreSQL Build Farm.
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 http://pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl
>
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 There were material changes to the build process introduced=
 in
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 version 8.1 to allow substantially all parts of PostgreSQL
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 including contrib modules to compile and run on AIX.

Yeah I'll note we dont have any coverage of AIX on 8.0 and below.
Even then we only seem to have coverage of AIX 5.3.

Re: BUG #5567: will not install

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Alex Hunsaker <badalex@gmail.com> wrote:
> Its this bit:
>>> The installation failed at step: PostGreSOL Installation.
>>> For additional information, please review the log files stored in the
>>> archive: /opt/IBM/tivoli/tip/logs.zip
> Ive no idea what that the above is doing, it looks like some kind of
> installer...

The installer apparently isn't too smart, either, because the
second-to-last name of our product is the 17th letter of the alphabet,
not the 15th.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: BUG #5567: will not install

От
Denise Kanyuh
Дата:
Alex,
  Yes -- I am aware that we are on an old release --

when you say - my hunch is
they do not ship binaries for AIX (7.1).

what binaries are you taking about --- we use the same installer and files
on AIX 6.1 and it works -- it appears that there is something different in
AIX 7.1 -- either something that is not longer in the AIX 7.1 OS base  (is
that what you where thinking) or someing in posgres that need to change to
accomidate this new OS?

thanks, Denise
Denise Kanyuh
kanyuh@us.ibm.com
TBSM L3 Manager
(919) 224-1997

Alex Hunsaker <badalex@gmail.com>
07/22/2010 11:24 AM

Denise Kanyuh/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Subject
Re: [BUGS] BUG #5567: will not install

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 06:13, Denise Kanyuh <kanyuh@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.15

[ BTW the latest version of 8.0 is 8.0.25, also note 8.0 is getting
EOL'ed within the next month or so, see
http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.1214 ]

> When trying to test our product which incorporates postgress on the
newest
> release of AIX we get this error -- will AIX 7.1 be supported on any
release
> of postgres?

Skimming
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/installation-platform-notes.html--

while it does not say anything specific about AIX 7.1, the biggest
problems seem to be with old gcc versions.  I would think if 7.1 ships
with a decent version of gcc it will 'just work'.  In any event you
may want to give that page a look.

> The installation failed at step: PostGreSOL Installation.
> For additional information, please review the log files stored in the
> archive: /opt/IBM/tivoli/tip/logs.zip
> logs.zip include the initDB.out file which found a message:
> # pwd
> /opt/IBM/tivoli/tip/logs/tbsm
> # more initDB.out
> Error: Unknown architecture for shared libraries

This looks like its coming from a 3rd party installer, my hunch is
they do not ship binaries for AIX (7.1).

Re: BUG #5567: will not install

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
On 07/22/2010 07:51 PM, Denise Kanyuh wrote:

> Alex,
> Yes -- I am aware that we are on an old release --

any plans to upgrade?

> when you say - my hunch is
> they do not ship binaries for AIX (7.1).
>
> what binaries are you taking about --- we use the same installer and
> files on AIX 6.1 and it works -- it appears that there is something
> different in AIX 7.1 -- either something that is not longer in the AIX
> 7.1 OS base (is that what you where thinking) or someing in posgres that
> need to change to accomidate this new OS?

so you just copied the binary files over from AIX 6.1 .have you tried
what happens when you actually compile on AIX 7.1?
The filename in your "installers" error suggests that initdb fails - so
what happens when you do a manual initdb with your binaries?

On a different note - if IBM is using PostgreSQL on AIX internally you
might want to consider providing buildfarm support on different AIX
versions, that would help you and the community in supporting AIX.

regards

Stefan

Re: BUG #5567: will not install

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
On 07/23/2010 07:24 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 07/22/2010 07:51 PM, Denise Kanyuh wrote:
>>
>> Alex,
>> Yes -- I am aware that we are on an old release --
>
> any plans to upgrade?
>

>> when you say - my hunch is
>> they do not ship binaries for AIX (7.1).
>>
>> what binaries are you taking about --- we use the same installer and
>> files on AIX 6.1 and it works -- it appears that there is something
>> different in AIX 7.1 -- either something that is not longer in the AIX
>> 7.1 OS base (is that what you where thinking) or someing in posgres that
>> need to change to accomidate this new OS?
>
> so you just copied the binary files over from AIX 6.1 .have you tried
> what happens when you actually compile on AIX 7.1?
> The filename in your "installers" error suggests that initdb fails - so
> what happens when you do a manual initdb with your binaries?
>
> On a different note - if IBM is using PostgreSQL on AIX internally you
> might want to consider providing buildfarm support on different AIX
> versions, that would help you and the community in supporting AIX.

That seems especially important in the light of AIX 7.1 not even beeing
available/released yet so it is not really possible that the community
can actually do any tests on that platform or even provide an estimation
on what it would take to support it...

Stefan