Обсуждение: pgsql-server/src Makefile.global.in makefiles/ ...

pgsql-server/src Makefile.global.in makefiles/ ...

От
momjian@postgresql.org (Bruce Momjian - CVS)
CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql-server
Changes by:    momjian@postgresql.org    02/11/09 19:37:28

Modified files:
    src            : Makefile.global.in
    src/makefiles  : Makefile.unixware

Log message:
    I am attaching a patch file that will replace the previous one.  It only
    contains the patches to Makefile.global.in and Makefile.unixware.  The
    Makefile.unixware patch has been updated to include the contents of
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH, if present, to the -rpath (-R) option.  This change
    will  simplify configuring and building PostgreSQL on systems that
    support  LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  You can set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include all
    the directorys  you want to have searched for additional libraries, run
    configure, then run  make.  The paths in LD_LIBRARY_PATH will then be
    embedded in the executables  via the -rpath (-R) option to the linker,
    and so will not require  LD_LIBRARY_PATH in order to run.

    Billy G. Allie

Re: pgsql-server/src Makefile.global.in makefiles/ ...

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
I still object to this patch, because it introduces platform-specific
behavior that is inconsistent with all other platforms.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: pgsql-server/src Makefile.global.in makefiles/ ...

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
OK, how do we proceed?  If we back it out, how does Billy get this
working for his system?

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I still object to this patch, because it introduces platform-specific
> behavior that is inconsistent with all other platforms.
>
> Bruce Momjian - CVS writes:
>
> > CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
> > Module name:    pgsql-server
> > Changes by:    momjian@postgresql.org    02/11/09 19:37:28
> >
> > Modified files:
> >     src            : Makefile.global.in
> >     src/makefiles  : Makefile.unixware
> >
> > Log message:
> >     I am attaching a patch file that will replace the previous one.  It only
> >     contains the patches to Makefile.global.in and Makefile.unixware.  The
> >     Makefile.unixware patch has been updated to include the contents of
> >     LD_LIBRARY_PATH, if present, to the -rpath (-R) option.  This change
> >     will  simplify configuring and building PostgreSQL on systems that
> >     support  LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  You can set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include all
> >     the directorys  you want to have searched for additional libraries, run
> >     configure, then run  make.  The paths in LD_LIBRARY_PATH will then be
> >     embedded in the executables  via the -rpath (-R) option to the linker,
> >     and so will not require  LD_LIBRARY_PATH in order to run.
> >
> >     Billy G. Allie
> >

> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: pgsql-server/src Makefile.global.in makefiles/ ...

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> OK, how do we proceed?

To be honest, I haven't even seen the patch yet, only a description.  I
can't find the actual patch in my local mailboxes or in the archives on
the web.  The idea sounds right and it should be expanded to all
platforms, but it needs to be considered carefully.  Rpaths are awfully
messy.

> If we back it out, how does Billy get this working for his system?

The same way everybody else does.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net