Обсуждение: Installing Postrgesql 7.1.2-3

Installing Postrgesql 7.1.2-3

От
"Tamara D. Blum"
Дата:
Hi,
    i'm having again problems installing postrgesql. I couldn't find the reason so i'm asking you and waiting for help.

    i ran the following patches: pgrl.patch and pgmodule.patch but i still got error messages:

            tab-complete.c:721: parse error before `('
            tab-complete.c:721: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
            tab-complete.c:728: parse error befor `('
            tab-complete.c:728: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
            tab-complete.c:737: parse error befor `('
            tab-complete.c:737: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
            tab-complete.c:752: parse error befor `('
            tab-complete.c:752: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
            tab-complete.c:766: parse error befor `('
            tab-complete.c:766: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
            make[3]: *** [tab-complete.o] Error 1
            make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/postgresql-7.1.2/src/bin/psql'
            make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
            make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/postgresql-7.1.2/src/bin'
            make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
            make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/postgresql-7.1.2/src'
            make: *** [all] Error 2

    What's the problem with my installation ?????

    Thanks for your help.
    Tamara

Re: Installing Postrgesql 7.1.2-3

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 02:37:10PM -0300, Tamara D. Blum wrote:
> i'm having again problems installing postrgesql. I couldn't find the
> reason so i'm asking you and waiting for help.
>
> i ran the following patches: pgrl.patch and pgmodule.patch but i still
> got error messages:

Are you trying to use the already patched source that I distribute with
my pre-built Cygwin PostgreSQL distribution?  If so, then there is no
reason to apply the above mentioned patches again -- the source builds
OOTB.  If you are not careful, you may actual reverse patch them out of
the source.

Anyway why don't you just use the pre-built binary distribution?  Is
there some reason that it does not meet your needs?

Jason

RE: Installing Postrgesql 7.1.2-3

От
"Tamara D. Blum"
Дата:
Jason, i didn't use the pre-built because my documentation says how to biuld
it complete, so i was trying to do that. I didn't know that postgresql was
included in CygWin. Now i'm trying with the one is included in cygwin, but
it daesn't download me the version 7.1.3, so i'm trying with 7.1.2-3.
I'm executing "initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data"
it hangs when is "Creating template1 database in
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1" and if i stop the process it hangs again in
the next step.
What's the problem ???????

Thanks
Tamara

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 02:37:10PM -0300, Tamara D. Blum wrote:
> > i'm having again problems installing postrgesql. I couldn't find the
> > reason so i'm asking you and waiting for help.
> >
> > i ran the following patches: pgrl.patch and pgmodule.patch but i still
> > got error messages:
>
> Are you trying to use the already patched source that I distribute with
> my pre-built Cygwin PostgreSQL distribution?  If so, then there is no
> reason to apply the above mentioned patches again -- the source builds
> OOTB.  If you are not careful, you may actual reverse patch them out of
> the source.
>
> Anyway why don't you just use the pre-built binary distribution?  Is
> there some reason that it does not meet your needs?
>
> Jason

RE: Installing Postrgesql 7.1.2-3

От
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP"
Дата:
I'll leap bravely (foolishly?) into the thread and suggest that you might
not have cygipc installed and the ipc-daemon running.
- Stuart

Дата:
Tamara,

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 10:00:41AM -0300, Tamara D. Blum wrote:
> Jason, i didn't use the pre-built because my documentation says how to biuld
> it complete, so i was trying to do that. I didn't know that postgresql was
> included in CygWin. Now i'm trying with the one is included in cygwin, but
> it daesn't download me the version 7.1.3, so i'm trying with 7.1.2-3.

I just built and uploaded 7.1.3 yesterday -- it should propagate to the
Cygwin mirrors shortly.

> I'm executing "initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data"
> it hangs when is "Creating template1 database in
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1" and if i stop the process it hangs again in
> the next step.
> What's the problem ???????

Did you read the README file?

    /usr/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.1.2.README

If so, then you would have noted the following:

1. Install the latest cygipc from:

    http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/cygipc/index.html

2. Install the cygipc ipc-daemon as a service, if appropriate for your platform
   (NT/2000 only):

    $ ipc-daemon --install-as-service

3. Start the cygipc ipc-daemon, as appropriate for your platform:

    $ net start ipc-daemon # NT/2000 or
    $ ipc-daemon &         # 9X/Me

If ipc-daemon is not running, then PostgreSQL (i.e, initdb and postmaster)
will hang.

Jason

Re: Installing Postrgesql 7.1.2-3

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Tamara,

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 11:21:06AM -0300, Tamara D. Blum wrote:
> > Did you read the README file?
> Yes, i did and i have installed the cygipc.

Sorry, but from your email it appeared that you didn't do both.
Actually, many people don't do both... :,(

> > 3. Start the cygipc ipc-daemon, as appropriate for your platform:
> >     $ ipc-daemon &         # 9X/Me
> When i start the ipc-daemon from bash it hangs, may be it is not correctly
> installed.
>
> I tried to start it from the execute menu and now it is executing.

Hmm...  Sounds like something is wrong with your Cygwin setup.
This type of problem is more appropriate on the Cygwin mailing list
(cygwin@cygwin.com).

> Thanks you all.

You are welcome -- I'm glad that you are up and running.

Jason