Обсуждение: installing postgresql on win2000

installing postgresql on win2000

От
Tsvi Klein
Дата:
To whom it may concern,

I am trying to install the postgresql-7.1.3 on win2000. I already
installed the cygwin software, as well as the cygipc package. I added the
bin directory to the path and ran the ipc-daemon as a service.

after all this steps i didn't really know what to do since I don't have
any UNIX background.

these are the steps that I did after the installation of the cygwin and
cygipc:
1) moved the progresql to the cygwin directory.
2) ran the ./configure as specified in the install file. I got an error
when I ran the ./configure file. (see attached file)

can you please tell me what are the next steps that I need to take.
Moreover, where can I find this gmake file that is mentioned in the
install file?

any help will be appreciated,
thanks in advance,
Tsvika Klein
EECS Department
Tufts University

Вложения

Re: installing postgresql on win2000

От
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP"
Дата:
With the default cygwin install a postgresql binary should have been
installed. From the BASH shell try:
initdb -D <datadir>
postmaster -i -D <datadir> &
To set a default datadir set PGDATA=<datadir>
If this doesn't work try looking to see if you can find initdb.exe and
postgres.exe and running them from whereever.
Hope this helps,
- Stuart

Jason Tishler
Дата:
Tsvika,

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 12:29:36AM -0400, Tsvi Klein wrote:
> I am trying to install the postgresql-7.1.3 on win2000. I already
> installed the cygwin software, as well as the cygipc package. I added the
> bin directory to the path and ran the ipc-daemon as a service.
>
> after all this steps i didn't really know what to do since I don't have
> any UNIX background.
>
> these are the steps that I did after the installation of the cygwin and
> cygipc:
> 1) moved the progresql to the cygwin directory.
> 2) ran the ./configure as specified in the install file. I got an error
> when I ran the ./configure file. (see attached file)

My WAG is that you didn't proper install cygipc, because the error:

    C compiler cannot create executables

is typically caused by not installing cygipc.  You can verify this guess
by examining the end of your config.log file.

In the future, please report errors by cutting and pasting text -- do
*not* attach gif files of screen shots.  The goal it to make it easier
for those trying to help.

> can you please tell me what are the next steps that I need to take.
> Moreover, where can I find this gmake file that is mentioned in the
> install file?

gmake is GNU make which under Cygwin is just called make -- so you
already have this command.

BTW, why don't you just use the pre-built PostgreSQL 7.1.3 that is
part of the standard Cygwin distribution?  When you installed Cygwin
(via setup.exe I hope), PostgreSQL 7.1.3 should have been automatically
installed.

Jason