Обсуждение: PostgreSQL 7.2 Initdb

PostgreSQL 7.2 Initdb

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi,

I've been trying to install the latest PostgreSQL 7.2Dev snapshot in Cygwin
running on Windows 2000 Pro. The source configured and compiled perfectly,
but initdb gives the following output:

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

Fixing permissions on existing directory /data72... ok
creating directory /data72/base... ok
creating directory /data72/global... ok
creating directory /data72/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /data72/pg_clog... ok
creating template1 database in /data72/base/1... FATAL 1:  data directory
/data72 has group or world access; permissions should be u=rwx (0700)

I have tried chmod'ing 0700 & u+rwx with no success (ls -al shows no change
in permissions) and I've tried tweaking permissions from Explorer also to no
effect.

/etc/passwd has been updated to be safe, and I also have Jason's prebuilt
7.1.3 initdb'ing and running perfectly well on the same Cygwin installation
(obviously different directories/ports etc though).

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

--
Dave Page (dpage@postgresql.org)
pgAdmin Project Leader

Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 Initdb

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Dave,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 10:30:24PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Not really since my 7.1.3 seems to be working OK in your environment.
Just curious:

1. What version of Cygwin are you using?
2. Are you using ntsec?

I'm downloading the 2001/9/24 snapshot right and will try to duplicate
your problem.

BTW, does anyone know what is up with PostgreSQL CVS?  I'm getting the
following:

    $ cvs up -d
    cvs update: authorization failed: server postgresql.org rejected access to /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot for user
anoncvs

Thanks,
Jason

Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 Initdb

От
Dave Page

1.3.3, dated 2001-08-23

> 2. Are you using ntsec?

Not to my knowledge. I can't find the keyword in the cygwin environment
string in Win2K, and I see no mention of it in the cygcheck -s output. My
Cygwin installation is pretty much out of the box - I've just added XFree86
& a few shell scripts.

> I'm downloading the 2001/9/24 snapshot right and will try to
> duplicate your problem.
> BTW, does anyone know what is up with PostgreSQL CVS?  I'm getting the
> following:
>
>     $ cvs up -d
>     cvs update: authorization failed: server postgresql.org
> rejected access to /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot for user anoncvs

Try the new root :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.postgresql.org:/projects/cvsroot

Regards, Dave.

Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 Initdb

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Dave,

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 09:12:33AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

I have good news and bad news.  I cannot reproduce your problem with the
2001/9/24 snapshot.  My WAG is that you need to add ntsec to your CYGWIN
environment variable.  Unfortunately, I cannot explain why your setup
works for 7.1.3 but not 7.2.

Remember that you must shutdown *all* Cygwin process before a change to
CYGWIN will take affect.  Please report back to the list your findings.

> > BTW, does anyone know what is up with PostgreSQL CVS?  I'm getting the
> > following:
> >
> >     $ cvs up -d
> >     cvs update: authorization failed: server postgresql.org
> > rejected access to /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot for user anoncvs
>
> Try the new root :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.postgresql.org:/projects/cvsroot

The above fixed my CVS problems.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 Initdb

От
Dave Page

Yup, that did it (after a brief struggle with the security that ended with
me waving a white flag and logging in as the local Administrator!).

Actually, I still can't connect with psql but that's another problem
(probably not Cygwin) - the postmaster is running at least.

> Unfortunately, I cannot explain why your setup works for
> 7.1.3 but not 7.2.

My guess is that someone added the mode check on $PGDATA to initdb as a
simple check to help secure databases - of course on 99.99999% on *nix
systems that will work just fine!

I get the feeling that this question may well become as common as the
current 'why does my initdb hang?'...

Thanks, Dave.

Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 Initdb

От
Dave Page

Further info on this: ntsec broke XFree86 :-(

Regards, Dave.

Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 Initdb

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Dave,

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 09:03:24AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

After changing to ntsec, you make need to do a lot of chown, chgrp,
chmod, etc. -- this is just a fact of life.  Anyway, please report this
issue to the XFree86 list.

BTW, I'm not a XFree86 user (yet), so I can't help in this area (yet).

Thanks,
Jason