Обсуждение: ipc-daemon initdb postmaster

ipc-daemon initdb postmaster

От
Дата:
After spending hours trying to figure out what the hell ipc-daemon was, I finally got to it in the archives and installed it.

initdb now works.

Problem is, I keep getting "Error: descriptor <blah> is a file descriptor, not a socket"

Does postgresql actually work on Cygwin or is it just an experiment at the moment? It seems to be as buggy as hell.

James

Re: ipc-daemon initdb postmaster

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
James,

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 06:25:34PM +1000, gnudev@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> Problem is, I keep getting "Error: descriptor <blah> is a file descriptor, not
> a socket"

Are you using 9x/Me?  I have see other posts reporting similar error
messages on these platforms.  BTW, what version of Cygwin are you using?
If you are not using 1.3.3, then please upgrade.

> Does postgresql actually work on Cygwin or is it just an experiment at the
> moment?
>
> It seems to be as buggy as hell.

Essentially all of my Cygwin PostgreSQL experience is on NT 4.0 and 2000.
IMO, Cygwin PostgreSQL works quite well on these platforms.  In fact,
Terry Carlin from the now defunct GreatBridge, reported very decent
performance results.  See the following for details:

    http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1035232

However, YMMV especially under 9x/Me.

Jason

Re: ipc-daemon initdb postmaster

От
Дата:
Thanks Jason. Yes, I'm using Windows 98. I have been using Cygwin and DJGPP
to try and pick a development suite of tools. MS Visual C++ is good, but it
won't have any of the output from flex or bison, so it's useless to me.

How do I tell which version of cygwin I have? I downloaded the installer
yesterday from cygwin.com and got all the binaries from planetmirror.com or
whatever it's called, so I should have the latest version.

James

> > Problem is, I keep getting "Error: descriptor <blah> is a file
descriptor, not
> > a socket"
>
> Are you using 9x/Me?  I have see other posts reporting similar error
> messages on these platforms.  BTW, what version of Cygwin are you using?
> If you are not using 1.3.3, then please upgrade.
>
> > Does postgresql actually work on Cygwin or is it just an experiment at
the
> > moment?
> >
> > It seems to be as buggy as hell.
>
> Essentially all of my Cygwin PostgreSQL experience is on NT 4.0 and 2000.
> IMO, Cygwin PostgreSQL works quite well on these platforms.  In fact,
> Terry Carlin from the now defunct GreatBridge, reported very decent
> performance results.  See the following for details:
>
>     http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1035232
>
> However, YMMV especially under 9x/Me.
>
> Jason

Re: ipc-daemon initdb postmaster

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
James,

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 11:47:28AM +1000, gnudev@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> Yes, I'm using Windows 98.

The above explains the "It seems to be as buggy as hell." comment. :,)

> How do I tell which version of cygwin I have?

    $ uname -a

> > On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 06:25:34PM +1000, gnudev@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> > > Problem is, I keep getting "Error: descriptor <blah> is a file
> > > descriptor, not a socket"

Please try to debug the above.  gdb would be best, but at least use
strace:

    $ strace -o psql.log psql ...

and send the output to cygwin@cygwin.com.

Since I do not have access to 9x/Me, I cannot debug this problem myself.

BTW, I believe this to be a generic socket problem under Cygwin on 9x/Me
which really has nothing specifically to do with PostgreSQL.  You can
try to search through the Cygwin archives to see if you can come up with
a resolution.  I tried a while ago but came up only with questions and
unfortunately, no answers. :,(

Just another WAG, but is your 98 the original version or SE?  Maybe your
MS Winsock stuff needs to be upgraded?

Jason

Re: ipc-daemon initdb postmaster

От
Дата:
Hi Jason,

> > Yes, I'm using Windows 98.
>
> The above explains the "It seems to be as buggy as hell." comment. :,)

Hahaha!! Yes.

> > How do I tell which version of cygwin I have?
>
>     $ uname -a

Oh thanks. I didn't know that. Cygwin is certainly very mysterious....

> Please try to debug the above.  gdb would be best, but at least use
> strace:
>
>     $ strace -o psql.log psql ...
>
> and send the output to cygwin@cygwin.com.

I'll do that and see what I come up with.

> Since I do not have access to 9x/Me, I cannot debug this problem myself.
>
> BTW, I believe this to be a generic socket problem under Cygwin on 9x/Me
> which really has nothing specifically to do with PostgreSQL.  You can
> try to search through the Cygwin archives to see if you can come up with
> a resolution.  I tried a while ago but came up only with questions and
> unfortunately, no answers. :,(

Yes, I have many unanswered questions. Things from some lists such as
"You're way out of your depth" are very unhelpful, also...

> Just another WAG, but is your 98 the original version or SE?  Maybe your
> MS Winsock stuff needs to be upgraded?

SE with updates, from the CD MS sends out to everyone who bought an upgrade
from Windows 95. My system seems to be Windows 95 patched to be Windows 98
patched to be Windows 98 SE patched to be Windows 98 SE with updates. ;-P

James

Re: ipc-daemon initdb postmaster

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
James,

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 01:51:26PM +1000, gnudev@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> > BTW, I believe this to be a generic socket problem under Cygwin on 9x/Me
> > which really has nothing specifically to do with PostgreSQL.  You can
> > try to search through the Cygwin archives to see if you can come up with
> > a resolution.  I tried a while ago but came up only with questions and
> > unfortunately, no answers. :,(
>
> Yes, I have many unanswered questions. Things from some lists such as
> "You're way out of your depth" are very unhelpful, also...

I hope that I didn't imply the above.

> > Just another WAG, but is your 98 the original version or SE?  Maybe your
> > MS Winsock stuff needs to be upgraded?
>
> SE with updates, from the CD MS sends out to everyone who bought an upgrade
> from Windows 95. My system seems to be Windows 95 patched to be Windows 98
> patched to be Windows 98 SE patched to be Windows 98 SE with updates. ;-P

Maybe the constant upgrades left a turd? :,)  I never upgrade -- instead
I wipe and replace...

Jason

Re: ipc-daemon initdb postmaster

От
Дата:
Hey Jason,

> > Yes, I have many unanswered questions. Things from some lists such as
> > "You're way out of your depth" are very unhelpful, also...
>
> I hope that I didn't imply the above.

No, no. It wasn't a shot at you at all. I was referring to Alan Cox on the
kernel mailing list... ;-) I should have said so.

> > SE with updates, from the CD MS sends out to everyone who bought an
upgrade
> > from Windows 95. My system seems to be Windows 95 patched to be Windows
98
> > patched to be Windows 98 SE patched to be Windows 98 SE with updates.
;-P

> Maybe the constant upgrades left a turd? :,)  I never upgrade -- instead
> I wipe and replace...

Hahahaha!!! Yes, I think so. Diarrhoea from the bad end of Windows. I
recently (3 days ago) wiped and replaced, but the windows 98 SE CD wouldn't
let me install things like SQL Server, so I had to wipe and reinstall
windows 95, then do the upgrades, to get all the software I wanted
installed.

I wonder what I can do to get cygwin happening with pgsql? Wince...
whimper.... I miss my Windows NT 4... :-(  There's no way I can afford to
buy a new copy unless I get it second hand, yes I might do that. The
benefits outweigh the inconvenience of reinstalling everything all over
again.

James

Re: ipc-daemon initdb postmaster

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
James,

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 01:30:30AM +1000, gnudev@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> I wonder what I can do to get cygwin happening with pgsql?

There is someone else who just posted the same problem on the pgsql-cygwin
list today.  Maybe you should try to work together to finally stomp this
one out.

Sorry, but I will be off-net starting today for the next 5 days.

Good luck,
Jason
Hi,

I try to do work PostgreSql on window 98.
I had try and succes on winnt, but on windows 98 I have the following
message :
pq_flush: send() failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket
pq_recvbuf: recv() failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket

It's the postmaster that sais this.
The initdb script is ok.

I try with some several options
PGHOST, PGPORT, PGDATA, but any of this change the error.

In a strace command (strace -o psql.log psql -h 120.0.0.1 template1),
I found this message

  848  330060 [main] psql 526351 cygwin_socket: 3 = socket (2, 1, 0)
  654  330714 [main] psql 526351 cygwin_setsockopt: setsockopt optval=1
  528  331242 [main] psql 526351 cygwin_setsockopt: 0 = setsockopt (3, 6, 1
(SO_DEBUG), 254FC18, 4)
45329288 45660530 [main] psql 526351 __set_winsock_errno:
cygwin_connect:883 - winsock error 10060 -> errno 116
  461 45660991 [main] psql 526351 _close: close (3)
  621 45661612 [main] psql 526351 fhandler_socket::close: 0 =
fhandler_socket::close()

If you have any idea ???
thank a lot

Sam