Обсуждение: Screen Overflow problem

Screen Overflow problem

От
Padma Sundar Narayanan
Дата:
Hai,

I am new to this psqsql group.

I just installed cygwin on win 98.

Both psql and postmaster are doing well.

However I face a problem.

The problem is the screen when executing a big query
is getting stuck and I could not even do clear screen.

Do I have to install any special package for
formatiing the screen output..

Thanks..

http://greetings.yahoo.com

Re: Screen Overflow problem

От
"Russell Black"
Дата:
What do you mean, "getting stuck"?  psql pipes its output into 'less' so
that you can look at the query respone one page at a time.  less stops after
one page, and you have to hit 'space' to continue or 'q' to exit.  If you
don't want your output going through 'less', type

\pset pager

Russell

> Both psql and postmaster are doing well.
>
> However I face a problem.
>
> The problem is the screen when executing a big query
> is getting stuck and I could not even do clear screen.
>
> Do I have to install any special package for
> formatiing the screen output..
>
> Thanks..

> http://greetings.yahoo.com

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Screen Overflow problem

От
"Russell Black"
Дата:
Please reply to the entire group so that others may benefit (and help)

> By the way What is \pset pager.

\pset pager is a psql command that toggles whether the output is dumped all
at once or a screen at a time.

> Actually my problem is like this:-
> 1.After I open a bash session the screen appears
> normal.
>
> 2.when I typed psql it is going to the sql prompt.
>   There is no problem until this point.
>
> 3.However when I do query on big table like pg_type
>   the rows till the end of screen appears
> good.(vertically row by row getting displaced)
>
> 4.All rows or any text which is getting overflowed or
>   not able to show in a single screen appears
> horizontally instead of vertically.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.  I don't think I've seen this.
When you say overflow do you mean the lines are too long?  (longer than 80
chars?)  or do you mean there are too many lines?

Re: Screen Overflow problem

От
Padma Sundar Narayanan
Дата:
Hai,

I have attached my problem in this mail..

Thanks..

--- Russell Black <rblack@iarchives.com> wrote:
> Please reply to the entire group so that others may
> benefit (and help)
>
> > By the way What is \pset pager.
> >

> \pset pager is a psql command that toggles whether
> the output is dumped all
> at once or a screen at a time.
>
> > Actually my problem is like this:-
> > 1.After I open a bash session the screen appears
> > normal.
> >
> > 2.when I typed psql it is going to the sql prompt.
> >   There is no problem until this point.
> >
> > 3.However when I do query on big table like
> pg_type
> >   the rows till the end of screen appears
> > good.(vertically row by row getting displaced)
> >
> > 4.All rows or any text which is getting overflowed
> or
> >   not able to show in a single screen appears
> > horizontally instead of vertically.
> >

> Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.  I don't
> think I've seen this.
> When you say overflow do you mean the lines are too
> long?  (longer than 80
> chars?)  or do you mean there are too many lines?

http://greetings.yahoo.com

Вложения