Обсуждение: Re: CYGWIN AND POSTGRESS

Re: CYGWIN AND POSTGRESS

От
"George Weaver"
Дата:
Hi Jason,

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that "Cygwin PostgreSQL users are better off with my pre-built package...".  I would also add your Readme to that statement as well .

I have (successfully) installed PostgreSQL on several Windows XP Home, Pro, NT4, and Windows 2000 systems with the help of your Readme files and this list.  It hasn't always gone as easy as I would have wished, but as often as not it was due to my inattention and trying to hurry things along.  The file permissions seem to be the stickler, but I think that you and others contributing to the list have pretty much done the necessary analysis to guide users successfully in this area.

The last install I did was last week on an XP Pro system using "e$Id: README,v 1.39 2003/10/27 13:08:55 jt Exp $".  There were two things that slowed me down which might be of interest.

In the statement: # net user postgres $password /add /fullname:postgres /comment:'PostgreSQL user account' /homedir:"$(cygpath -w /home/postgres)" # [11], I found I had to quote the fullname (eg /fullname:"postgres") and the comment (eg /comment:"PostgreSQL user account").

In the installation of Postmaster as a service using: # cygrunsrv --install postmaster --path /usr/bin/postmaster --args <<snip>>, any installation I've done puts all the system files in cygwin/bin, therefore I needed to change the path to "--path /bin/postmaster".

With these changes and changing some of the file permissions, things went quite smoothly!

Thank you, Jason, for you contributions and continuing help.

I envy your patience...

Regards,
George

Re: CYGWIN AND POSTGRESS

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
George,

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 08:49:15AM -0600, George Weaver wrote:
> There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that "Cygwin PostgreSQL users
> are better off with my pre-built package...".  I would also add your
> Readme to that statement as well .

Thanks!

> In the statement: # net user postgres $password /add
> /fullname:postgres / comment:'PostgreSQL user account'
> /homedir:"$(cygpath -w /home/postgres)" # [11], I found I had to quote
> the fullname (eg /fullname:"postgres") and the comment (eg
> /comment:"PostgreSQL user account").

What shell do you use?  I tested the README under bash.

> In the installation of Postmaster as a service using: # cygrunsrv
> --install postmaster --path /usr/bin/postmaster --args <<snip>>, any
> installation I've done puts all the system files in cygwin/bin,
> therefore I needed to change the path to "--path /bin/postmaster".

But, /usr/bin and /bin are (should be) the same due to the following
mount point:

    $ mount | fgrep /usr/bin
    C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)

Additionally, you (should) have something like the following:

    $ ls -i1 /bin/postmaster /usr/bin/postmaster
    4222124650679709 /bin/postmaster
    4222124650679709 /usr/bin/postmaster

> Thank you, Jason, for you contributions and continuing help.

You are welcome.

Jason

Re: CYGWIN AND POSTGRESS

От
"George Weaver"
Дата:
Hi Jason,

I was doing the install directly in DOS as opposed to Bash - undoubtedly why
I had to make the changes mentioned.