Обсуждение: 6.5.3 diff

6.5.3 diff

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
The web page says we have a 6.5.3 diff, but there is no diff file on the
ftp site.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [DOCS] 6.5.3 diff

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 1999-11-05, Bruce Momjian mentioned:

> The web page says we have a 6.5.3 diff, but there is no diff file on
> the ftp site.

I think Marc is no longer making patches because we always complain about
his diff program ;)

(He said that.)

Re: [DOCS] 6.5.3 diff

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> On 1999-11-05, Bruce Momjian mentioned:
>
> > The web page says we have a 6.5.3 diff, but there is no diff file on
> > the ftp site.
>
> I think Marc is no longer making patches because we always complain about
> his diff program ;)
>
> (He said that.)

Yes, and the pgaccess addition would make a patch pretty messy for this
release.  We just need the web page updated to not mention patches.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [DOCS] 6.5.3 diff

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On 1999-11-05, Bruce Momjian mentioned:
>
> > The web page says we have a 6.5.3 diff, but there is no diff file on
> > the ftp site.
>
> I think Marc is no longer making patches because we always complain about
> his diff program ;)

Well, actually, you got 50% of the quote in there *grin*  I'm willing to
make the patch, jsut someone want to give me what *they* consider to be a
*good* 'diff' command to use? :)  What do projects like 'gcc' use to
generate their diffs?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [DOCS] 6.5.3 diff

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 1999-11-08, The Hermit Hacker mentioned:

> On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > On 1999-11-05, Bruce Momjian mentioned:
> >
> > > The web page says we have a 6.5.3 diff, but there is no diff file on
> > > the ftp site.
> >
> > I think Marc is no longer making patches because we always complain about
> > his diff program ;)
>
> Well, actually, you got 50% of the quote in there *grin*  I'm willing to
> make the patch, jsut someone want to give me what *they* consider to be a
> *good* 'diff' command to use? :)  What do projects like 'gcc' use to
> generate their diffs?

Hmm. GNU diffutils maybe? They have been at version 2.7 forever, it
seems. On the other hand Bruce had a point that with the addition of
pgaccess the 6.5.2->6.5.3 patch would be rather large. How about one from
6.5.1->6.5.3 and we can reverse patch.

Re: [DOCS] 6.5.3 diff

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Hmm. GNU diffutils maybe? They have been at version 2.7 forever, it
> seems. On the other hand Bruce had a point that with the addition of
> pgaccess the 6.5.2->6.5.3 patch would be rather large. How about one from
> 6.5.1->6.5.3 and we can reverse patch.

While pgaccess was missing from 6.5.2, the 6.5.1 version of pgaccess
doesn't look anything like the 0.98 version we have now.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [DOCS] 6.5.3 diff

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On 08-Nov-99 The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>> On 1999-11-05, Bruce Momjian mentioned:
>>
>> > The web page says we have a 6.5.3 diff, but there is no diff file on
>> > the ftp site.
>>
>> I think Marc is no longer making patches because we always complain about
>> his diff program ;)
>
> Well, actually, you got 50% of the quote in there *grin*  I'm willing to
> make the patch, jsut someone want to give me what *they* consider to be a
> *good* 'diff' command to use? :)  What do projects like 'gcc' use to
> generate their diffs?

Uh-oh. You mean there's no 6.5.3 diffs yet?  I thought it was settled and
when Marc posted the announcement I was headed outa town so I made the
page live and out the door I went.  Anyway it's fixed now.

BTW, due to a config screwup earlier today I bounced some mail so if you
sent something today before 2pm EST you may wanna resend it.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null # include <std/disclaimers.h>       Have you
seenhttp://www.pop4.net?       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop
Superstore   http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [DOCS] 6.5.3 diff

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
Not what program, what set of arguments for the diff command...no matter
what I seem to try, someone doesn't like the patch :)

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On 1999-11-08, The Hermit Hacker mentioned:
>
> > On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >
> > > On 1999-11-05, Bruce Momjian mentioned:

> > > I think Marc is no longer making patches because we always complain about
> > > his diff program ;)
> >
> > Well, actually, you got 50% of the quote in there *grin*  I'm willing to
> > make the patch, jsut someone want to give me what *they* consider to be a
> > *good* 'diff' command to use? :)  What do projects like 'gcc' use to
> > generate their diffs?
>
> Hmm. GNU diffutils maybe? They have been at version 2.7 forever, it
> seems. On the other hand Bruce had a point that with the addition of
> pgaccess the 6.5.2->6.5.3 patch would be rather large. How about one from
> 6.5.1->6.5.3 and we can reverse patch.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut                  Sernanders vaeg 10:115
> peter_e@gmx.net                   75262 Uppsala
> http://yi.org/peter-e/            Sweden

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [DOCS] 6.5.3 diff

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Not what program, what set of arguments for the diff command...no matter
> what I seem to try, someone doesn't like the patch :)

There's so many different arguments.... 'diff -uNr postgresql-6.5.x.orig
postgresql-6.5.x' works for me, and is what I use in preparing the
patchsets for the RPM's.  Of course, that presupposes that there is a
whole '.orig' tree laying around to diff against, but I fugre that's a
given.

FWIW

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [DOCS] 6.5.3 diff

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >
> > Not what program, what set of arguments for the diff command...no matter
> > what I seem to try, someone doesn't like the patch :)
>
> There's so many different arguments.... 'diff -uNr postgresql-6.5.x.orig
> postgresql-6.5.x' works for me, and is what I use in preparing the
> patchsets for the RPM's.  Of course, that presupposes that there is a
> whole '.orig' tree laying around to diff against, but I fugre that's a
> given.

While we are on the topic, can someone explain why unified diffs are
better than context diffs.  I find unified diffs hard to read.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [DOCS] 6.5.3 diff

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
Okay, try that...I just did one from 6.5.2 -> 6.5.3 (figured it can't hurt
to try, even with the pgaccess stuff)...its on the regular ftp site...let
me know if that works...

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Lamar Owen wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >
> > Not what program, what set of arguments for the diff command...no matter
> > what I seem to try, someone doesn't like the patch :)
>
> There's so many different arguments.... 'diff -uNr postgresql-6.5.x.orig
> postgresql-6.5.x' works for me, and is what I use in preparing the
> patchsets for the RPM's.  Of course, that presupposes that there is a
> whole '.orig' tree laying around to diff against, but I fugre that's a
> given.
>
> FWIW
>
> --
> Lamar Owen
> WGCR Internet Radio
> 1 Peter 4:11

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [DOCS] 6.5.3 diff

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > >
> > > Not what program, what set of arguments for the diff command...no matter
> > > what I seem to try, someone doesn't like the patch :)
> >
> > There's so many different arguments.... 'diff -uNr postgresql-6.5.x.orig
> > postgresql-6.5.x' works for me, and is what I use in preparing the
> > patchsets for the RPM's.  Of course, that presupposes that there is a
> > whole '.orig' tree laying around to diff against, but I fugre that's a
> > given.
> >

> While we are on the topic, can someone explain why unified diffs are
> better than context diffs.  I find unified diffs hard to read.

Damn, hadn't clued into the -u :(  unified diffs, I believe, are smaller,
and in doing a v6.5.x->v6.5.x+1 patch, are fine...context diffs contain
more "surrounding code", so that if someone else has made changes, the
patch command can generally find where the code has moved to.  That is why
we only generally accept context diffs for the source tree, since its such
a moving target...

And, if none of the above made sense, no worries...its barely making sense
to me too :(

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [DOCS] 6.5.3 diff

От
"neil d. quiogue"
Дата:
Hello,

> While we are on the topic, can someone explain why unified diffs
are
> better than context diffs.  I find unified diffs hard to read.

The unified diff is a variation of the context diff.  The main
difference is its compactness -- it eliminates redundant context
lines.

Regards,

Neil D. Quiogue
         "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."                                                   -
RalphWaldo Emerson

Re: [DOCS] 6.5.3 diff

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > There's so many different arguments.... 'diff -uNr postgresql-6.5.x.orig
> > > postgresql-6.5.x' works for me, and is what I use in preparing the
> > > patchsets for the RPM's.  Of course, that presupposes that there is a
> > > whole '.orig' tree laying around to diff against, but I fugre that's a
> > > given.
> > >

> > While we are on the topic, can someone explain why unified diffs are
> > better than context diffs.  I find unified diffs hard to read.
>
> Damn, hadn't clued into the -u :(  unified diffs, I believe, are smaller,
> and in doing a v6.5.x->v6.5.x+1 patch, are fine...context diffs contain
> more "surrounding code", so that if someone else has made changes, the
> patch command can generally find where the code has moved to.  That is why
> we only generally accept context diffs for the source tree, since its such
> a moving target...
>
> And, if none of the above made sense, no worries...its barely making sense
> to me too :(

Now that you mention it that way, it makes perfect sense to me.  For the
packaging of a specific version of a program, a unified diff makes
sense, as it's smaller, yet more readable than a 'regular' or 'ed' diff.

For patches against a moving target (the CVS source tree patches you
mentioned), you want more context so that patch (and developers) can
more easily figure out what's going on.  However, regular context diffs
don't give you MORE context -- they just give you the context twice,
once for each file.

You can also specify the number of lines of context (or unified
context). Unified context is a modification of regular context that is
more compact. This compaction is achieved by eliminating redundant
context -- which is why it might, under certain circumstances, be more
difficult to read.  Regular context diff output contains the context
from both files -- the unified format shows common context only once,
and labels the lines from the two files for only the differences (all
this taken from the diff info page).

HOWEVER, unified diffs have their problems -- mainly that, unless I am
mistaken, only the GNU diff and GNU patch can handle them.

It's like a light bulb clicked on.... and I have learned something
interesting today!

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio