Обсуждение: "May", "can", "might"

"May", "can", "might"

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Standard English uses "may", "can", and "might" in different ways:

    may - permission, "You may borrow my rake."

    can - ability, "I can lift that log."

    might - possibility, "It might rain today."

Unfortunately, in conversational English, their use is often mixed, as
in, "You may use this variable to do X", when in fact, "can" is a better
choice.  Similarly, "It may crash" is better stated, "It might crash".

I would like to clean up our documentation to consistently use these
words.  Objections?

(Who says were obsessive?)  :-)

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Re: "May", "can", "might"

От
"Andrej Ricnik-Bay"
Дата:
On 1/31/07, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Standard English uses "may", "can", and "might" in different ways:
>
>         may - permission, "You may borrow my rake."
>
>         can - ability, "I can lift that log."
>
>         might - possibility, "It might rain today."
>
> Unfortunately, in conversational English, their use is often mixed, as
> in, "You may use this variable to do X", when in fact, "can" is a better
> choice.  Similarly, "It may crash" is better stated, "It might crash".
>
> I would like to clean up our documentation to consistently use these
> words.  Objections?
My full support. :}  I like clarity, specially on such important things
as communication!

> (Who says were obsessive?)  :-)

Re: "May", "can", "might"

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:
> On 1/31/07, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Standard English uses "may", "can", and "might" in different ways:
> >
> >         may - permission, "You may borrow my rake."
> >
> >         can - ability, "I can lift that log."
> >
> >         might - possibility, "It might rain today."
> >
> > Unfortunately, in conversational English, their use is often mixed, as
> > in, "You may use this variable to do X", when in fact, "can" is a better
> > choice.  Similarly, "It may crash" is better stated, "It might crash".
> >
> > I would like to clean up our documentation to consistently use these
> > words.  Objections?
> My full support. :}  I like clarity, specially on such important things
> as communication!
>

> > (Who says were obsessive?)  :-)

Ah, someone already got me with were -> we're.  "Who says we're
obsessive?"  Perfect!

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Re: "May", "can", "might"

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Bruce Momjian a écrit :
> Standard English uses "may", "can", and "might" in different ways:
>
>     may - permission, "You may borrow my rake."
>
>     can - ability, "I can lift that log."
>
>     might - possibility, "It might rain today."
>
> Unfortunately, in conversational English, their use is often mixed, as
> in, "You may use this variable to do X", when in fact, "can" is a better
> choice.  Similarly, "It may crash" is better stated, "It might crash".
>
> I would like to clean up our documentation to consistently use these
> words.  Objections?

No objections at all... it can only ease translations.

> (Who says were obsessive?)  :-)

:)

--
Guillaume.