Обсуждение: Make man on CentOS 5.6

Make man on CentOS 5.6

От
Koichi Suzuki
Дата:
Hi,

I'm now trying to compile man? on CentOS 5.6 and it fails.   Message
says it cannot find templates "bold" and "pgsql-docs@postgresql.org".
 I've specified stylesheet for docbook in configure.   I was
successful to build other documents, html and pfd.

The same worked on Ubuntu 10.4.

Appreciate if anybody has ideas to fix this.

Thank you;
--
------
Koichi Suzuki

Re: Make man on CentOS 5.6

Дата:
Koichi Suzuki <koichi.szk@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm now trying to compile man? on CentOS 5.6 and it fails.   Message
> says it cannot find templates "bold" and "pgsql-docs@postgresql.org".

I confirm that this fails on RHEL5.7, with docbook-style-xsl-1.69.1-5.1.
It works all right on my F14 box, with docbook-style-xsl-1.76.1-1.fc14.
As far as I can tell, there is no "bold" template in the 1.69.1 files,
though I do see it in the 1.76.1 files.  So this looks to me like we
have a minimum version dependency for docbook-style-xsl, and a
relatively recent one at that (1.69 is six or so years old).

I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but we ought to document
what is the minimum version that will work.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Make man on CentOS 5.6

I wrote:
> As far as I can tell, there is no "bold" template in the 1.69.1 files,
> though I do see it in the 1.76.1 files.  So this looks to me like we
> have a minimum version dependency for docbook-style-xsl, and a
> relatively recent one at that (1.69 is six or so years old).

Some digging in the docbook release notes suggests that this probably
changed in 1.73.0, which was released in July 2007:

  * Michael(tm) Smith: synop.xsl; block.xsl; info.xsl; inline.xsl; lists.xsl;
    endnotes.xsl;

    Changed handling of bold and italic/underline output in manpages
    output. Should be transparent to users, but...

    This touches handling of all bold and italic/underline output. The
    exact change is that the mode="bold" and mode="italic" utility
    templates were changed to named templates. (I think maybe I've
    changed it back and forth from mode to named before, so this is
    maybe re-reverting it yet again).

I haven't actually tested whether we can build against 1.73.0, but that
seems like a good place to start.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Make man on CentOS 5.6

От
Koichi Suzuki
Дата:
Thanks a lot for the info.   I visited the docbook page, got the
latest style sheet and it worked fine.
----------
Koichi Suzuki

2011/8/19 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> I wrote:
>> As far as I can tell, there is no "bold" template in the 1.69.1 files,
>> though I do see it in the 1.76.1 files.  So this looks to me like we
>> have a minimum version dependency for docbook-style-xsl, and a
>> relatively recent one at that (1.69 is six or so years old).
>
> Some digging in the docbook release notes suggests that this probably
> changed in 1.73.0, which was released in July 2007:
>
>  * Michael(tm) Smith: synop.xsl; block.xsl; info.xsl; inline.xsl; lists.xsl;
>    endnotes.xsl;
>
>    Changed handling of bold and italic/underline output in manpages
>    output. Should be transparent to users, but...
>
>    This touches handling of all bold and italic/underline output. The
>    exact change is that the mode="bold" and mode="italic" utility
>    templates were changed to named templates. (I think maybe I've
>    changed it back and forth from mode to named before, so this is
>    maybe re-reverting it yet again).
>
> I haven't actually tested whether we can build against 1.73.0, but that
> seems like a good place to start.
>
>                        regards, tom lane

Re: Make man on CentOS 5.6

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On tor, 2011-08-18 at 16:17 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I haven't actually tested whether we can build against 1.73.0, but that
> seems like a good place to start.

It turned out that 1.74.0 was the old version that works.  Documented
that.