From: Welty, Richard <rwelty@ltionline.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] 9.1.3: launching streaming replication
To: Michael Nolan <htfoot@gmail.com>

>you may want to do something with the other, then, as it's what came up when i went searching >for help.

to amplify, the other page comes up first in a google search for "postgresql streaming replication" which is how i found it.

richard

Not sure how I found the other page first, but I'll look at that page, it looks like it hasn't been updated for 9.1 yet, either.  It also doesn't show up in the topic category page for replication. http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:Replication

I don't how to update that one (or if that's left up to the administrators), so I'm sending this note on to the pgsql-docs list as well.
--
Mike Nolan

Re: Fwd: [GENERAL] 9.1.3: launching streaming replication

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On 04/03/2012 06:21 PM, Michael Nolan wrote:

> From: *Welty, Richard* <rwelty@ltionline.com <mailto:rwelty@ltionline.com>>
> to amplify, the other page comes up first in a google search for
> "postgresql streaming replication" which is how i found it.
>
> Not sure how I found the other page first, but I'll look at that page,
> it looks like it hasn't been updated for 9.1 yet, either.  It also
> doesn't show up in the topic category page for replication.
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:Replication

Mike already fixed the category problem himself.  I just updated
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Streaming_Replication so that it
suggests users visit the official docs and tutorial on the wiki, since
we can't just make Google unlike that page easily.

P.S. Mike:  please fill in the "Summary" box about what you're changing
when you update wiki content, or click the "This is minor edit" box if
there's no serious content change.  Streams of edits with no description
are hard to tell from spam.

Re: Fwd: [GENERAL] 9.1.3: launching streaming replication

От
Michael Nolan

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

Mike already fixed the category problem himself.  I just updated http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Streaming_Replication so that it suggests users visit the official docs and tutorial on the wiki, since we can't just make Google unlike that page easily.

Greg, there's sort of an inconsistency between the developer-oriented streaming replication page and the tutorial.

The streaming replication page says to copy the entire data directory, which would include the WAL logs in the pg_xlog directory.  The 5 minute version in the binary replication tutorial skips that directory, the longer one copies it separately, after the backup is complete, so that the slave can perform any committed changes as part of syncing up with the master.

I assume that there is no harm in copying the pg_xlog directory in the 5 minute version, and it was left out as a time-saver.  However, if the master fails and the slave has to take over, wouldn't it need the pg_xlog directory?  If it hasn't been created, could that cause problems or would the backend know to create it?
--
Mike Nolan