Обсуждение: having trouble building the postgres-A4.pdf

having trouble building the postgres-A4.pdf

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
Part of the prep work for building the RPMs is building the pdf docs.  The
postgres-US.pdf built ok, but I'm receiving the following when trying to build
the postgres-A4.pdf:

Overfull \hbox (2.39996pt too wide) in alignment at lines 230738--232257
 [] [] [] [] []
[239.0.8] [240.0.8] [241.0.8] [242.0.8]
Overfull \hbox (1.59999pt too wide) in alignment at lines 232562--232622
 [] [] []

Overfull \hbox (1.59999pt too wide) in alignment at lines 232622--233010
 [] [] []
[243.0.8
! pdfTeX error (ext4): \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd
fstartlink.
<to be read again>
                   \endgroup \set@typeset@protect
l.233304 ...esult in a run-\/time lookup.\endPar{}
                                                  \endNode{}\endDisplayGroup...

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
Transcript written on postgres-A4.log.
make: *** [postgres-A4.pdf] Error 1
rm postgres-A4.tex-pdf

I found this older thread with a similar error:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/9473.1296172647@sss.pgh.pa.us

Help?

--
Jeff Frost <jeff@pgexperts.com>
CTO, PostgreSQL Experts, Inc.

Re: having trouble building the postgres-A4.pdf

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
On 06/26/13 10:31, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Jeff Frost wrote:
>
>> ! pdfTeX error (ext4): \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd
>> fstartlink.
> Did you see this one?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3b4139a6e0ceea903dd359b7035d5d4a.squirrel@webmail.xs4all.nl

I just found it, thank you!  Will give those suggestions a shot.

--
Jeff Frost <jeff@pgexperts.com>
CTO, PostgreSQL Experts, Inc.
Phone: 1-888-PG-EXPRT x506
FAX: 415-762-5122
http://www.pgexperts.com/

Re: having trouble building the postgres-A4.pdf

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Jeff Frost wrote:

> ! pdfTeX error (ext4): \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd
> fstartlink.

Did you see this one?

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3b4139a6e0ceea903dd359b7035d5d4a.squirrel@webmail.xs4all.nl

Re: having trouble building the postgres-A4.pdf

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
On 06/26/13 10:34, Jeff Frost wrote:
> On 06/26/13 10:31, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Jeff Frost wrote:
>>
>>> ! pdfTeX error (ext4): \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd
>>> fstartlink.
>> Did you see this one?
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3b4139a6e0ceea903dd359b7035d5d4a.squirrel@webmail.xs4all.nl
>>

> I just found it, thank you!  Will give those suggestions a shot.

Well, shoot. I built a Wheezy VM, installed texlive2012 and openjade1.3, but I
still get this error with the 9.3beta2 postgres-A4.pdf:

[243.0.11
! pdfTeX error (ext4): \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd
fstartlink.
\AtBegShi@Output ...ipout \box \AtBeginShipoutBox
                                                  \fi \fi
l.233304 ...esult in a run-\/time lookup.\endPar{}
                                                  \endNode{}\endDisplayGroup...

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 22156 strings out of 482156
 175817 string characters out of 3785924
 310162 words of memory out of 3085000
 27148 multiletter control sequences out of 15000+500000
 80861 words of font info for 131 fonts, out of 3000000 for 9000
 14 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
 30i,12n,43p,307b,1360s stack positions out of 1500i,500n,1500p,200000b,50000s
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

--
Jeff Frost <jeff@pgexperts.com>
CTO, PostgreSQL Experts, Inc.
Phone: 1-888-PG-EXPRT x506
FAX: 415-762-5122
http://www.pgexperts.com/

Re: having trouble building the postgres-A4.pdf

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Jeff Frost wrote:
> On 06/26/13 10:34, Jeff Frost wrote:

> >> Did you see this one?
> >>
> >> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3b4139a6e0ceea903dd359b7035d5d4a.squirrel@webmail.xs4all.nl
> >>
> > I just found it, thank you!  Will give those suggestions a shot.
>
> Well, shoot. I built a Wheezy VM, installed texlive2012 and openjade1.3, but I
> still get this error with the 9.3beta2 postgres-A4.pdf:

Did you make sure that it's running the correct openjade?  Maybe you
need to rerun configure.  I don't remember what I did, perhaps I just
changed Makefile.global to point to the right one.

Re: having trouble building the postgres-A4.pdf

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
On 06/26/13 11:55, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Jeff Frost wrote:

>>> I just found it, thank you!  Will give those suggestions a shot.
>> Well, shoot. I built a Wheezy VM, installed texlive2012 and openjade1.3, but I
>> still get this error with the 9.3beta2 postgres-A4.pdf:
> Did you make sure that it's running the correct openjade?  Maybe you
> need to rerun configure.  I don't remember what I did, perhaps I just
> changed Makefile.global to point to the right one.

Yah, it's a different error when it's the wrong openjade version.

It looks like this one that's in the docs:

openjade:./stylesheet.dsl:664:2:E: flow object not accepted by port; only display flow objects accepted
make: *** [postgres-A4.tex-pdf] Segmentation fault

jeff@wheezy:~/src/postgresql-9.3beta2/doc/src/sgml$ openjade --version
openjade:I: "openjade" version "1.3.2"
openjade:I: "OpenSP" version "1.5.2"

BTW, I should mention that the US PDF builds fine on both my old system and
the new wheezy system.  Also, the beta1 PDFs both build fine.

--
Jeff Frost <jeff@pgexperts.com>
CTO, PostgreSQL Experts, Inc.
Phone: 1-888-PG-EXPRT x506
FAX: 415-762-5122
http://www.pgexperts.com/

Re: having trouble building the postgres-A4.pdf

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Jeff Frost wrote:

> Yah, it's a different error when it's the wrong openjade version.
>
> It looks like this one that's in the docs:
>
> openjade:./stylesheet.dsl:664:2:E: flow object not accepted by port; only display flow objects accepted
> make: *** [postgres-A4.tex-pdf] Segmentation fault

Hmm, I recall seeing this one as well, but I don't recall the fix for
it.  Did you tweak the jadetex config?

Re: having trouble building the postgres-A4.pdf

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
On Jun 26, 2013, at 12:07 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> Jeff Frost wrote:
>
>> Yah, it's a different error when it's the wrong openjade version.
>>
>> It looks like this one that's in the docs:
>>
>> openjade:./stylesheet.dsl:664:2:E: flow object not accepted by port; only display flow objects accepted
>> make: *** [postgres-A4.tex-pdf] Segmentation fault
>
> Hmm, I recall seeing this one as well, but I don't recall the fix for
> it.  Did you tweak the jadetex config?

Sorry, that might have been confusing.

I was just pointing out that this is the error you receive if you have the wrong openjade version.

I am not receiving that error.  I am receiving this when building postgres-A4.pdf for beta2.  postgres-US.pdf builds
fine.

[243.0.11
! pdfTeX error (ext4): \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd
fstartlink.
\AtBegShi@Output ...ipout \box \AtBeginShipoutBox
                                                  \fi \fi
l.233304 ...esult in a run-\/time lookup.\endPar{}
                                                  \endNode{}\endDisplayGroup...

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 22156 strings out of 482156
 175817 string characters out of 3785924
 310162 words of memory out of 3085000
 27148 multiletter control sequences out of 15000+500000
 80861 words of font info for 131 fonts, out of 3000000 for 9000
 14 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
 30i,12n,43p,307b,1360s stack positions out of 1500i,500n,1500p,200000b,50000s
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Re: having trouble building the postgres-A4.pdf

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
On 06/26/13 12:14, Jeff Frost wrote:

> I am receiving this when building postgres-A4.pdf for beta2.  postgres-US.pdf builds fine.
>
> [243.0.11
> ! pdfTeX error (ext4): \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd
> fstartlink.
> \AtBegShi@Output ...ipout \box \AtBeginShipoutBox
>                                                   \fi \fi
> l.233304 ...esult in a run-\/time lookup.\endPar{}
>                                                   \endNode{}\endDisplayGroup...
>

> Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
>  22156 strings out of 482156
>  175817 string characters out of 3785924
>  310162 words of memory out of 3085000
>  27148 multiletter control sequences out of 15000+500000
>  80861 words of font info for 131 fonts, out of 3000000 for 9000
>  14 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
>  30i,12n,43p,307b,1360s stack positions out of 1500i,500n,1500p,200000b,50000s
> !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Alvaro, did both the beta2 PDFs build fine on borka?  If so, could you get
them to me so I can build the RPMs while I figure out the issue with my
tex/jade setup?

Re: having trouble building the postgres-A4.pdf

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Jeff Frost wrote:

> Alvaro, did both the beta2 PDFs build fine on borka?  If so, could you get
> them to me so I can build the RPMs while I figure out the issue with my
> tex/jade setup?

I don't think borka builds those PDFs.  But I tried locally, and I am
sad to report that it fails here as well, whereas the beta1 A4 PDF did
build fine.

Re: having trouble building the postgres-A4.pdf

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
On 06/26/13 12:40, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Jeff Frost wrote:
>
>> Alvaro, did both the beta2 PDFs build fine on borka?  If so, could you get
>> them to me so I can build the RPMs while I figure out the issue with my
>> tex/jade setup?
> I don't think borka builds those PDFs.  But I tried locally, and I am
> sad to report that it fails here as well, whereas the beta1 A4 PDF did
> build fine.

Well, happy to hear that I'm not special, but sad to hear that it doesn't
build. :-/

Any idea how to fix it?

--
Jeff Frost <jeff@pgexperts.com>
CTO, PostgreSQL Experts, Inc.
Phone: 1-888-PG-EXPRT x506
FAX: 415-762-5122
http://www.pgexperts.com/

Re: having trouble building the postgres-A4.pdf

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Jeff Frost wrote:

> Well, happy to hear that I'm not special, but sad to hear that it doesn't
> build. :-/

Agreed on both counts.

> Any idea how to fix it?

Nope, but maybe try to build the PDF using the XML toolchain?

Re: having trouble building the postgres-A4.pdf

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
On Jun 26, 2013, at 13:20, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>> Any idea how to fix it?
>
> Nope, but maybe try to build the PDF using the XML toolchain?

I'm afraid that's a bit out of my depth. I would speculate that since the US PDF builds and the A4 format is smaller,
it'sa sizing problem, but I've no idea how to fix that sort of thing.

Re: having trouble building the postgres-A4.pdf

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Jeff Frost wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2013, at 13:20, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> >> Any idea how to fix it?
> >
> > Nope, but maybe try to build the PDF using the XML toolchain?
>
> I'm afraid that's a bit out of my depth. I would speculate that since the US PDF builds and the A4 format is smaller,
it'sa sizing problem, but I've no idea how to fix that sort of thing.

In previous threads the conclusion has been that that error occurs when
linked text crosses a page boundary.  So whether it occurs for any
particular build depends on whether that happens due to mere chance.
For example maybe if you just add a couple words before the broken text,
it will cause the linked text to move enough that it all goes on the

Supposedly TeXLive 2013 fixed that bug, but evidently not, or not
completely.  Perhaps we could have the TeXLive developers look at the
current problem.  But I don't know whether the bug is openjade's or
pdftex' ...

You can have a look at the tex source file by doing "make
postgres-A4.tex-pdf".  But it's pretty obscure.

Re: having trouble building the postgres-A4.pdf

Дата:
Jeff Frost <jeff@pgexperts.com> writes:
> Any idea how to fix it?

This is the old "page break in the middle of a link" problem, discussed
on this list as recently as 2 weeks ago:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20926.1371131136@sss.pgh.pa.us
You don't see it on US-size paper because the page breaks are in
different places.

The underlying bug is allegedly fixed as of TeX Live 2012; can you get
hold of a newer toolchain?

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

> The underlying bug is allegedly fixed as of TeX Live 2012; can you get
> hold of a newer toolchain?

It fails there as well, I just tried.

$ pdfjadetex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012/Debian)
 restricted \write18 enabled.

I wrote:
> The underlying bug is allegedly fixed as of TeX Live 2012; can you get
> hold of a newer toolchain?

Oh, scratch that, I skimmed the thread too quickly and missed that
you'd already tried one.

As was suggested back in the oldest thread cited, we could reword to
avoid a line break within a link, if you can identify which link is
problematic.  I'm unfortunately unable to build PDFs at all right now
(still waiting for the replacement for my Red Hat hardware to show up)
so I can't do any of the legwork on this.

            regards, tom lane