Обсуждение: Problems compiling

Problems compiling

От
Jonathan Scott
Дата:
Hello fellow PostgreSQL users.:)

I am having trouble with the configure file for version 6.4.2. I have
installed and configured and compiled it before without this problem.
However this is a new machine with a wacked out debian install. Here is
the output from my configure run:

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql

checking echo setting...
checking setting template to... linux_i386
checking setting USE_LOCALE... disabled
checking setting CYR_RECODE... disabled
checking setting MULTIBYTE... disabled
checking setting DEF_PGPORT... 5432
checking setting USE_TCL... disabled
checking setting USE_PERL... disabled
checking setting USE_ODBC... disabled
checking setting ASSERT CHECKING... disabled
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
- setting CPPFLAGS=
- setting LDFLAGS=
checking for c++... no
checking for g++... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc   ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler cannot create executables.

Any ideas? I cannot figure it out. Please help, this is for a senior
project I am working on and I cannot graduate if I dont get it done!:)

TIA,

Jonathan Scott

Re: Problems compiling

От
Felix Morley Finch
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler cannot create executables.

My memory of the last couple of egcs/glibc installs is that the
/lib/cpp symlink is not updated, and root had better have umask 022 or
permissions don't get set right.  Even with umask 022,
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/... has an include directory owned by whoever did the
compiling, and permissions also unchanged.

And I do remember getting that strange message, but I'm not at all
sure if it was caused by the mis-behaving install.

(I sent email to the maintainers, but they alleged it was my fault,
and it hasn't been fixed in the year since then.)

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
  PGP = 91 B3 94 7C E9 E8 76 2D   E1 63 51 AA A0 48 89 2F  ITAR license #4933

Re: [GENERAL] Problems compiling

От
Gilles Darold
Дата:
Hi,

Part II (translation) : You need C++ compiler installed on you Linux box.

See your log :
> checking for c++... no
> checking for g++... no
This is the reason.

Regard,

Gilles.

Jonathan Scott wrote:

> Hello fellow PostgreSQL users.:)
>
> I am having trouble with the configure file for version 6.4.2. I have
> installed and configured and compiled it before without this problem.
> However this is a new machine with a wacked out debian install. Here is
> the output from my configure run:
>
> $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql

> checking echo setting...
> checking setting template to... linux_i386
> checking setting USE_LOCALE... disabled
> checking setting CYR_RECODE... disabled
> checking setting MULTIBYTE... disabled
> checking setting DEF_PGPORT... 5432
> checking setting USE_TCL... disabled
> checking setting USE_PERL... disabled
> checking setting USE_ODBC... disabled
> checking setting ASSERT CHECKING... disabled
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 ) works... yes
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 ) is a cross-compiler... no
> checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
> checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
> - setting CPPFLAGS=
> - setting LDFLAGS=
> checking for c++... no
> checking for g++... no
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc   ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler cannot create executables.
>
> Any ideas? I cannot figure it out. Please help, this is for a senior
> project I am working on and I cannot graduate if I dont get it done!:)
>
> TIA,
>
> Jonathan Scott

Re: [GENERAL] Problems compiling

От
Stuart Rison
Дата:
>Hi,
>
>Part II (translation) : You need C++ compiler installed on you Linux box.
>
>See your log :
>> checking for c++... no
>> checking for g++... no
>This is the reason.
>
>Regard,
>
>Gilles.

Does this mean you cannot compile PG 6.4.2 without a C++ compiler or just
that if you don't have a C++ compiler, you need to change your config flags
appropriately and lose some of the functionality?

regards,

Stuart.

+-------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Stuart Rison            | Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research |
+-------------------------+ 91 Riding House Street               |
| Tel. (0171) 878 4041    | London, W1P 8BT, UNITED KINGDOM.     |
| Fax. (0171) 878 4040    | stuart@ludwig.ucl.ac.uk              |
+-------------------------+--------------------------------------+

Re: [GENERAL] Problems compiling

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Jonathan Scott wrote:
> checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc   ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler cannot create executables.
>
> Any ideas? I cannot figure it out. Please help, this is for a senior
> project I am working on and I cannot graduate if I dont get it done!:)

   ./configure --without-CXX

   This disables C++ completely, so you couldn't use libpq++.

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net

Re: [GENERAL] Problems compiling

От
Gilles Darold
Дата:
 Hi stuart,

It means that (as I know) you don't need C++ compiler to compile and run
PostgreSQL
on your machine. But you will not be able to link C++ application with
PostgreSQL.
Why? This is because you will not have Libpq++ compiled. Ok, I promise you to
be
more efficient next time :-)))

Regards