Обсуждение: Re: [GENERAL] Oracle vs. Postgres

Re: [GENERAL] Oracle vs. Postgres

От
"Jonathan davis"

>Has anybody done a performance comparison between Oracle (~ 8.0.5) and
>Postgres (~ 6.5)?
>Thank you,
>
>        Esteban

see the site www.postgresql.org/ and go to rubrique info central,
competition
it was the comparison of many of database

> Esteban Chiner Sanz        mailto (work): echiner@tissat.es
> TISSAT                     mailto (home): echiner@abonados.cplus.es
> Av. Aragon, 30, 5ª planta  Phone: 96 393 9950
> Valencia (SPAIN)

Re: [GENERAL] Oracle vs. Postgres

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
Except we don't compare performance...that one I'd like to see as well...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

RE: [GENERAL] Oracle vs. Postgres

От
"Justin Long"
Дата:
Has anyone done speed comparisons between Oracle & PostgreSQL? I am thinking
that when my web site starts getting major hits - we get about 300-400 per
day right now, and there are 35+ tables that drive the content of our site -
that eventually I'll have to move away from PostgreSQL. Any suggestions or
comments?

Never retreat. Never surrender. Never cut a deal with a dragon.
Justin Long                   CIO / Site Editor
616 Station Square Ct         Network for Strategic Missions
Chesapeake, VA 23320          977 Centerville Trnpk CSB 317
JustinLong@xc.org             Va Beach, VA 23463
Check out our site at:        http://www.strategicnetwork.org

Counting pages

От
"Justin Long"
Дата:
I have a question that I cannot seem to solve; I don't know if I should post
it here or somewhere else, but here goes.

I have a logbook database which tracks which pages are being accessed on our
site. I would like to know what the pages with the highest "hits" are. Each
time a page is hit, that page's ID # is stored in the database.

I've tried the following

    SELECT l1.location, count(l2.location) from logbook l1, logbook l2
        where l1.location = l2.location

That was just a guess but of course it didn't work. I've run into this
problem with some related issues; for example, I'd like to be able to give a
particular user a hot link to his/her most referenced page, deducing it in a
simlar way

    SELECT u.userid, count(l.location) from logbook l, member u
        where l.userid=u.userid

But this doesn't work either. I get an error message: 'Illegal use of
aggregates or non-group column in target list.' I've looked over the
documentation but either I'm going blind or stupid because I just don't get
it. Anyone else solved this one?

Thanks,
Justin Long