Обсуждение: Problem connecting NT-psqlODBC to Linux-PostgreSQL

Problem connecting NT-psqlODBC to Linux-PostgreSQL

От
Jelle Ruttenberg
Дата:
Hello all,

I'm trying to connect from a NT via psqlODBC (6.40.0005) to a
Linux-machine with PostgreSQL 6.5.1 up and running. The connection is
refused and in the logfile on the Linux-machine is the following message:

Unable to connect to Ident server on the host which is trying to connect
to Postgres (IP address 212.52.7.241, Port 113). errno = Connection
refused (111)

In the PostgreSQL-homedir there is also a file odbcinst.ini. Because I
didn't install PostgreSQL myself, I don't know why it's there and if this
can cause the trouble.

Thanks,
Jelle.

                   NEROC Publishing Solutions

                      Jelle Ruttenberg

De Run 1131, 5503 LB Veldhoven    Phone  : +31-(0)40-2586641
P.O.Box 133, 5500 AC Veldhoven    Fax    : +31-(0)40-2541893
The Netherlands                   E-mail : ruttenberg@neroc.nl

Re: [GENERAL] Problem connecting NT-psqlODBC to Linux-PostgreSQL

От
Herouth Maoz
Дата:
At 11:31 +0200 on 07/09/1999, Jelle Ruttenberg wrote:

> Unable to connect to Ident server on the host which is trying to connect
> to Postgres (IP address 212.52.7.241, Port 113). errno = Connection
> refused (111)

This seems to indicate that your Postgres authentication method is "ident",
rather than "trust" or "password". It needs an ident server to be running
on the client computer, to authenticate that the user making the connection
is indeed who he claims to be. That is, on your NT.

Either choose a different authentication method, or run an ident server on
the NT (is there such a beast?).

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma

Re: [GENERAL] Problem connecting NT-psqlODBC to Linux-PostgreSQL

От
Teodor Cimpoesu
Дата:
Jelle Ruttenberg wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to connect from a NT via psqlODBC (6.40.0005) to a
> Linux-machine with PostgreSQL 6.5.1 up and running. The connection is
> refused and in the logfile on the Linux-machine is the following message:
>
> Unable to connect to Ident server on the host which is trying to connect
> to Postgres (IP address 212.52.7.241, Port 113). errno = Connection
> refused (111)
>
> In the PostgreSQL-homedir there is also a file odbcinst.ini. Because I
> didn't install PostgreSQL myself, I don't know why it's there and if this
> can cause the trouble.
>
> Thanks,
> Jelle.
I think it has to do w/ pg_hba.conf
it's under $PGDATA/database , iirc. Take a look @ it.
Second, hmm, your port is 113 but I know the default is 5432.
If nobody is listening to a port where you are trying to connect, you
get
the same respone (connection refused).

--
CIMPOESU Teodor, Web Programmer

@ DIGICOM S.A. Bucharest, Romania
@ Internet, site development
@ teo@digiro.net,+(401)-330.47.28

official home page ~ http://www.digiro.net/
Internet  web page ~ http://internet.digiro.net/

Re: [GENERAL] Problem connecting NT-psqlODBC to Linux-PostgreSQL

От
Herouth Maoz
Дата:
At 12:37 +0200 on 07/09/1999, Teodor Cimpoesu wrote:

> Second, hmm, your port is 113 but I know the default is 5432.
> If nobody is listening to a port where you are trying to connect, you
> get the same respone (connection refused).

No, you got that wrong. Port 113 is on the CLIENT side. It goes like this:

* NT tries to connect to port 5432 on Postgres server

* The pg_hba.conf defines the authentication for this client as
  "ident"

* Therefore Postgres server tries to connect to the ident server on
  the NT. This is done through port 113 on the NT

* Postgres doesn't find anybody on the NT listening to that port.
  That means no ident server is running on the NT.

* Connection is therefore refused because user could not be
  authenticated.

Herouth