Обсуждение: foriegn key...

foriegn key...

От
Andrew Schmeder
Дата:
Where can I find documentation on using foriegn keys in Postgres 7?

Thx,
-Andy

Re: foriegn key...

От
Adrian Urquhart
Дата:
On 11 Apr 2000 17:55:43 -0400, andy@qabobala.xapnet.com (Andrew
Schmeder) wrote:

AFAIK Postgres doesn't (yet) directly support foreign keys. You have
to supply that ability yourself, possibly through triggers and
procedures.

Adrian.

>Where can I find documentation on using foriegn keys in Postgres 7?
>

>Thx,
>-Andy

Re: foriegn key...

От
Mike Mascari
Дата:
Adrian Urquhart wrote:

> On 11 Apr 2000 17:55:43 -0400, andy@qabobala.xapnet.com (Andrew
> Schmeder) wrote:
>
> AFAIK Postgres doesn't (yet) directly support foreign keys. You have
> to supply that ability yourself, possibly through triggers and
> procedures.

He's talking about version 7, which does. If you check CVS you'll
see that today the SGML documentation for CREATE TABLE has been
updated to reflect version 7's support for foreign keys. So, the
next beta or first release candidate should have it documented...

Hope that helps,

Mike Mascari

> Adrian.
>
> >Where can I find documentation on using foriegn keys in Postgres 7?
> >

> >Thx,
> >-Andy

Re: foriegn key...

От
Andrew Schmeder
Дата:
> AFAIK Postgres doesn't (yet) directly support foreign keys. You have
> to supply that ability yourself, possibly through triggers and
> procedures.

I am using version 7.0 beta 5... and btw, I found a little snippit of
code syntax on this page: http://www.postgresql.org/projects/devel-refint.html
which is good enough to meet my needs for now.

hasta,
Andy

Re: foriegn key...

От
Manuel Cabido
Дата:
  Better try to install PostgreSQL version 7 and experiment on referential
integrity...

--
                              Manny C. Cabido
                              ====================================

Re: foriegn key...

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
> > AFAIK Postgres doesn't (yet) directly support foreign keys. You have
> > to supply that ability yourself, possibly through triggers and
> > procedures.
>
> I am using version 7.0 beta 5... and btw, I found a little snippit of
> code syntax on this page: http://www.postgresql.org/projects/devel-refint.html
> which is good enough to meet my needs for now.

    Final  will  have  the appropriate doc changes. Sorry for the
    delay, I just forgot a doc patch in my mailbox.

Jan

Re: foriegn key...

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
> On 11 Apr 2000 17:55:43 -0400, andy@qabobala.xapnet.com (Andrew
> Schmeder) wrote:
>
> AFAIK Postgres doesn't (yet) directly support foreign keys. You have
> to supply that ability yourself, possibly through triggers and
> procedures.

AFAIK (and I led the project),

    v7.0  (released  soon  and  the version he asked about) has a
    fear amount of FK support.  The  implementation  misses  only
    MATCH  PARTIAL  and  PENDANT from the SQL3 specs, so it's far
    more than SQL92!

    Special thanks go to Stephan Szabo and Don Baccus; both where
    major contributors to the project.

Jan