Обсуждение: 6.5.3 -> 7.0 upgrade went smoothly, thanks

6.5.3 -> 7.0 upgrade went smoothly, thanks

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
pg_dumpall then using psql to source the file went off perfectly.

Just a nit, where's the manpages in 7.0? :)

Thanks for the excellent database system, and best of luck with
the recent step up in the business and political open source world!

Re: 6.5.3 -> 7.0 upgrade went smoothly, thanks

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> pg_dumpall then using psql to source the file went off perfectly.
>
> Just a nit, where's the manpages in 7.0? :)
>
> Thanks for the excellent database system, and best of luck with
> the recent step up in the business and political open source world!

For those that use CVS, you have to download the doc package to get the
manuals and manual pages.  They are no longer part of CVS.

Re: 6.5.3 -> 7.0 upgrade went smoothly, thanks

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [000510 13:35] wrote:
> > pg_dumpall then using psql to source the file went off perfectly.
> >
> > Just a nit, where's the manpages in 7.0? :)
> >
> > Thanks for the excellent database system, and best of luck with
> > the recent step up in the business and political open source world!
>
> For those that use CVS, you have to download the doc package to get the
> manuals and manual pages.  They are no longer part of CVS.

I can understand not wanting to keep the formatted manpages and such
under CVS, but why remove the manpages entirely from the repo?  It
makes little sense to me because it makes it more complex to submit
changes.

How does one submit changes to the manpages now?  Is there some way
to get them via cvsup/cvs?

Re: 6.5.3 -> 7.0 upgrade went smoothly, thanks

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> * Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [000510 13:35] wrote:
> > > pg_dumpall then using psql to source the file went off perfectly.
> > >
> > > Just a nit, where's the manpages in 7.0? :)
> > >
> > > Thanks for the excellent database system, and best of luck with
> > > the recent step up in the business and political open source world!
> >
> > For those that use CVS, you have to download the doc package to get the
> > manuals and manual pages.  They are no longer part of CVS.
>
> I can understand not wanting to keep the formatted manpages and such
> under CVS, but why remove the manpages entirely from the repo?  It
> makes little sense to me because it makes it more complex to submit
> changes.

I assume they are in the main tarball.  However, I think they are kept
in man.tar.gz, and the docs maybe have to be installed in a separate
step.  Obviously, I am not sure.

> How does one submit changes to the manpages now?  Is there some way
> to get them via cvsup/cvs?

They are in SGML format in pgsql/doc/src/sgml.

Re: 6.5.3 -> 7.0 upgrade went smoothly, thanks

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [000510 14:17] wrote:

> > > For those that use CVS, you have to download the doc package to get the
> > > manuals and manual pages.  They are no longer part of CVS.
> >
> > I can understand not wanting to keep the formatted manpages and such
> > under CVS, but why remove the manpages entirely from the repo?  It
> > makes little sense to me because it makes it more complex to submit
> > changes.
>
> I assume they are in the main tarball.  However, I think they are kept
> in man.tar.gz, and the docs maybe have to be installed in a separate
> step.  Obviously, I am not sure.
>
> > How does one submit changes to the manpages now?  Is there some way
> > to get them via cvsup/cvs?
>
> They are in SGML format in pgsql/doc/src/sgml.

Oh, that's cool, I'm glad whenever autogenerated stuff is removed
from the tree because it certainly helps my download time especially
when getting a new repo.

thanks,