Обсуждение: Postgresql usage clip.

Postgresql usage clip.

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
http://www.indiaserver.com/thehindu/2000/05/26/stories/0426211w.htm

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Erich
Дата:
What an insulting article!  They say that PostgreSQL is "equal" in
efficiency to MS SQL.  The rest of it was pretty good, though.

This message was my two cents worth.  Please deposit two cents into my
e-gold account by following this link:
http://rootworks.com/twocentsworth.cgi?102861
275A B627 1826 D627 ED35  B8DF 7DDE 4428 0F5C 4454

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Gunnar R|nning
Дата:
Erich <hh@cyberpass.net> writes:

> What an insulting article!  They say that PostgreSQL is "equal" in
> efficiency to MS SQL.  The rest of it was pretty good, though.

And Oracle. I would love to see more "neutral" performance tests between
databases though. I suppose MS SQL could be could good for somethings as it
is based on the code bought from Sybase.

Still, the effiency can be a lot of things. I like PostgreSQL mainly
because I can develop and deploy applications in a cost efficient way with
it. But this equation will ofcourse depend on your organizations demands
and skills.

Regards,

    Gunnar

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Lincoln Yeoh
Дата:
At 12:57 PM 29-05-2000 -0700, Erich wrote:

>What an insulting article!  They say that PostgreSQL is "equal" in
>efficiency to MS SQL.  The rest of it was pretty good, though.

Actually it said efficacy - more like effectiveness. You can be efficient
but not effective and vice versa.

Well whatever it is, it's a nice article to show the PHBs.

Cheerio,
Link.

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Tue, 30 May 2000, Lincoln Yeoh wrote:

> >What an insulting article!  They say that PostgreSQL is "equal" in
> >efficiency to MS SQL.  The rest of it was pretty good, though.
>
> Actually it said efficacy - more like effectiveness. You can be efficient
> but not effective and vice versa.

Efficient but not effective... you mean like MySQL? :-P

Brett W. McCoy
                                              http://www.chapelperilous.net
"The Lord gave us farmers two strong hands so we could grab as much as
we could with both of them."
        -- Joseph Heller, "Catch-22"

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Ron Chmara
Дата:
"Brett W. McCoy" wrote:

> On Tue, 30 May 2000, Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
>
> > >What an insulting article!  They say that PostgreSQL is "equal" in
> > >efficiency to MS SQL.  The rest of it was pretty good, though.
> >
> > Actually it said efficacy - more like effectiveness. You can be efficient
> > but not effective and vice versa.
>
> Efficient but not effective... you mean like MySQL? :-P

This has "fire" written all over it....

But as somebody who uses both, in large scale (er.. global) enterprise
level data management, each has it's place. MySQL has much faster
simple table scans, but it cannot handle the complex structures that
Pgsql can. Pgsql has scads of additional features, but is limited
in platform support compared to mysql.

Heck, on a global level, we're also managing Access, MSSQL, Oracle,
Access, and even Filemaker. They all have features that others can't
even come close to. That's why homogeneity in the data center, or
the desktop, is a bad thing. Use what works best, when it works best.

:-)

-Ronabop

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 29 May 2000, Ron Chmara wrote:

> > > Actually it said efficacy - more like effectiveness. You can be efficient
> > > but not effective and vice versa.
> >
> > Efficient but not effective... you mean like MySQL? :-P
>
> This has "fire" written all over it....
>
> But as somebody who uses both, in large scale (er.. global) enterprise
> level data management, each has it's place. MySQL has much faster
> simple table scans, but it cannot handle the complex structures that
> Pgsql can. Pgsql has scads of additional features, but is limited
> in platform support compared to mysql.

Huh?  You caught my eye on this one ... what platform are we missing? :(

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Mon, 29 May 2000, Ron Chmara wrote:

> This has "fire" written all over it....
>
> But as somebody who uses both, in large scale (er.. global) enterprise
> level data management, each has it's place. MySQL has much faster
> simple table scans, but it cannot handle the complex structures that
> Pgsql can. Pgsql has scads of additional features, but is limited
> in platform support compared to mysql.

MySQL is great for small websites with small budgets with read-only data
or data that doesn't change often.  It doesn't scale very well at all, and
for larger sites it really falls apart without anyy referential integrity
or supprto for views.  But beyond that, you really need something bigger
like Postgres (for a big site with a small budget) or Oracle (for a huge
site with a huger budget).

Brett W. McCoy
                                              http://www.chapelperilous.net
"The Lord gave us farmers two strong hands so we could grab as much as
we could with both of them."
        -- Joseph Heller, "Catch-22"

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Mon, 29 May 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > This has "fire" written all over it....
> >
> > But as somebody who uses both, in large scale (er.. global) enterprise
> > level data management, each has it's place. MySQL has much faster
> > simple table scans, but it cannot handle the complex structures that
> > Pgsql can. Pgsql has scads of additional features, but is limited
> > in platform support compared to mysql.
>
> Huh?  You caught my eye on this one ... what platform are we missing? :(

Actually, I daresay PostgreSQL runs on more platforms, than other RDBMSes.

Brett W. McCoy
                                              http://www.chapelperilous.net
"The Lord gave us farmers two strong hands so we could grab as much as
we could with both of them."
        -- Joseph Heller, "Catch-22"

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 29 May 2000, Brett W. McCoy wrote:

> On Mon, 29 May 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > > This has "fire" written all over it....
> > >
> > > But as somebody who uses both, in large scale (er.. global) enterprise
> > > level data management, each has it's place. MySQL has much faster
> > > simple table scans, but it cannot handle the complex structures that
> > > Pgsql can. Pgsql has scads of additional features, but is limited
> > > in platform support compared to mysql.
> >
> > Huh?  You caught my eye on this one ... what platform are we missing? :(
>
> Actually, I daresay PostgreSQL runs on more platforms, than other RDBMSes.

That was my understanding too ... which is why I'm really curious as to
which one MySQL runs on that we don't ...

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Ron Chmara
Дата:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>  Pgsql has scads of additional features, but is limited
>  in platform support compared to mysql.
>
> Huh?  You caught my eye on this one ... what platform are we missing? :(

Well, you have binaries for NT, but what about home users/developers on 95? 98?
mySQL even does OS/2. Really.

-Ronabop

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Lincoln Yeoh
Дата:
At 10:28 PM 29-05-2000 -0400, Brett W. McCoy wrote:
>On Tue, 30 May 2000, Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
>
>> >What an insulting article!  They say that PostgreSQL is "equal" in
>> >efficiency to MS SQL.  The rest of it was pretty good, though.
>>
>> Actually it said efficacy - more like effectiveness. You can be efficient
>> but not effective and vice versa.
>
>Efficient but not effective... you mean like MySQL? :-P

Now, now, be nice :).

MySQL is pretty good at most of the things it does and attempts to do. And
I really like the GET LOCK feature/function, is it possible to add
something like that to Postgresql?

And it's fast :).

It seems that with fsync off Postgresql can be just as fast with updates,
but I'm still reluctant to do that as data recovery methods don't seem as
developed on Postgresql - arguably you could say because there's less need
of them compared to other databases ;). But that may only be true if fsync
is _on_.

(I get the impression that you can specify fsync on a per connection basis
with v7.0, that'll be real cool - will be tempted to start up two
connections per app).

How fast comparatively are inserts for Postgresql?

Cheerio,
Link.

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Ron Chmara
Дата:
"Brett W. McCoy" wrote:
> MySQL is great for small websites with small budgets with read-only data
> or data that doesn't change often.  It doesn't scale very well at all, and
> for larger sites it really falls apart without anyy referential integrity
> or supprto for views.  But beyond that, you really need something bigger
> like Postgres (for a big site with a small budget) or Oracle (for a huge
> site with a huger budget).

Have a db comparison toy. Lots of fun.

http://mysql.com/crash-me-choose.htmy

-Bop

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Mon, 29 May 2000, Ron Chmara wrote:
> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > Huh?  You caught my eye on this one ... what platform are we missing? :(

> Well, you have binaries for NT, but what about home users/developers on 95?
98? > mySQL even does OS/2. Really.

For home use/development, run either Linux or FreeBSD in another partition on
your Win9x machine.  Or, even use one of the 'WinLinux' style distributions
that cooexist with Windows very well.  You'll (and PostgreSQL will) be much
happier with a unix-like environment (which Cygwin duplicates anyway for the
Win32 PostgreSQL server) for running the PostgreSQL server.  Get VMWare and run
Win9x in a window on your Linux partition to test  Win9x apps if you must run
Win9x.

Or, port Cygwin to Win9x so that PostgreSQL can run on Win9x.

However, the point is taken -- MySQL does Win9x.  We don't.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Mon, 29 May 2000, Ron Chmara wrote:

> > Huh?  You caught my eye on this one ... what platform are we missing? :(
>
> Well, you have binaries for NT, but what about home users/developers on 95? 98?
> mySQL even does OS/2. Really.

But you have to pay money to run it on those platforms (except for OS/2).

Brett W. McCoy
                                              http://www.chapelperilous.net
Hello.  Jim Rockford's machine, this is Larry Doheny's machine.  Will you
please have your master call my master at his convenience?  Thank you.
Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.
        -- "The Rockford Files"

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Ron Chmara
Дата:
"Brett W. McCoy" wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2000, Ron Chmara wrote:
> > limited
> > in platform support compared to mysql.

And:

> > Well, you have binaries for NT, but what about home users/developers on 95? 98?
> > mySQL even does OS/2. Really.
> But you have to pay money to run it on those platforms (except for OS/2).
> Brett W. McCoy

Yes. How much money has to be paid to run postgreSQL on Win95? Is it
comparable in cost to get support for that platform?

:-)

-Ron

--
Brought to you from iBop the iMac, a MacOS, Win95, Win98, LinuxPPC machine,
which is currently in LinuxPPC land.  Your bopping may vary.

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Ron Chmara
Дата:
Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2000, Ron Chmara wrote:
> > Well, you have binaries for NT, but what about home users/developers on 95?
> 98? > mySQL even does OS/2. Really.
> For home use/development, run either Linux or FreeBSD in another partition on
> your Win9x machine.  Or, even use one of the 'WinLinux' style distributions
> that cooexist with Windows very well.  You'll (and PostgreSQL will) be much
> happier with a unix-like environment (which Cygwin duplicates anyway for the
> Win32 PostgreSQL server) for running the PostgreSQL server.  Get VMWare and run
> Win9x in a window on your Linux partition to test  Win9x apps if you must run
> Win9x.

Hm. See my .sig (missing from prior posts).... yes, it's nice that a hardware
platform can be bent to work with certain applications. I do lots of bending.
However, most users prefer to get applications for their platform, not the
other way round. Not all of us are platform agnostic. ;-)

> However, the point is taken -- MySQL does Win9x.  We don't.

Yet?

-Ronabop

--
Brought to you from iBop the iMac, a MacOS, Win95, Win98, LinuxPPC machine,
which is currently in LinuxPPC land.  Your bopping may vary.

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Mon, 29 May 2000, Ron Chmara wrote:

> > > Well, you have binaries for NT, but what about home users/developers on 95? 98?
> > > mySQL even does OS/2. Really.
> > But you have to pay money to run it on those platforms (except for OS/2).
> > Brett W. McCoy
>
> Yes. How much money has to be paid to run postgreSQL on Win95? Is it
> comparable in cost to get support for that platform?

Can PostgreSQL run on Win9x with CygWin32?

Brett W. McCoy
                                              http://www.chapelperilous.net
Hello.  Jim Rockford's machine, this is Larry Doheny's machine.  Will you
please have your master call my master at his convenience?  Thank you.
Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.
        -- "The Rockford Files"

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Mon, 29 May 2000, Lamar Owen wrote:

> > Well, you have binaries for NT, but what about home users/developers on 95?
> 98? > mySQL even does OS/2. Really.
>
> For home use/development, run either Linux or FreeBSD in another partition on
> your Win9x machine.  Or, even use one of the 'WinLinux' style distributions
> that cooexist with Windows very well.  You'll (and PostgreSQL will) be much
> happier with a unix-like environment (which Cygwin duplicates anyway for the
> Win32 PostgreSQL server) for running the PostgreSQL server.  Get VMWare and run
> Win9x in a window on your Linux partition to test  Win9x apps if you must run
> Win9x.
>
> Or, port Cygwin to Win9x so that PostgreSQL can run on Win9x.

CygWin does run on Windows 9x, doesn't it?  Or at least it used to!

Brett W. McCoy
                                              http://www.chapelperilous.net
Hello.  Jim Rockford's machine, this is Larry Doheny's machine.  Will you
please have your master call my master at his convenience?  Thank you.
Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.
        -- "The Rockford Files"

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 29 May 2000, Brett W. McCoy wrote:

> On Mon, 29 May 2000, Ron Chmara wrote:
>
> > > Huh?  You caught my eye on this one ... what platform are we missing? :(
> >
> > Well, you have binaries for NT, but what about home users/developers on 95? 98?
> > mySQL even does OS/2. Really.
>
> But you have to pay money to run it on those platforms (except for OS/2).

And, I seem to recall someone did an OS/2 binary for PostgreSQL ...

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 29 May 2000, Ron Chmara wrote:

> "Brett W. McCoy" wrote:
> > MySQL is great for small websites with small budgets with read-only data
> > or data that doesn't change often.  It doesn't scale very well at all, and
> > for larger sites it really falls apart without anyy referential integrity
> > or supprto for views.  But beyond that, you really need something bigger
> > like Postgres (for a big site with a small budget) or Oracle (for a huge
> > site with a huger budget).
>
> Have a db comparison toy. Lots of fun.
>
> http://mysql.com/crash-me-choose.htmy

And, sadly, totally inaccurate *sigh*  We've been working with them since
the beginning of time to get them to fix their various benchmarks for
accuracy ... we just recently had a long thread on it where one of the
guys workign witht the MySQL camp was going to push for changes ... but
even then, i believe taht there will be a helluva-lot of discrepencies :(

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Tue, 30 May 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > Well, you have binaries for NT, but what about home users/developers on 95? 98?
> > > mySQL even does OS/2. Really.
> >
> > But you have to pay money to run it on those platforms (except for OS/2).
>
> And, I seem to recall someone did an OS/2 binary for PostgreSQL ...

Gooing by the language in the User Manual, PostgreSQL does seem to work on
Win9x:

"...The only part of the library to really be installed is the libpq.dll
library. This file should in most cases be placed in the WINNT\SYSTEM32
directory (or in WINDOWS\SYSTEM on a Windows 95/98 system)..."

The documentation references using MVC++.

Brett W. McCoy
                                              http://www.chapelperilous.net
Hello.  Jim Rockford's machine, this is Larry Doheny's machine.  Will you
please have your master call my master at his convenience?  Thank you.
Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.
        -- "The Rockford Files"

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:

> > > But you have to pay money to run it on those platforms (except for OS/2).
> > > Brett W. McCoy
> >
> > Yes. How much money has to be paid to run postgreSQL on Win95? Is it
> > comparable in cost to get support for that platform?
>
> Can PostgreSQL run on Win9x with CygWin32?

I have heard we can't because CywWin doesn't support all features on
that platform.

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:

> > > Well, you have binaries for NT, but what about home users/developers on 95? 98?
> > > mySQL even does OS/2. Really.
> >
> > But you have to pay money to run it on those platforms (except for OS/2).
>
> And, I seem to recall someone did an OS/2 binary for PostgreSQL ...

Wasn't that a libpq client?

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Gooing by the language in the User Manual, PostgreSQL does seem to work on
> Win9x:
>
> "...The only part of the library to really be installed is the libpq.dll
> library. This file should in most cases be placed in the WINNT\SYSTEM32
> directory (or in WINDOWS\SYSTEM on a Windows 95/98 system)..."
>
> The documentation references using MVC++.

We support WIn95/98 clients, not servers.

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Tue, 30 May 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > "...The only part of the library to really be installed is the libpq.dll
> > library. This file should in most cases be placed in the WINNT\SYSTEM32
> > directory (or in WINDOWS\SYSTEM on a Windows 95/98 system)..."
> >
> > The documentation references using MVC++.
>
> We support WIn95/98 clients, not servers.

My mistake.

Brett W. McCoy
                                              http://www.chapelperilous.net
For every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill.
        -- R. Clopton

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

Дата:
> We support WIn95/98 clients, not servers.

I thought we did have a cygwin-based server port?  If not, there's
a heckuva lot of useless "PORTNAME=win" conditional compilation in
the backend.

Mind you, I don't think any sane dbadmin would use Windoze as a
platform for a mission-critical application, regardless of database
engine choice.  So the cygwin port is pretty much a toy IMHO.
If MySQL wants to have the toy-application market segment, they're
welcome to it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> > We support WIn95/98 clients, not servers.
>
> I thought we did have a cygwin-based server port?  If not, there's
> a heckuva lot of useless "PORTNAME=win" conditional compilation in
> the backend.
>
> Mind you, I don't think any sane dbadmin would use Windoze as a
> platform for a mission-critical application, regardless of database
> engine choice.  So the cygwin port is pretty much a toy IMHO.
> If MySQL wants to have the toy-application market segment, they're
> welcome to it.

We support servers on NT, but not on Win95/98.  Cygwin supports both,
but the Win95/98 has missing features that we need.  People have asked
about it, and they have said they were going to try Win95/98 and report
back on the problems they had, but no one has.  I assume they got lots
of "unimplemented" messages from Cygwin and gave up.

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
John Steele
Дата:
>> Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
>> > We support WIn95/98 clients, not servers.
>>
>> I thought we did have a cygwin-based server port?  If not, there's
>> a heckuva lot of useless "PORTNAME=win" conditional compilation in
>> the backend.
>>
>> Mind you, I don't think any sane dbadmin would use Windoze as a
>> platform for a mission-critical application, regardless of database
>> engine choice.  So the cygwin port is pretty much a toy IMHO.
>> If MySQL wants to have the toy-application market segment, they're
>> welcome to it.
>
>We support servers on NT, but not on Win95/98.  Cygwin supports both,
>but the Win95/98 has missing features that we need.  People have asked
>about it, and they have said they were going to try Win95/98 and report
>back on the problems they had, but no one has.  I assume they got lots
>of "unimplemented" messages from Cygwin and gave up.

  IMO, having a 'toy' server during development on a win9x platform would be really nice.  Coming from a MySQL/PHP
background,it sure is nice to take the laptop out on a nice day and be able to develop 'real' applications that are
thenmoved to a real server platform.

  I just tried the latest NT port binaries, hoping that I could at least start up the server process.  Even an
extremelylimited server on this platform would be welcome.  Sometimes you don't get to choose your development OS :(

  I have Cygwin installed, but when I try to start postgres.exe I get the following error message:

FATAL 1:  SetPgUserName: no entry in host passwd file

  I also find no postmaster in the install.  So am I just wasting time?

Thanks,
  John

--
/* SteeleSoft Consulting  John Steele - Systems Analyst/Programmer
 *  We also walk dogs...  jsteele@writeme.com

RE: Postgresql usage clip.

От
"Joseph"
Дата:
> >We support servers on NT, but not on Win95/98.  Cygwin supports both,
> >but the Win95/98 has missing features that we need.  People
> have asked
> >about it, and they have said they were going to try Win95/98
> and report
> >back on the problems they had, but no one has.  I assume
> they got lots
> >of "unimplemented" messages from Cygwin and gave up.
>
>   I just tried the latest NT port binaries, hoping that I
> could at least start up the server process.  Even an
> extremely limited server on this platform would be welcome.
> Sometimes you don't get to choose your development OS :(
>
>   I have Cygwin installed, but when I try to start
> postgres.exe I get the following error message:
>
> FATAL 1:  SetPgUserName: no entry in host passwd file
>
>   I also find no postmaster in the install.  So am I just
> wasting time?
>
> Thanks,
>   John

I tried and succeeded in getting Postgres to run on an NT server.
There are some directions on here that are helpful.
There is a util that collects all the user names and groups and puts them in
a /etc/groups and /etc/users files.

Someone directed me to this site
http://www.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html

Respectfully - Joseph Showalter

RE: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Horák Daniel
Дата:
Here are some ideas about the Win9x port:

Cygwin runs on Win9x quite well, I think only some security features are
missing. We have made some investigation with pgsql on win95 (with Cygwin
B20.1) and found that the problem is (should be ;-) somewhere in server side
libpq (pg_flush) and here I was stopped due "unsufficient resources" (=
time) ;-). I have tested the SysV IPC functionality and it worked well, so
this should not be the problem.
I will try it with the newest cygwin library and do more debugging.

There are also some new interesting features in the newest cygwin that could
be implemented in the WinNT port (like AF_UNIX sockets)

        Dan

PS: some money would help ;-)

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 30 May 2000, John Steele wrote:

>   IMO, having a 'toy' server during development on a win9x platform
> would be really nice.  Coming from a MySQL/PHP background, it sure is
> nice to take the laptop out on a nice day and be able to develop 'real'
> applications that are then moved to a real server platform.

That's why I have FreeBSD on my laptop.  If I'm going to be gone for any
length of time or it's just nice outside I have a mobile development
platform all set to go.  PostgreSQL, apache, php, qmail, xemacs and
everything else I need for development, wireless lan to keep access to
the net if I'm close enough.  Even have wine installed in case I feel like
playing solitare!

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Ned Lilly
Дата:
Hi Gunnar,

Great Bridge has been running PostgreSQL against several of the leading
commercial contenders in some professional benchmarks (TPC-C, TPC-D, AS3AP),
and will be releasing the findings in June.  I think people here will be very
happy with the results... :)

Regards,

Ned Lilly
VP, Hacker Relations
Great Bridge, LLC

Gunnar R|nning wrote:

> Erich <hh@cyberpass.net> writes:
>
> > What an insulting article!  They say that PostgreSQL is "equal" in
> > efficiency to MS SQL.  The rest of it was pretty good, though.
>
> And Oracle. I would love to see more "neutral" performance tests between
> databases though. I suppose MS SQL could be could good for somethings as it
> is based on the code bought from Sybase.
>
> Still, the effiency can be a lot of things. I like PostgreSQL mainly
> because I can develop and deploy applications in a cost efficient way with
> it. But this equation will ofcourse depend on your organizations demands
> and skills.
>
> Regards,
>
>         Gunnar

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Ron Peterson
Дата:
John Steele wrote:

>   IMO, having a 'toy' server during development on a win9x platform would be really nice.  Coming from a MySQL/PHP
background,it sure is nice to take the laptop out on a nice day and be able to develop 'real' applications that are
thenmoved to a real server platform.

Why don't you just run Linux on your laptop?  Dual boot if you need to
Windoze for your day-job.  Then you could develop a real application on
a real operating system.

-Ron-

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Thomas Good
Дата:
On Tue, 30 May 2000, Ron Peterson wrote:

> John Steele wrote:
>
> >   IMO, having a 'toy' server during development on a win9x platform would be really nice.  Coming from a MySQL/PHP
background,it sure is nice to take the laptop out on a nice day and be able to develop 'real' applications that are
thenmoved to a real server platform.

> Why don't you just run Linux on your laptop?  Dual boot if you need to
> Windoze for your day-job.  Then you could develop a real application on
> a real operating system.

Or score a hat trick.  Load FBSD4.0 and Linux along with Windoze.
Use os-bs as a boot loader in the windoze partition.  I do this.
I get to test Pg on both of my work environments.

               North Richmond Community Mental Health Center
Thomas Good, MIS Coordinator                tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
                                                        Phone: 718-354-5528
                                                        Fax:   718-354-5056
 North Richmond Systems       PostgreSQL                 s l a c k w a r e
   Are Powered By:              RDBMS                   |---------- linux

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Ron Chmara wrote:
> "Brett W. McCoy" wrote:
> > MySQL is great for small websites with small budgets with read-only data
> > or data that doesn't change often.  It doesn't scale very well at all, and
> > for larger sites it really falls apart without anyy referential integrity
> > or supprto for views.  But beyond that, you really need something bigger
> > like Postgres (for a big site with a small budget) or Oracle (for a huge
> > site with a huger budget).
>
> Have a db comparison toy. Lots of fun.
>
> http://mysql.com/crash-me-choose.htmy

    There  was  some  discussion  about exactly that crashme this
    month. Some detailed analysis turned  out  that  many  places
    where it says "unsupported" in reality mean "does not support
    MySQL's non standard syntax". Others are totally  mislabeled.

    And  on the performance, it triggered a problem in PostgreSQL
    that is  unlikely  in  real  world  scenarios  (creating  and
    dropping  20,000  tables first, blowing up a system catalog).
    Then running the test queries  with  the  blown  up  catalog.
    Really smart benchmark :-)

Jan

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
John Steele wrote:
>   IMO, having a 'toy' server during development on a win9x platform would be really nice.  Coming from a MySQL/PHP
background,it sure is nice to take the laptop out on a nice day and be able to develop 'real' applications that are
thenmoved to a real server platform.

    What  kind  of LAPTOP do you mean? Wouldn't a slightly bigger
    disk let you install NT or Win2K as alternate boot to have at
    least something worth installing development tools at all?

>   I just tried the latest NT port binaries, hoping that I could at least start up the server process.  Even an
extremelylimited server on this platform would be welcome.  Sometimes you don't get to choose your development OS :(

    If  a piece doesn't fit, don't force it, use a bigger hammer.

    Postgres needs some functionality from the  OS.  Seems  Win9x
    doesn't   provide   all   that,   but   mucking  around  with
    requirements of Postgres is the wrong  way  here.  Especially
    since  Win9x  was already dead when born, only that Microsoft
    keeps it in some  zombie  state  until  they  have  something
    better.   Seems  Win2K  is - so I think it's wasted efford to
    hack Win9x support into Postgres.

Jan

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Joseph Shraibman
Jan Wieck wrote:

> Ron Chmara wrote:
> > "Brett W. McCoy" wrote:
> > > MySQL is great for small websites with small budgets with read-only data
> > > or data that doesn't change often.  It doesn't scale very well at all, and
> > > for larger sites it really falls apart without anyy referential integrity
> > > or supprto for views.  But beyond that, you really need something bigger
> > > like Postgres (for a big site with a small budget) or Oracle (for a huge
> > > site with a huger budget).
> >
> > Have a db comparison toy. Lots of fun.
> >
> > http://mysql.com/crash-me-choose.htmy
>
>     There  was  some  discussion  about exactly that crashme this
>     month. Some detailed analysis turned  out  that  many  places
>     where it says "unsupported" in reality mean "does not support
>     MySQL's non standard syntax". Others are totally  mislabeled.
>
>     And  on the performance, it triggered a problem in PostgreSQL
>     that is  unlikely  in  real  world  scenarios  (creating  and
>     dropping  20,000  tables first, blowing up a system catalog).
>     Then running the test queries  with  the  blown  up  catalog.
>     Really smart benchmark :-)

Well it *is* called crashme.

Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 30 May 2000, Joseph Shraibman wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
> >
> > Ron Chmara wrote:
> > >
> > > Have a db comparison toy. Lots of fun.
> > >
> > > http://mysql.com/crash-me-choose.htmy
> >
> >     There  was  some  discussion  about exactly that crashme this
> >     month. Some detailed analysis turned  out  that  many  places
> >     where it says "unsupported" in reality mean "does not support
> >     MySQL's non standard syntax". Others are totally  mislabeled.
> >
> >     And  on the performance, it triggered a problem in PostgreSQL
> >     that is  unlikely  in  real  world  scenarios  (creating  and
> >     dropping  20,000  tables first, blowing up a system catalog).
> >     Then running the test queries  with  the  blown  up  catalog.
> >     Really smart benchmark :-)
>
> Well it *is* called crashme.

Doesn't really matter what it's called if it's sole purpose is to
make your product loog good and everyone else's look bad, it may as
well come from Redmond.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

RE: Postgresql performance on NT

От
Lincoln Yeoh
Дата:
>We support servers on NT, but not on Win95/98.  Cygwin supports both,

What's the performance like?

NT doesn't do forks well and Postgres uses forks right?

Cheerio,

Link.