Обсуждение: Installing clients (psql) only

Installing clients (psql) only

От
Rick Delaney
Дата:
Is there a source distribution to install just psql?  What I'm looking
for is a quick and easy way to install psql and DBD::Pg (which needs
libpq) on a bunch of different unix client machines.

I realize that all the source is there in the main postgresql
distribution but I can't make heads or tails out of what depends on
what.

What do people normally do when they don't need all of Postgres on their
client boxes?

Any suggestions appreciated,

--Rick

Re: Installing clients (psql) only

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Rick Delaney writes:

> Is there a source distribution to install just psql?

No (at least not officially). If you want to use psql you probably have a
server somewhere, and there's no reason why you couldn't reuse that source
tree.

> What I'm looking for is a quick and easy way to install psql and
> DBD::Pg (which needs libpq) on a bunch of different unix client
> machines.

Something like this should suffice:

./configure [options]
make -C interfaces
make -C interfaces install
make -C bin
make -C bin install

(Or if you really just want psql, you can find it in bin/psql, and libpq
in interfaces/libpq.)

If you're sure that all clients are configured identically you can just
log into each one and run the "install" steps on each. Otherwise it's
safest if you run `make distclean' and re-configure on each box.

> What do people normally do when they don't need all of Postgres on
> their client boxes?

Using RPMs is also popular, if applicable.

Re: Installing clients (psql) only

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Using RPMs is also popular, if applicable.

Thanks for the plug :-).

Seriously, that is exactly why the RPM's are split as they are -- you _can_
install just the main package and get a working psql and libpq (with all docs)
installation to connect to a central server machine.  You can then install the
tcl, tk, perl, python, or whatever clients as well (although there is a minor
problem with the tcl package that makes it require the server package -- pl/tcl
is in the tcl package).

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Installing clients (psql) only

От
Rick Delaney
Дата:
Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Using RPMs is also popular, if applicable.
>
> Thanks for the plug :-).

Yes, thank you both.  They aren't applicable to most of my machines but
it's good to know they're there.

This worked well, though:

> > ./configure [options]
> > make -C interfaces