Обсуждение: Re: Conversion from MS Access to Postgresql

Re: Conversion from MS Access to Postgresql

От
"Len Morgan"
Дата:
While we're on the subject of Access/Postgres, I have a consistent problem
in moving tables between Access and Postgres.  Access doesn't seem to want
to export a fixed length character field (i.e., I have a text field that is
9 chars long but when the table is created in Postgres, it always comes out
character varying(9) instead.  I cannot seem to make Postgres join two
tables when the type of one is char(9) and the other is character
varying(9).  The machine seems to go into an endless loop.  A similar
problem I have is with fix precision fields.  I want to export a
numeric(10,2) number from Access but they always end up numeric(30,6).

Perhaps this is my punishment for using Access/Windows but that is not
something I can change just yet.  If you have any insight into why this
might be happening or what I can do to fix it, I would appreciate it.  BTW:
Postgres 6.5.3 and Access97.

len morgan

From: Stephen Davies <scldad@sdc.com.au>
To: G.L.Lim <limgl@grouplinks.com>
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Date: Monday, June 26, 2000 7:54 PM

>G'day.
>
>Having just done it, I can confirm that converting an Access database
>to PostgreSQL is very easy.
>
>All I did was as follows:
>
>1. create an empty Postgresql database,
>2. cretae an ODBC DSN on the Access machine pointing at the empty
>database,
>3, fire up Access and Save/As/Export all tables to the ODBC target.
>
>Job done:-))
>
>In fact, I had to do some massage to the results as the export process
>does not create indexes nor sequences and I decidesd to change some of
>the generated data types.
>
>This was also easy using the pgdump utility to dump the data and the
>definition for editing.
>
>Be aware that any column names that include upper case letters in
>Access will keep their capitalisation and require quotes in Postgresql.
>
>HTH,
>Stephen.
>"G.L.Lim" <limgl@grouplinks.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am curently using MS Access and would like to convert my existing
Access
>> database to Postgresql database (maybe into Postgresql dump file first if
>> neccessary). Is there any utility or program that can do that? Please
>> advise.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Geok Leng

>Stephen Davies Consulting           scldad@sdc.com.au
>Adelaide, South Australia.               Voice: 08-8177 1595
>Computing & Network solutions.       Fax: 08-8177 0133

Re: How to dump from Postgre

От
Herbert Liechti
Дата:
Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > Yeah, it just vanished. Not my fault. The bitbucket ate it.

And what is a bitbucket? My dictioniary knows nothing
about this word. Just for all the people who's  mother
tongue is not english. :-)

- Herbie

Re: Conversion from MS Access to Postgresql

От
Дата:
Hi Mihai,

Microsoft products store false as (0) and true as
(-1) (Why? I don't know!).  Apparently storing a
(-1) requires more than bool provides.  So, you
can either edit all of your Access code so that it
interprets (1) as true (practically, I don't
recommend this), or you can migrate your yes/no
fields to int2.

David Boerwinkle

>I tried to export an Access Yes/No field to pgsql
boolean and got an error
>message.
>By default, Access (and the ODBC driver) exports
Yes/No to bpchar. However,
>I want to use bool.
>Any suggestions?
>Thanks,
>
>Mihai

to Postgresql

========================
>>Stephen Davies Consulting
scldad@sdc.com.au
>>Adelaide, South Australia.               Voice:
08-8177 1595
>>Computing & Network solutions.       Fax:
08-8177 0133

Re: Conversion from MS Access to Postgresql

От
Stephen Davies
Дата:
If you turn off the "Bool as Char" option in the driver, you get bool
in Postgres.

Please note that all of the work that I have done recently has been with
PostgreSQL V7.0.2 and the latest ODBC driver. Things are different with
older versions.

Cheers,
Stephen.