Обсуждение: Re: PostgreSQL book

Re: PostgreSQL book

От
"K Parker"
Дата:
> It could be just me, but the online docs are
> more references... books like Bruce's do more
> to teach.

I don't think it's just you; that seems like a very accurate description.  However, there's nothing inherent to keep
tutorialmaterial from being furnished online together with the reference manuals.  On an Open Source project like this
one,all it takes is someone interested and willing to make it happen...

Re: Re: PostgreSQL book

От
"Adam Lang"
Дата:
Yeah, but I can't sit and read stuff like that on a screen... Granted I can
print it and get a binder, etc... but stuff like that really is easier in
publication and as long as the price isn't gouged and the book is good, I
don't mind forking out cash for it.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> > It could be just me, but the online docs are
> > more references... books like Bruce's do more
> > to teach.
>
> I don't think it's just you; that seems like a very accurate description.
However, there's nothing inherent to keep tutorial material from being
furnished online together with the reference manuals.  On an Open Source
project like this one, all it takes is someone interested and willing to
make it happen...

> Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail
account at http://www.eudoramail.com

Re: Re: PostgreSQL book

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Yeah, but I can't sit and read stuff like that on a screen... Granted I can
> print it and get a binder, etc... but stuff like that really is easier in
> publication and as long as the price isn't gouged and the book is good, I
> don't mind forking out cash for it.

I can tell you the amount of time required to create a book of the size
I wrote is astounding.  I am talking about 4-6 months of constant work.

Re: Re: PostgreSQL book

От
Louis Bertrand
Дата:
Could you please put the ISBN on the web page:
 http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html
I know I can get it from Amazon or whatever, but it would save people the
extra trip.

Anyway, I'm placing the order today with my local bookmonger. The PDF
printed pages just don't cut it.

Thanks!
 --Louis  <louis@bertrandtech.on.ca>

Louis Bertrand       http://www.bertrandtech.on.ca/
Bertrand Technical Services, Bowmanville, ON, Canada
Tel: +1.905.623.1500  Fax: +1.905.623.3852

OpenBSD: Secure by default.  http://www.openbsd.org/

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
> > Yeah, but I can't sit and read stuff like that on a screen... Granted I can
> > print it and get a binder, etc... but stuff like that really is easier in
> > publication and as long as the price isn't gouged and the book is good, I
> > don't mind forking out cash for it.
>
> I can tell you the amount of time required to create a book of the size
> I wrote is astounding.  I am talking about 4-6 months of constant work.
>
> --

Re: Re: PostgreSQL book

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Could you please put the ISBN on the web page:
>  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html
> I know I can get it from Amazon or whatever, but it would save people the
> extra trip.

Done.

    ISBN 0-201-70331-9

> Anyway, I'm placing the order today with my local bookmonger. The PDF
> printed pages just don't cut it.

That's what Addison-Wesley is hoping.  :-)

Me, I have already gotten my money's worth out of the book.  I have a
new job, and speaking engagements.  The royalties are just gravy.

Lots of people write books, and the book really doesn't go anywhere.  At
least mine is getting used.

Re: Re: PostgreSQL book

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Could you please put the ISBN on the web page:
>  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html
> I know I can get it from Amazon or whatever, but it would save people the
> extra trip.
>
> Anyway, I'm placing the order today with my local bookmonger. The PDF
> printed pages just don't cut it.

The new PDF's are even worse, because they are now formatted for 7.375in
x 9.25in paper.  The old ones were at least formatted for letter-sized
paper.

I have talked to the publisher, and the PDF will be removed from the web
site when the book becomes buy-able.  I hope that doesn't upset too many
people.  I think people have until November 10 at least before the PDF
disappears.  The HTML version will always be available.

Re: Re: PostgreSQL book

От
Louis Bertrand
Дата:
Thanks. It helped cheer me up: I'm fighting with MS-Access at the
moment (and losing badly).

Ciao
 --Louis  <louis@bertrandtech.on.ca>

Louis Bertrand       http://www.bertrandtech.on.ca/
Bertrand Technical Services, Bowmanville, ON, Canada
Tel: +1.905.623.1500  Fax: +1.905.623.3852

OpenBSD: Secure by default.  http://www.openbsd.org/

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Could you please put the ISBN on the web page:
> >  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html
> > I know I can get it from Amazon or whatever, but it would save people the
> > extra trip.
>
> Done.
>
>     ISBN 0-201-70331-9
>

> > Anyway, I'm placing the order today with my local bookmonger. The PDF
> > printed pages just don't cut it.
>
> That's what Addison-Wesley is hoping.  :-)
>
> Me, I have already gotten my money's worth out of the book.  I have a
> new job, and speaking engagements.  The royalties are just gravy.
>
> Lots of people write books, and the book really doesn't go anywhere.  At
> least mine is getting used.
>
> --

Re: Re: PostgreSQL book

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Thanks. It helped cheer me up: I'm fighting with MS-Access at the
> moment (and losing badly).

I hear you.  PostgreSQL has been a very good thing for me, the past few
years.  In many ways, it is the _fun_ part of computers.

Re: Re: PostgreSQL book

От
Tim Uckun
Дата:
At 04:58 PM 10/12/00 -0400, Louis Bertrand wrote:
>Thanks. It helped cheer me up: I'm fighting with MS-Access at the
>moment (and losing badly).

Error Number 3135 There is no message for this error.

:wq
Tim Uckun
Due Diligence Inc. http://www.diligence.com/   Americas Background
Investigation Expert.
If your company isn't doing background checks, maybe you haven't considered
the risks of a bad hire.

Re: Re: PostgreSQL book

От
"Adam Lang"
Дата:
Hmmm... interesting concept... Warez for Books. :)

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> > Could you please put the ISBN on the web page:
> >  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html
> > I know I can get it from Amazon or whatever, but it would save people
the
> > extra trip.
> >
> > Anyway, I'm placing the order today with my local bookmonger. The PDF
> > printed pages just don't cut it.
>
> The new PDF's are even worse, because they are now formatted for 7.375in
> x 9.25in paper.  The old ones were at least formatted for letter-sized
> paper.
>
> I have talked to the publisher, and the PDF will be removed from the web
> site when the book becomes buy-able.  I hope that doesn't upset too many
> people.  I think people have until November 10 at least before the PDF
> disappears.  The HTML version will always be available.
>
> --

Re: Re: PostgreSQL book

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Hmmm... interesting concept... Warez for Books. :)

Yes, I suppose I have arrived when my book appears on Gnutella or
Napster.

> Adam Lang
> Systems Engineer
> Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company

Re: Re: PostgreSQL book

От
Peter Mount
Дата:
On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Could you please put the ISBN on the web page:
> >  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html
> > I know I can get it from Amazon or whatever, but it would save people the
> > extra trip.
>
> Done.
>
>     ISBN 0-201-70331-9
>

> > Anyway, I'm placing the order today with my local bookmonger. The PDF
> > printed pages just don't cut it.
>
> That's what Addison-Wesley is hoping.  :-)
>
> Me, I have already gotten my money's worth out of the book.  I have a
> new job, and speaking engagements.  The royalties are just gravy.
>
> Lots of people write books, and the book really doesn't go anywhere.  At
> least mine is getting used.

Yes, your's has been used, and a lot before the "dead-tree" version is
out.

It is one I'll be getting anyhow, as I've found the PDF version useful
already, but even I still prefer the good old hard copy :-)

Peter (being grateful that I live at the top of the hill with the flooding
the south of the UK has had in the last 24 hours :-) )

--
Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk http://www.retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/