Обсуждение: postgres blobs and PHP

postgres blobs and PHP

От
"Martin A. Marques"
Дата:
I know I bothered with this, but I just don't get it.
Lets say I have a test table like this in a certain database:

CREATE TABLE test (
id_test        SERIAL,
blob_text    oid
);

Now I want to insert a good chunk of text in the blob_text field with PHP.
PHP has some postgres functions like pg_locreate, pg_lowrite, pg_loread, etc,
but it never specifies the table and it doesn't specify the field in the
table.
Now how does php know where to write the chunk of text (or the image, or
whatever)?
Can someone give me a hand?

TIA.

--
"And I'm happy, because you make me feel good, about me." - Melvin Udall
Martín Marqués            email:     martin@math.unl.edu.ar

Re: postgres blobs and PHP

От
Adam Haberlach
Дата:
On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 07:30:19PM -0300, Martin A. Marques wrote:
> I know I bothered with this, but I just don't get it.
> Lets say I have a test table like this in a certain database:
>
> CREATE TABLE test (
> id_test        SERIAL,
> blob_text    oid
> );
>
> Now I want to insert a good chunk of text in the blob_text field with PHP.
> PHP has some postgres functions like pg_locreate, pg_lowrite, pg_loread, etc,
> but it never specifies the table and it doesn't specify the field in the
> table.
> Now how does php know where to write the chunk of text (or the image, or
> whatever)?
> Can someone give me a hand?

    It sticks it somewhere.  It is up to you to keep track of the Oid that
lo_create gives you and stash it in your table so you can lo_open it later.

--
Adam Haberlach           |"California's the big burrito, Texas is the big
adam@newsnipple.com      | taco ... and following that theme, Florida is

Re: postgres blobs and PHP

От
"Martin A. Marques"
Дата:
On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Adam Haberlach wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 07:30:19PM -0300, Martin A. Marques wrote:
> > I know I bothered with this, but I just don't get it.
> > Lets say I have a test table like this in a certain database:
> >
> > CREATE TABLE test (
> > id_test        SERIAL,
> > blob_text    oid
> > );
> >
> > Now I want to insert a good chunk of text in the blob_text field with PHP.
> > PHP has some postgres functions like pg_locreate, pg_lowrite, pg_loread, etc,
> > but it never specifies the table and it doesn't specify the field in the
> > table.
> > Now how does php know where to write the chunk of text (or the image, or
> > whatever)?
> > Can someone give me a hand?
>
>     It sticks it somewhere.  It is up to you to keep track of the Oid that
> lo_create gives you and stash it in your table so you can lo_open it later.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I don't see anything related with the oid
field in the lo functions of PHP.
I have done lots of stuffs with PHP and informix, and I think the way
PHP manages the informix blobs is much clearer. I don't know if it's
because of the way informix adds information to the blobs, or that the
guy that made the module had a good idea.
Anyway, I'm still clue-less!

P.D.: If I have to add BIG chunks of text to a database TEXT field, now
a days I would have trouble with Postgres 7.0.x because of the 8k per
tuple limitation. Will this be the same in future 7.1 version? I mean,
will the limitation grow higher, or will it disapear?

Saludos... ;-)

"And I'm happy, because you make me feel good, about me." - Melvin Udall
Martín Marqués            email:     martin@math.unl.edu.ar
Santa Fe - Argentina        http://math.unl.edu.ar/~martin/
Administrador de sistemas en math.unl.edu.ar

Re: postgres blobs and PHP

От
"Adam Lang"
Дата:
In 7.1 the limitation will disappear.

**To the list manager:
I think we need to add a disclaimer to the newsgroup messages about this.
Just append something at the bottom of each message. :)

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com