Обсуждение: RE: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL ?

RE: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL ?

От
Matthew
Дата:
> "Brett W. McCoy" <bmccoy@chapelperilous.net> writes:
> > On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Matthew wrote:
> >> [Matthew]  Would it make sense for postgre to have a mysql
> >> compatibility module?  An add on package (perhaps in contrib) that
> >> would add many of the functions that mysql has that postgre does not.
>
> > I think it would be wasted effort.  I would rather the developers focus
> on
> > PostgreSQL, not MySQL, or Access, or whatever.
>
> I agree that the key developers shouldn't spend much time on such a
> thing, but on the other hand this isn't a project that requires a key
> developer to get done.  If Matthew or someone else feels like spending
> time on it, I wouldn't object...

    [Matthew]  I agree also, I didn't mean to imply that a core
developer work on it.  I was just asking if this was a project that would
interest people.  If it has enough demand I would get started on it.  I
don't know a whole lot about mysql, but getting a function list and
comparing it to postgre shouldn't be too hard.

RE: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL ?

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Matthew wrote:

> > I agree that the key developers shouldn't spend much time on such a
> > thing, but on the other hand this isn't a project that requires a key
> > developer to get done.  If Matthew or someone else feels like spending
> > time on it, I wouldn't object...
> >
>     [Matthew]  I agree also, I didn't mean to imply that a core
> developer work on it.  I was just asking if this was a project that would
> interest people.  If it has enough demand I would get started on it.  I
> don't know a whole lot about mysql, but getting a function list and
> comparing it to postgre shouldn't be too hard.

Ah, ok, I misunderstood your intention.

You know what also would be good?  A guide to porting from MySQL to
PostgreSQL, like a mini-HOWTO or something along those lines.  I've done
some MySQL development (although I was using PostgreSQL even before I knew
MySQL existed, believe it or not), so I would be willing to help in this
endeavour.

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Get forgiveness now -- tomorrow you may no longer feel guilty.

Re: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL ?

От
Zachary Beane
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 02:45:47AM -0500, Brett W. McCoy wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Matthew wrote:
>
> > > I agree that the key developers shouldn't spend much time on such a
> > > thing, but on the other hand this isn't a project that requires a key
> > > developer to get done.  If Matthew or someone else feels like spending
> > > time on it, I wouldn't object...
> > >
> >     [Matthew]  I agree also, I didn't mean to imply that a core
> > developer work on it.  I was just asking if this was a project that would
> > interest people.  If it has enough demand I would get started on it.  I
> > don't know a whole lot about mysql, but getting a function list and
> > comparing it to postgre shouldn't be too hard.
>
> Ah, ok, I misunderstood your intention.
>
> You know what also would be good?  A guide to porting from MySQL to
> PostgreSQL, like a mini-HOWTO or something along those lines.  I've done
> some MySQL development (although I was using PostgreSQL even before I knew
> MySQL existed, believe it or not), so I would be willing to help in this
> endeavour.

I started keeping some notes on this very subject. There's not much, but
there are a few bits of info at

   http://www.xach.com/aolserver/mysql-to-postgresql.html

It may not be particularly useful, since I'm using an unreleased
version of PostgreSQL to write my notes from.

Zach
--
xach@xach.com     Zachary Beane     http://www.xach.com/