Обсуждение: Auto Increment

Auto Increment

От
Дата:
    Is there a way set a primary key to Auto Increment like you can
with MySQL?

Thanks..

Re: Auto Increment

От
"Oliver Elphick"
Дата:
postgres@flipper.webdevelop.net wrote:

  >    Is there a way set a primary key to Auto Increment like you can
  >with MySQL?

CREATE TABLE junk (id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY, ...etc...)

The SERIAL data type is an INTEGER coupled with a sequence which is
created automatically.

     "And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and
      thou shalt be saved, and thy house."      Acts 16:31

Re: Auto Increment

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 postgres@flipper.webdevelop.net wrote:

>     Is there a way set a primary key to Auto Increment like you can
> with MySQL?

See the documentation on CREATE SEQUENCE, and also on CREATE TABLE and the
SERIAL type.

[An aside:  this is something definitely that qualifies as a frequently
asked question, as this is like the 4th time in a week this question has
been asked.  Would posting a FAQ list on a regular basis to the list be
helpful for things like this, like is done on the Perl newsgroups?]

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Hanson's Treatment of Time:
    There are never enough hours in a day, but always too many days
    before Saturday.

Re: Auto Increment

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 postgres@flipper.webdevelop.net wrote:
>
> >     Is there a way set a primary key to Auto Increment like you can
> > with MySQL?
>
> See the documentation on CREATE SEQUENCE, and also on CREATE TABLE and the
> SERIAL type.
>
> [An aside:  this is something definitely that qualifies as a frequently
> asked question, as this is like the 4th time in a week this question has
> been asked.  Would posting a FAQ list on a regular basis to the list be
> helpful for things like this, like is done on the Perl newsgroups?]

I don't think so.  Doesn't everyone know the location of the FAQ?

Re: Auto Increment

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > See the documentation on CREATE SEQUENCE, and also on CREATE TABLE and the
> > SERIAL type.
> >
> > [An aside:  this is something definitely that qualifies as a frequently
> > asked question, as this is like the 4th time in a week this question has
> > been asked.  Would posting a FAQ list on a regular basis to the list be
> > helpful for things like this, like is done on the Perl newsgroups?]
> >

> I don't think so.  Doesn't everyone know the location of the FAQ?

Perhaps not -- this is what I am wondering.  Is it sent to subscribers as
part of a welcome message?  At any rate, this particular question I think
has now qualified for the FAQ, at the very least!  Or maybe even a section
in the FAQ for people coming over from MySQL...

-- Brett

PS.  Got your book, Bruce.  Nice job!
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
"The pyramid is opening!"
   "Which one?"
"The one with the ever-widening hole in it!"
-- The Firesign Theatre

Re: Auto Increment

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > See the documentation on CREATE SEQUENCE, and also on CREATE TABLE and the
> > > SERIAL type.
> > >
> > > [An aside:  this is something definitely that qualifies as a frequently
> > > asked question, as this is like the 4th time in a week this question has
> > > been asked.  Would posting a FAQ list on a regular basis to the list be
> > > helpful for things like this, like is done on the Perl newsgroups?]
> > >

> > I don't think so.  Doesn't everyone know the location of the FAQ?
>
> Perhaps not -- this is what I am wondering.  Is it sent to subscribers as
> part of a welcome message?  At any rate, this particular question I think
> has now qualified for the FAQ, at the very least!  Or maybe even a section
> in the FAQ for people coming over from MySQL...

It is already in the FAQ, right?

The FAQ

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Perhaps not -- this is what I am wondering.  Is it sent to subscribers as
> > part of a welcome message?  At any rate, this particular question I think
> > has now qualified for the FAQ, at the very least!  Or maybe even a section
> > in the FAQ for people coming over from MySQL...
>
> It is already in the FAQ, right?

Doh!

OK, now that my foot is out of my mouth... perhaps a gentle reminder to
some of the newer folks that a lot of questions asked are answered in the
FAQ already, and if you don't know where the FAQ is, go to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html (there are also FAQs in
German, Japanese and Korean).

And don't mind me... been a long evening of coding...

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
An aphorism is never exactly true; it is either a half-truth or
one-and-a-half truths.
        -- Karl Kraus

Re: Auto Increment

Дата:
>> Would posting a FAQ list on a regular basis to the list be
>> helpful for things like this, like is done on the Perl newsgroups?]

> I don't think so.  Doesn't everyone know the location of the FAQ?

Undoubtedly not :-( ... but it's unlikely that a routine posting would
help to dispel cluelessness, either.  More likely it'd just waste space
in the archives.

At one time Marc was arranging for the list bot to append automatic
tags to all postings.  I'd be in favor of an automatic tag that read
something like

        list administrivia: majordomo@hub.org
        Postgres FAQs: http://...

Suggestions anyone?  (Keep in mind that brevity is the soul of wit
here...)

            regards, tom lane

Re: The FAQ

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> OK, now that my foot is out of my mouth... perhaps a gentle reminder to
> some of the newer folks that a lot of questions asked are answered in the
> FAQ already, and if you don't know where the FAQ is, go to
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html (there are also FAQs in
> German, Japanese and Korean).
>
> And don't mind me... been a long evening of coding...

Here is the text I use for people who e-mail me directly.  Seems to do
the trick.

post your question:

    http://postgresql.org/users-lounge

You can also try the #postgresql IRC channel.  See the PostgreSQL FAQ
for more information.

Re: Auto Increment

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> At one time Marc was arranging for the list bot to append automatic
> tags to all postings.  I'd be in favor of an automatic tag that read
> something like
>
>         list administrivia: majordomo@hub.org
>         Postgres FAQs: http://...
>
> Suggestions anyone?  (Keep in mind that brevity is the soul of wit
> here...)

I think that's a good idea... one line in a tag may save many packets of
questions that don't need to be asked on the list if they have already
been answered. :-)

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
        -- D.E. Knuth

List metadata tags (was Re: Auto Increment)

От
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane writes:

> At one time Marc was arranging for the list bot to append automatic
> tags to all postings.  I'd be in favor of an automatic tag that read
> something like
>
>         list administrivia: majordomo@hub.org
>         Postgres FAQs: http://...
>
> Suggestions anyone?  (Keep in mind that brevity is the soul of wit
> here...)

RFC 2369  <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2369.html>

This essentially says that you add headers like this to every mail:

(There's isn't anything for FAQ, but there could be a link on the archive
page maybe.)

If a mail with these headers shows up in my mail client I get a link "This
message contains email list management information." that I can click on
and which in turn explains to me what an email list is and then allows me
to click on the URLs above.  Very nice.

Re: Auto Increment

От
Дата:
I had looked everywhere to find the answer to this question.  Now that I
look at the FAQ again I see it in there.  I tryed searching the FAQ for
"auto increment" when it turns out to be "auto-increment" on the FAQs
page.  Being a MySQL user who was dead ended and had no choice but to find
a new database with Transactions or something simliar because of MySQL's
limitations I had several questions that seemed difficult to find during
the switchover.

1. Auto increment - now serial datatype

2. 'SHOW TABLES' in mysql - now '\d' (I got lucky to stumble apon this.)

3. 'DESCRIBE' in mysql - now '\d tablename' (same as above.)

As more people realize MySQL's limitations I think there will be more
people making the switchover.  As a result I'm sure many people find
themselves asking the same questions I did.  I would recommend these 3
things be easy to find the the FAQ for MySQL familiar users.

My 2 cents...