Обсуждение: GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT PROCESSED INTO

GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT PROCESSED INTO

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
Does anyone know if this feature exists?  If so, what version or where
can a patch be obtained?

Thanks

Date sent:          Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:44:46 +0100
From:               "J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" <jdassen@cistron-office.nl>
To:                 pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject:            Re: getting number of rows updated within a procedure

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 23:27:06 +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> I'm writing some stuff in PL/pgsql (actually, a lot of stuff).  I have a
> question: At various times, it does UPDATEs.  Is there a way to tell if
> the UPDATE actually affected any rows or not?  I couldn't see how to get
> UPDATE to return anything.

Quoting a recent message by Jan Wieck <janwieck@Yahoo.com>:
:Do a
:
:    GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT PROCESSED INTO <int4_variable>;
:
:directly  after  an  INSERT,  UPDATE  or DELETE statement and you'll know
:how many rows have been hit.
:
:Also you can get the OID of an inserted row with
:
:    GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT RESULT INTO <int4_variable>;

HTH,
Ray
--
"The software `wizard' is the single greatest obstacle to computer literacy
since the Mac."

Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/
       FreshPorts - http://freshports.org/
     NZ Broadband - http://unixathome.org/broadband/

Re: GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT PROCESSED INTO

От
"J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)"
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 20:15:39 +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> Does anyone know if this feature exists?  If so, what version or where
> can a patch be obtained?

Apparently you missed Jan's follow-up to my message: "New functionality in
7.1 - sorry." So you'll have to use the beta.

Ray
--
[Open Source] is the finest expression of the free market. Ideas are
encouraged to proliferate and the best thinking wins. By contrast, most

Re: GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT PROCESSED INTO

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
On 18 Jan 2001, at 9:05, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 20:15:39 +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> > Does anyone know if this feature exists?  If so, what version or where
> > can a patch be obtained?
>
> Apparently you missed Jan's follow-up to my message: "New functionality in
> 7.1 - sorry." So you'll have to use the beta.

Yes, I did.  Thank you for clearing that up. I have been searching the
mailing list archives, but they seem to be out of date.  I could only find
my original post and no replies.

Of course, my next two questions are:

When will 7.1 leave beta (roughly)?

How stable is it?  FWIW, I'll be using it for development, not production
and basically the only feature not in pre 7.1 I'm looking for is the above.

--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/
       FreshPorts - http://freshports.org/
     NZ Broadband - http://unixathome.org/broadband/

Re: GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT PROCESSED INTO

От
"J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)"
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 22:30:48 +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> When will 7.1 leave beta (roughly)?

From what I've been reading on the lists, "soon". I suspect within the next
month or two.

> How stable is it?  FWIW, I'll be using it for development, not production

I've not tested it extensively myself, but it passed my lithmus test (import
a database of a couple of million records in one of its tables, with
numerous constraints and indexes, drop some data based on columns which
aren't indexed, then vacuum it [*]).

HTH,
Ray

[*] I've had infinite loops VACUUMing this database under 7.0.3.
--
"The problem with the global village is all the global village idiots."
    Paul Ginsparg

Re: [HACKERS] GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT PROCESSED INTO

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
It is in 7.1beta, and is not documented yet.

it> Does anyone know if this feature exists?  If so, what version or where