Обсуждение: Re: Query precompilation?

Re: Query precompilation?

От
jmitchell@greatbridge.com
Дата:
Mario,
This sounds nice, but I've read a lot of postgres documents and still do not
know how to disable autocommit. Is this possible? And how?
Yes, you can disable autocommit.  All you have to do is wrap your SQL statements within an explicit BEGIN ... COMMIT block.

Regards, Joe

--
Joe Mitchell                      joe.mitchell@greatbridge.com
Knowledge Engineer                757.233.5567 voice

Re: Re: Query precompilation?

От
Mario Weilguni
Дата:
Hi!

Thanks for the answer, but that's not disabling autocommit, it committing by
hand. What I mean ist Oracle-behaviour --> everthing is a transaction and
must be commited by "COMMIT". What I ment was something like "SET autocommit
to OFF" or something like this.

Anyway, thanks for your answer, now I know it's not possible.

Ciao,
         Mario

Am Dienstag, 27. Februar 2001 22:29 schrieben Sie:
> Mario,
>
> > This sounds nice, but I've read a lot of postgres documents and still do
> > not know how to disable autocommit. Is this possible? And how?
>
> Yes, you can disable autocommit.  All you have to do is wrap your SQL
> statements within an explicit BEGIN ... COMMIT block.
>
> Regards, Joe
>
> --
> Joe Mitchell                      joe.mitchell@greatbridge.com
> Knowledge Engineer                757.233.5567 voice
> Great Bridge, LLC                 757.233.5555 fax
> www.greatbridge.com

 Mario Weilguni                               KPNQwest Austria GmbH
 Senior Engineer Web Solutions                         Nikolaiplatz 4
 tel: +43-316-813824                                8020 graz, austria
 fax: +43-316-813824-26                    http://www.kpnqwest.at
 e-mail: mario.weilguni@kpnqwest.com

Re: Query precompilation? - Off topic

От
"Mitch Vincent"
Дата:
I'm sorry Joe but I must know.. What exactly does a "Knowledge Engineer" do?
I've never run into a person with that title before.. Perhaps it's because I
live in my office but I'm still curious..

Thanks!

-Mitch

> > This sounds nice, but I've read a lot of postgres documents and still do
not
> > know how to disable autocommit. Is this possible? And how?
>
> Yes, you can disable autocommit.  All you have to do is wrap your SQL
> statements within an explicit BEGIN ... COMMIT block.
>
> Regards, Joe
>
> --
> Joe Mitchell                      joe.mitchell@greatbridge.com
> Knowledge Engineer                757.233.5567 voice
> Great Bridge, LLC                 757.233.5555 fax
> www.greatbridge.com

Re: Re: Query precompilation?

От
"Dominic J. Eidson"
Дата:
On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Mario Weilguni wrote:

> Thanks for the answer, but that's not disabling autocommit, it committing by
> hand. What I mean ist Oracle-behaviour --> everthing is a transaction and
> must be commited by "COMMIT". What I ment was something like "SET autocommit
> to OFF" or something like this.

Everything _is_ a transaction - the BEGIN ... COMMIT is implied, if you
don't wrap your SQL statements in BEGIN ... COMMIT.

Compare:

dominic=# INSERT INTO pages ( page_from, page_to, page_data ) VALUES ( 'Dominic', '555-1212', 'This is a test page');
INSERT 945129 1

[ This was one transaction ]
dominic=# SELECT count(*) FROM pages;
 count
-------
     1
(1 row)

[ This was the second transaction ]

... for a total of two transactions, as opposed to:

dominic=# BEGIN;
BEGIN
dominic=# INSERT INTO pages ( page_from, page_to, page_data ) VALUES ( 'Dominic', '555-1212', 'Test page number two.'
);
INSERT 945130 1
dominic=# SELECT count(*) FROM pages;
 count
-------
     2
(1 row)

dominic=# COMMIT;
COMMIT

[ This was just _one_ transaction ]

--
Dominic J. Eidson
                                        "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli

Re: Re: Query precompilation? - Off topic

От
Ned Lilly
Дата:
Hi Mitch,

PMFJI ... Knowledge Engineering is where Great Bridge touches its
customers- it encompasses engineering support, consulting, and
training.  Joe and his colleagues support our paying customers and also
do some development and documentation work.  And of course, they're on
the project mailing lists like everyone else :-)

<propaganda>
We made up the name to highlight what we think is important in an open
source company - real engineers, who deal in knowledge of the software.
So it's not some entry-level operator taking a customer's call, it's
someone who's a trained user of PostgreSQL himself.  Our competitive
advantage as a company can't lie in anything like proprietary software
products- it has to be in the people we hire and retain.
</propaganda>

Regards,
Ned

Mitch Vincent wrote:

> I'm sorry Joe but I must know.. What exactly does a "Knowledge Engineer" do?
> I've never run into a person with that title before.. Perhaps it's because I
> live in my office but I'm still curious..
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Mitch

Ned Lilly                     e: ned@greatbridge.com
Vice President                w: www.greatbridge.com
Evangelism / Hacker Relations        v: 757.233.5523
Great Bridge, LLC                    f: 757.233.5555