Обсуждение: time to integer

time to integer

От
Soma Interesting
Дата:
I'm trying to write a function with pl/pgsql that takes member_id (int4)
and adds this to now() converted to seconds. Is there an existing function
to do the conversion of a timestamp to seconds?

Re: time to integer

Дата:
Soma Interesting <dfunct@telus.net> writes:
> I'm trying to write a function with pl/pgsql that takes member_id (int4)
> and adds this to now() converted to seconds. Is there an existing function
> to do the conversion of a timestamp to seconds?

date_part('epoch', timestamp) produces a Unix-style seconds count.

            regards, tom lane

Re: time to integer

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Soma Interesting writes:

> I'm trying to write a function with pl/pgsql that takes member_id (int4)
> and adds this to now() converted to seconds. Is there an existing function
> to do the conversion of a timestamp to seconds?

date_part('epoch', value) /* seconds since 1970 */

Re: time to integer

От
Soma Interesting
Дата:
At 02:27 PM 3/6/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>date_part('epoch', timestamp) produces a Unix-style seconds count.
>
>                         regards, tom lane

Ok, thanks I misunderstood the directions and thought I had to use epoch
with the timestamp function somehow :)

this is my trigger and function:

CREATE FUNCTION oned_member_num() RETURNS OPAQUE AS '
         BEGIN
                 NEW.member_num := NEW.id + date_part('epoch', timestamp
'now');
                 RETURN new;
         END;'
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

CREATE TRIGGER oned_member_num
BEFORE INSERT
ON members
FOR EACH ROW
EXECUTE PROCEDURE oned_member_num();

I'm not 100% sure that a pl/pgsql function is the best/only solution here.
Is it overkill, or my only option?