Обсуждение: PL/Perl in 7.1.1

PL/Perl in 7.1.1

От
Jeff Patterson
Дата:
I recently upgraded from 7.0.3 to 7.1. Everything went fine until I went to
install plperl using createlang. It throws the following error message:

ERROR:  Load of file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plperl.so failed: /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux/auto/Opcode/Opcode.so:
undefinedsymbol: Perl_save_vptr

createlang: language installation failed.

I verified the plperl.so file compiled without problems and is installed
correctly at /usr/local/pgsql/lib/.

Any ideas?

--
Jeff Patterson
Site Administrator

Re: PL/Perl in 7.1.1

Дата:
Jeff Patterson <jpat@sonic.net> writes:
> I recently upgraded from 7.0.3 to 7.1. Everything went fine until I went to
> install plperl using createlang. It throws the following error message:

> ERROR:  Load of file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plperl.so failed: /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux/auto/Opcode/Opcode.so:
undefinedsymbol: Perl_save_vptr

Hm.  There is no such symbol in the source text of Postgres, so I
suspect you are looking at a Perl version-compatibility problem,
rather than something that's directly Postgres' fault.  I suggest
asking Perl gurus rather than Postgres gurus for help ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: PL/Perl in 7.1.1

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Jeff Patterson writes:

> I recently upgraded from 7.0.3 to 7.1. Everything went fine until I went to
> install plperl using createlang. It throws the following error message:
>
> ERROR:  Load of file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plperl.so failed: /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux/auto/Opcode/Opcode.so:
undefinedsymbol: Perl_save_vptr

Here's a wildish guess:  Get out your PostgreSQL sources, go to the
directory src/backend/port/dynloader, file linux.h and change

    dlopen(f, 2)

    dlopen(f, RTLD_LAZY | RTLD_GLOBAL)

and rebuild the backend.   (If you don't have Linux you can still make a
similar change in the respective *.h file.)

Re: PL/Perl in 7.1.1

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi Guys,

If this works, can someone let me know?

I'll put it on the techdocs site to let people work around this.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Jeff Patterson writes:
>
> > I recently upgraded from 7.0.3 to 7.1. Everything went fine until I went to
> > install plperl using createlang. It throws the following error message:
> >
> > ERROR:  Load of file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plperl.so failed: /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux/auto/Opcode/Opcode.so:
undefinedsymbol: Perl_save_vptr

> Here's a wildish guess:  Get out your PostgreSQL sources, go to the
> directory src/backend/port/dynloader, file linux.h and change
>
>     dlopen(f, 2)

>     dlopen(f, RTLD_LAZY | RTLD_GLOBAL)
>
> and rebuild the backend.   (If you don't have Linux you can still make a
> similar change in the respective *.h file.)
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter

     - Indira Gandhi

RE: PL/Perl in 7.1.1

От
"Jeff Patterson"

Thanks for the helpful replies. Following Tom's suggestion, I upgraded to perl 5.6.1 but still got the same result so I tried downgrading to 5.005, which is the version that was installed originally by VALinux. I got the source RPM and built a shared libperl.so version as required by plperl. This fixed the problem. I'm still not certain if this means plperl is incompatible with perl 5.6.x or if this is a VALinux oddity.

Jeff

> I recently upgraded from 7.0.3 to 7.1. Everything went fine until I went to
> install plperl using createlang. It throws the following error message:
>
> ERROR:  Load of file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plperl.so failed: /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux/auto/Opcode/Opcode.so: undefined symbol: Perl_save_vptr

Here's a wildish guess:  Get out your PostgreSQL sources, go to the
directory src/backend/port/dynloader, file linux.h and change

    dlopen(f, 2)

    dlopen(f, RTLD_LAZY | RTLD_GLOBAL)

and rebuild the backend.   (If you don't have Linux you can still make a
similar change in the respective *.h file.)

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter

debian packages for Postgresql 7.1 or higher ?

От
"Alex"
Дата:
Are there any debian packages for Postgresql 7.1 or higher for Potato?
I've tried to get the src-deb from unstable (7.1.1) but it won't compile
under potato, not unless I upgrade the perl packages as well, which is not
my idea.

any ideas please?

Thanks

Alex

Re: debian packages for Postgresql 7.1 or higher ?

От
jdassen@cistron.nl (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Дата:
Alex <alex@quad.com.ar> wrote:
> Are there any debian packages for Postgresql 7.1 or higher for Potato?

http://people.debian.org/~elphick/postgresql/potato.html

HTH,
Ray
--
Pinky, Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but if they called them "sad meals", kids wouldn't

Re: debian packages for Postgresql 7.1 or higher ?

От
larry a price
Дата:
it's in testing, just add a line to to your apt-sources file, don't forget
to comment it out after you add the db and before run apt-get upgrade tho

Larry Price      |  "We have seen the truth.
laprice@efn.org  |   And the truth makes no sense." -chesterton

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Alex wrote:

> Are there any debian packages for Postgresql 7.1 or higher for Potato?
> I've tried to get the src-deb from unstable (7.1.1) but it won't compile
> under potato, not unless I upgrade the perl packages as well, which is not
> my idea.
>
> any ideas please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex

Re: debian packages for Postgresql 7.1 or higher ?

От
"Oliver Elphick"
Дата:
larry a price wrote:
  >it's in testing, just add a line to to your apt-sources file, don't forget
  >to comment it out after you add the db and before run apt-get upgrade tho
  >

  >Larry Price      |  "We have seen the truth.
  >laprice@efn.org  |   And the truth makes no sense." -chesterton
  >
  >On Wed, 16 May 2001, Alex wrote:
  >
  >> Are there any debian packages for Postgresql 7.1 or higher for Potato?
  >> I've tried to get the src-deb from unstable (7.1.1) but it won't compile
  >> under potato, not unless I upgrade the perl packages as well, which is not
  >> my idea.

It's probably not a good idea to use packages from unstable if you want
to keep the rest of your system stable.  The unstable packages will
certainly pull in a lot of other unstable packages through dependencies,
including some major ones like libc6.

potato packages are at
 http://people.debian.org/~elphick/postgresql/potato.html
though they are not as up-to-date as the unstable distribution; I do them
when I have time.

     "For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh,
      and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is
      not of the Father, but is of the world."
                             I John 2:17

Re: debian packages for Postgresql 7.1 or higher ?

От
Marc SCHAEFER
Дата:
On Wed, 16 May 2001, Alex wrote:

> Are there any debian packages for Postgresql 7.1 or higher for Potato?
> I've tried to get the src-deb from unstable (7.1.1) but it won't compile
> under potato, not unless I upgrade the perl packages as well, which is not
> my idea.

http://people.debian.org/~elphick/postgresql/potato.html

Re: debian packages for Postgresql 7.1 or higher ?

От
"Alex"
Дата:
well, apt-get source postgresql from unstable and compiling it into potato
is a good solution (at least for postgresql 7.1, 7.1.1 seems to be a little
more complicated due to perl requirements on compilation)
but thank you guys for the hints!! I've got my pgsql 7.1 deb package
compiled for potato and works great!

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk>