Обсуждение: language support

language support

От
"mike"
Дата:
I know that there is multibyte language support for languages like Korean, japanese, big5, but
what about languages like arabic, and hebrew?
 or would this fall under unicode, and not multibyte?

Mike

Re: language support

От
Peter Eisentraut
mike writes:

> I know that there is multibyte language support for languages like Korean, japanese, big5, but
> what about languages like arabic, and hebrew?
>  or would this fall under unicode, and not multibyte?

Multibyte support isn't tied to a particular language.  I does two rather
unrelated things:

* handle multibyte character sets

* allow for character set conversion between client and server

If Arabic or Hebrew have single-byte character sets available then things
should just work.  Otherwise you might have to teach the conversion code
about these character sets.

Getting left-to-right vs. right-to-left to work correctly might be a much
harder problem.