Обсуждение: vacuum and 24/7 uptime

vacuum and 24/7 uptime

От
Mark
Дата:
Is Postgresql ready for 24/7 uptime?  Our tests have shown that vacuumdb
requires downtime, and if one does this nightly as suggested, well, one has
downtime, 40+ minutes in our case.

My company wants to replace MS SQL Server with PostgreSQL, but we can't
afford downtime to do database maintenance.  Is it possible that we are doing
something wrong?

What are the plans for future versions of pgsql?  Will vacuum be optomized or
otherwise enhanced to execute more quickly and/or not lock tables?

Thanks,

Mark

PS
I posted more details to the hackers list.

Re: vacuum and 24/7 uptime

От
Ryan Mahoney
Дата:
Hi Mark, This is being worked on now.  I believe the 7.2 release will have
enable you to run a vacuum with no downtime.

-r

At 03:39 PM 7/11/01 -0600, Mark wrote:

>Is Postgresql ready for 24/7 uptime?  Our tests have shown that vacuumdb
>requires downtime, and if one does this nightly as suggested, well, one has
>downtime, 40+ minutes in our case.
>
>My company wants to replace MS SQL Server with PostgreSQL, but we can't
>afford downtime to do database maintenance.  Is it possible that we are doing
>something wrong?
>
>What are the plans for future versions of pgsql?  Will vacuum be optomized or
>otherwise enhanced to execute more quickly and/or not lock tables?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mark
>
>PS
>I posted more details to the hackers list.

>http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

Re: vacuum and 24/7 uptime

От
Mark
Дата:
We increased shared memory in the linux kernel, which decreased the vacuumdb
time from 40 minutes to 14 minutes on a 450 mhz processor.  We calculate that
on our dual 1ghz box with ghz ethernet san connection this will go down to
under 5 minutes.  This is acceptable to us.  Sorry about the unnecessary post.

On Wednesday 11 July 2001 15:39, Mark wrote:
> Is Postgresql ready for 24/7 uptime?  Our tests have shown that vacuumdb
> requires downtime, and if one does this nightly as suggested, well, one has
> downtime, 40+ minutes in our case.
>
> My company wants to replace MS SQL Server with PostgreSQL, but we can't
> afford downtime to do database maintenance.  Is it possible that we are
> doing something wrong?
>
> What are the plans for future versions of pgsql?  Will vacuum be optomized
> or otherwise enhanced to execute more quickly and/or not lock tables?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> PS
> I posted more details to the hackers list.

> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Re: vacuum and 24/7 uptime

От
Martín Marqués
Дата:
On Mié 11 Jul 2001 13:46, Ryan Mahoney wrote:
> Hi Mark, This is being worked on now.  I believe the 7.2 release will have
> enable you to run a vacuum with no downtime.

AFAIK, if UNDO is implemented, no vacuum will be needed to free space.

It would be great if UNDO would clean indexes.

Saludos.... :-)

--
Cualquiera administra un NT.
Ese es el problema, que cualquiera administre.

Re: vacuum and 24/7 uptime

От
Bruce Momjian

> Is Postgresql ready for 24/7 uptime?  Our tests have shown that vacuumdb
> requires downtime, and if one does this nightly as suggested, well, one has
> downtime, 40+ minutes in our case.
>
> My company wants to replace MS SQL Server with PostgreSQL, but we can't
> afford downtime to do database maintenance.  Is it possible that we are doing
> something wrong?
>
> What are the plans for future versions of pgsql?  Will vacuum be optomized or
> otherwise enhanced to execute more quickly and/or not lock tables?

We hope to eliminate that downtime in 7.2.

Re: vacuum and 24/7 uptime

От
"Tim Barnard"
Дата:
Any thoughts as to when 7.2 is targeted for release?

Tim

> > Is Postgresql ready for 24/7 uptime?  Our tests have shown that vacuumdb
> > requires downtime, and if one does this nightly as suggested, well, one
has
> > downtime, 40+ minutes in our case.
> >
> > My company wants to replace MS SQL Server with PostgreSQL, but we can't
> > afford downtime to do database maintenance.  Is it possible that we are
doing
> > something wrong?
> >
> > What are the plans for future versions of pgsql?  Will vacuum be
optomized or
> > otherwise enhanced to execute more quickly and/or not lock tables?
>
> We hope to eliminate that downtime in 7.2.
>
> --

Re: vacuum and 24/7 uptime

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Any thoughts as to when 7.2 is targeted for release?

The fall, 2001.

Re: vacuum and 24/7 uptime

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> On Mi? 11 Jul 2001 13:46, Ryan Mahoney wrote:
> > Hi Mark, This is being worked on now.  I believe the 7.2 release will have
> > enable you to run a vacuum with no downtime.
>
> AFAIK, if UNDO is implemented, no vacuum will be needed to free space.
>
> It would be great if UNDO would clean indexes.

UNDO is for rolling back aborted transactions.  I have not heard it used
to eliminate vacuum.

Re: vacuum and 24/7 uptime

От
Philip Molter
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 03:55:46PM -0600, Mark wrote:
:
: We increased shared memory in the linux kernel, which decreased the vacuumdb
: time from 40 minutes to 14 minutes on a 450 mhz processor.  We calculate that
: on our dual 1ghz box with ghz ethernet san connection this will go down to
: under 5 minutes.  This is acceptable to us.  Sorry about the unnecessary post.

The other thing you can do is run vacuum more frequently.  The less it
has to do, the less time it takes (it appears).  We run vacuum on an
active system every half-hour with little to no delay (the tables
aren't very big, though, like 10000 or 100000 rows, depending on the
table).  We also recreate the indices on the most frequent table every
12 hours, since vacuum doesn't clean up after indices (again, it
appears).

Of course, we're still looking forward to 7.2 where some of this will
hopefully be unnecessary.

* Philip Molter
* DataFoundry.net
* http://www.datafoundry.net/
* philip@datafoundry.net

Pg7.2 (was: vacuum and 24/7 uptime)

От
Alexey Borzov
Дата:
Greetings, Bruce!

At 12.07.2001, 03:49, you wrote:

>> Any thoughts as to when 7.2 is targeted for release?
>>

BM> The fall, 2001.

Will you be even kinder and enlighten us, mere users, on the features
planned for this release? ;

--
Yours, Alexey V. Borzov, Webmaster of RDW.ru

Re: Pg7.2 (was: vacuum and 24/7 uptime)

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/todo.html

Re: Pg7.2 (was: vacuum and 24/7 uptime)

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Greetings, Bruce!
>
> At 12.07.2001, 03:49, you wrote:
>
> >> Any thoughts as to when 7.2 is targeted for release?
> >>

> BM> The fall, 2001.
>
> Will you be even kinder and enlighten us, mere users, on the features
> planned for this release? ;

Light-weight vacuum with light locking and statistics of queries.

All items marked with a dash on the TODO list will be in there.

Re: Re: Pg7.2 (was: vacuum and 24/7 uptime)

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruno Wolff III writes:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 11:04:11AM +0400,
>   Alexey Borzov <borz_off@rdw.ru> wrote:
> >
> > Will you be even kinder and enlighten us, mere users, on the features
> > planned for this release? ;
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/todo.html

Those are not the features planned for this release.

Re: Pg7.2 (was: vacuum and 24/7 uptime)

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Alexey Borzov writes:

> Will you be even kinder and enlighten us, mere users, on the features
> planned for this release? ;

National language support, if I can get some people to do the translating.
(Hint, hint.)

Re: Pg7.2 (was: vacuum and 24/7 uptime)

От
Ben-Nes Michael
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Alexey Borzov writes:
>
>>Will you be even kinder and enlighten us, mere users, on the features
>>planned for this release? ;
>>

>National language support, if I can get some people to do the translating.
>(Hint, hint.)

Ill be happy to help with hebrew.

Re: Re: Pg7.2 (was: vacuum and 24/7 uptime)

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Bruno Wolff III writes:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 11:04:11AM +0400,
> >   Alexey Borzov <borz_off@rdw.ru> wrote:
> > >
> > > Will you be even kinder and enlighten us, mere users, on the features
> > > planned for this release? ;
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/todo.html
>
> Those are not the features planned for this release.

Yes, only the ones marked with dashes are done for 7.2 so far.

Re: vacuum and 24/7 uptime

От
"dennis@zserve.com"
Дата:
What type of reads/writes actually have to take place during a vacuum?
Does it make a
difference if there is enough shared memory to fit the entire table
being vacuumed?
After I insert the records, the table size is about 685 M.  I calculate
that to be about 86K pages.
The max we have tried on shared memory is about 12288 buffers ( 96M ).
If buffers ~ pages
then this table takes many more than we have tried so far.  Am I totally
off on this or is there
merit to my logic?

The following may help shed light on the subject.

When I insert about 1 million records into a table and then vacuum that
table, even after I've increased
the shared memory, Vacuum still takes a tremendous amount of time on
that table.  It doesn't
take near the time after I've done the initial vacuum but it is still
very much more than is
an acceptable time to lock that table in our system.

After I the perform the initial vacuum ( which has taken as long as an 2
or more hours for that one table )
I notice two behaviors regarding the shared memory.

First, if I left postmaster with the default shared memory.  Vacuuming
the table took a considerable amount
of time.  Then, increasing the shared memory to about 64 megs sped the
process up quite a bit.
I tried 96 megs and vacuum didn't seem to change much.

The first time I vacuum after doing the insert though, doesn't seem to
be effected by the amount
of shared memory.  PG lists a little vacuum information about the table
and then prints the following for a very long time.

DEBUG:  removing transaction log file 0000000B00000085
DEBUG:  removing transaction log file 0000000B00000083
DEBUG:  XLogWrite: new log file created - consider increasing WAL_FILES
DEBUG:  XLogWrite: new log file created - consider increasing WAL_FILES
DEBUG:  XLogWrite: new log file created - consider increasing WAL_FILES
DEBUG:  removing transaction log file 0000000B00000087
DEBUG:  removing transaction log file 0000000B00000088
DEBUG:  removing transaction log file 0000000B00000086
DEBUG:  XLogWrite: new log file created - consider increasing WAL_FILES
DEBUG:  XLogWrite: new log file created - consider increasing WAL_FILES
DEBUG:  XLogWrite: new log file created - consider increasing WAL_FILES
DEBUG:  removing transaction log file 0000000B0000008A
DEBUG:  removing transaction log file 0000000B0000008B
DEBUG:  removing transaction log file 0000000B00000089
DEBUG:  XLogWrite: new log file created - consider increasing WAL_FILES
DEBUG:  XLogWrite: new log file created - consider increasing WAL_FILES
DEBUG:  XLogWrite: new log file created - consider increasing WAL_FILES

(DEBUG continues this way for approx 1 to 2 hours ).

Finally, vacuum finishes.

This behavior is specific to 7.2devel compiled from CVS on 7/11
When we tried it with REL7.1.2, the timing was similar, but the DEBUG
statements
only had create WAL_FILES and never removed them.  We ran out of disk
space
before vacuum completed.

We hope this is fixed in 7.2 but we also would like to know if there is
anyway we can get
around it now.  Are we doing something wrong that is making vacuum take
so long?
I thought vacuum should never take 2.5 hours even if the table was
pretty big.

Some more info if your still interesed.

The table that has 1 million rows has four ints, four varchars(20) and
one text and a boolean.  It has Primary
key and two indexes each with two fields.

We have one more table that has 2.8 million records.  This one only has
two fields, one index
and the size of the table is only 180 Megs as compared to the 685 in the
first table.  Vacuumb
takes care of this table in a reasonable amount of time.  Maybe number
of pages in the table is
the real key here??

Any suggestions much appreciated :-)
Thanks
Dennis

> > otherwise enhanced to execute more quickly and/or not lock tables?
>
> We hope to eliminate that downtime in 7.2.
>
> --

Re: vacuum and 24/7 uptime

От
Martín Marqués
Дата:
On Mié 11 Jul 2001 20:49, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Mi? 11 Jul 2001 13:46, Ryan Mahoney wrote:
> > > Hi Mark, This is being worked on now.  I believe the 7.2 release will
> > > have enable you to run a vacuum with no downtime.
> >
> > AFAIK, if UNDO is implemented, no vacuum will be needed to free space.
> >
> > It would be great if UNDO would clean indexes.
>
> UNDO is for rolling back aborted transactions.  I have not heard it used
> to eliminate vacuum.

I most have read badly, but I'm almost sure that I heard that UNDO was gonna
solve the overload that vacuum does on big DB.
Which is, in that case, the real status of the future of UNDO?

Saludos.... :-)

--
Cualquiera administra un NT.
Ese es el problema, que cualquiera administre.
Martin Marques                  |        mmarques@unl.edu.ar
Programador, Administrador      |       Centro de Telematica
                       Universidad Nacional
                            del Litoral

Re: vacuum and 24/7 uptime

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:

> > > AFAIK, if UNDO is implemented, no vacuum will be needed to free space.
> > >
> > > It would be great if UNDO would clean indexes.
> >
> > UNDO is for rolling back aborted transactions.  I have not heard it used
> > to eliminate vacuum.
>
> I most have read badly, but I'm almost sure that I heard that UNDO was gonna
> solve the overload that vacuum does on big DB.
> Which is, in that case, the real status of the future of UNDO?

UNDO was discussed as a solution for subtransactions and for row reuse
of aborted transactions.  I have not heard it for clearing out expire
rows caused by DELETE or UPDATE.

Re: vacuum and 24/7 uptime

От
Martín Marqués
Дата:
On Jue 12 Jul 2001 16:42, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Mi? 11 Jul 2001 20:49, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > I most have read badly, but I'm almost sure that I heard that UNDO was
> > gonna solve the overload that vacuum does on big DB.
> > Which is, in that case, the real status of the future of UNDO?
>
> UNDO was discussed as a solution for subtransactions and for row reuse
> of aborted transactions.  I have not heard it for clearing out expire
> rows caused by DELETE or UPDATE.

But the discussion started with a long mail from Tom who dropped the a
posible solution of the row reuse of the ones which have been expired by
DELETE or UPDATE.

Saludos... :-)

P.D.: If there is someone interested in the mail Tom send:

http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=118484

--
Cualquiera administra un NT.
Ese es el problema, que cualquiera administre.
Martin Marques                  |        mmarques@unl.edu.ar
Programador, Administrador      |       Centro de Telematica
                       Universidad Nacional
                            del Litoral

Re: vacuum and 24/7 uptime

От
Joseph Shraibman
Дата:
Philip Molter wrote:

> table).  We also recreate the indices on the most frequent table every
> 12 hours, since vacuum doesn't clean up after indices (again, it
> appears).

Are you sure about that?  Since an index grows with each insert or
update they would soon take up the whole disk for any active databases.

I see in my postgres log:
DEBUG:  Index ml_pkey: Pages 882; Tuples 174067: Deleted 18. CPU
0.07s/0.62u sec.

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net

Re: vacuum and 24/7 uptime

От
Guy Fraser
Mark wrote:

> Is Postgresql ready for 24/7 uptime?  Our tests have shown that vacuumdb
> requires downtime, and if one does this nightly as suggested, well, one has
> downtime, 40+ minutes in our case.
>
> My company wants to replace MS SQL Server with PostgreSQL, but we can't
> afford downtime to do database maintenance.  Is it possible that we are doing
> something wrong?
>
> What are the plans for future versions of pgsql?  Will vacuum be optomized or
> otherwise enhanced to execute more quickly and/or not lock tables?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> PS
> I posted more details to the hackers list.

> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Hi

Have you tried creating a duplicating each table then drop the original
and rename
the new one ?

I don't know if that is what you are looking for but dropping a table
and renaming
a table is very quick. The new table should not need to be vacuumed
because all the
tuples are in use.

A quick little script can have this done automatically at an appropriate
time of
the day or night.

I don't have any databases that can't stand a few seconds of down time
around 03:00.

Simple solutions can be more effective than complex solutions {Keep It
Simple Smart}.

Guy Fraser

--
There is a fine line between genius and lunacy, fear not, walk the
line with pride. Not all things will end up as you wanted, but you