Обсуждение: fun in redmond

fun in redmond

От
tony
Дата:
"Microsoft adds Java support to database
Microsoft is planning to make available software for linking Java
programs to its database software. The Redmond, Wash., behemoth said
Tuesday that it will sell software that allows Java programs to connect
to data housed in Microsoft's SQL Server 2000 database. Microsoft is
licensing the software, called a Java Database Connectivity (JDBC)
driver, from software maker Merant and re-branding it under the
Microsoft name."

Isn't that a laugh. Microsoft supporting a non standard connection
method... I thought that asp was a nice secure protocol for connecting
web applications to SQL server =:-D

Cheers

Tony Grant

Re: fun in redmond

От
wsheldah@lexmark.com

What was wrong with JDBC::ODBC?  I don't use Java, but I thought this solution
was out there for a while already?  Just not db-specific enough for them?

tony <tony%animaproductions.com@interlock.lexmark.com> on 09/26/2001 04:09:32 AM

To:   postgres list <pgsql-general%postgresql.org@interlock.lexmark.com>
cc:    (bcc: Wesley Sheldahl/Lex/Lexmark)
Subject:  [GENERAL] fun in redmond

"Microsoft adds Java support to database
Microsoft is planning to make available software for linking Java
programs to its database software. The Redmond, Wash., behemoth said
Tuesday that it will sell software that allows Java programs to connect
to data housed in Microsoft's SQL Server 2000 database. Microsoft is
licensing the software, called a Java Database Connectivity (JDBC)
driver, from software maker Merant and re-branding it under the
Microsoft name."

Isn't that a laugh. Microsoft supporting a non standard connection
method... I thought that asp was a nice secure protocol for connecting
web applications to SQL server =:-D

Cheers

Tony Grant

Re: fun in redmond

От
"Brent R. Matzelle"
Дата:
--- wsheldah@lexmark.com wrote:
> What was wrong with JDBC::ODBC?  I don't use Java, but I
> thought this solution
> was out there for a while already?  Just not db-specific
> enough for them?

It's not that anything is wrong with it necessarily.  But
JDBC::ODBC is a DB abstraction layer on top of a DB abstraction
layer, which loads on some overhead.  I would think that MS is
trying to do away with those performance concerns and infiltrate
more Java shops through the back end (pun intended).

Brent

Re: fun in redmond [OT]

От
Bradley McLean
Дата:
* Brent R. Matzelle (bmatzelle@yahoo.com) [010926 10:05]:
> --- wsheldah@lexmark.com wrote:
> > What was wrong with JDBC::ODBC?  I don't use Java, but I
> > thought this solution
> > was out there for a while already?  Just not db-specific
> > enough for them?
>
> It's not that anything is wrong with it necessarily.  But
> JDBC::ODBC is a DB abstraction layer on top of a DB abstraction
> layer, which loads on some overhead.  I would think that MS is
> trying to do away with those performance concerns and infiltrate
> more Java shops through the back end (pun intended).

Actually, there are rather serious issues with the JDBC to ODBC
bridge, which is why you'll discover that it's use has been
deprecated for years, and considered unsupported.  Among the
problems are lack of thread safety, memory leaks, and extreme
inefficiency in handling largish operations.

In short, it's a toy,  useless for anything except prototyping.
Which is why there was/is a sizable market for aftermarket JDBC
drivers.

-Brad