Обсуждение: Access to Postgresql Utility

Access to Postgresql Utility

От
David Bryan
Дата:
I am currently working on a MS Access to PostgreSQL utility. Since I could
not find one I suppose I will either release it to the PostgreSQL folks or
put it out as open source.

What I am tring to discover is the maximum length table, field, index names
can be. I want to make sure that I correct any problems during the SQL code
generation.

Curently the product is written in VB5 and generates scripts for table,
index, and relationships. Eventually it will also generate data import
scripts.

The idea is to make it easier to port Access applications to PostgreSQL
rather than SQL Server.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Access to Postgresql Utility

От
caldodge@fpcc.net (Calvin Dodge)
Дата:
David Bryan <d_bryan_remove@onebox.com> wrote in message news:<I4mY7.1086$tu1.420591758@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>...
> I am currently working on a MS Access to PostgreSQL utility. Since I could
> not find one I suppose I will either release it to the PostgreSQL folks or
> put it out as open source.

You might try http://sevainc.com/access/.  There's an Access-based
converter there which does a reasonable job of converting Access to
PostgreSQL (providing there are no "funny" characters in the table,
field, or index names.

> What I am tring to discover is the maximum length table, field, index names
> can be. I want to make sure that I correct any problems during the SQL code
> generation.

Generally, the length limit on names is 31 characters.  That can be
changed at compile time - which means it would be the default limit
for those users (including me) who simply install it from the binary
package (rpm, deb) of their choice.

> The idea is to make it easier to port Access applications to PostgreSQL
> rather than SQL Server.

A worthy goal, to be sure.

One "gotcha" to watch out for - PostgreSQL allows indexes on "text"
fields (unlimited-length strings), while Access does NOT do indexes on
its equivalent (memo).  Because of this, Access will choke if you try
to create an ODBC link to a Postgres table with indexed text fields.
(one workaround is to create a view which includes the table in
question, since Access doesn't "see" indexes for tables in a view).

Calvin

Mammoth is born

От
"Command Prompt, Inc."
Дата:
Hello,

The new issue of TUX (Terminator Unit X) is available. The new issue can
be found here:

http://www.thelinuxreview.com/TUX/07/

In this issue, a new character is born, Mammoth. Mammoth is a mutant
woolly mammoth with an open source core based off the University of
California Ingres source (e.g.; PostgreSQL).

Disclaimer: Mammoth is a cameo in this issue on the last page. He will
have a larger role in the next issue.

Sincerley,

Joshua Drake
jd@commandprompt.com