Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] Feature enhancement request : use of libgda in

Re: [HACKERS] Feature enhancement request : use of libgda in

Дата:
> To a certain extent I agree.  I have definitely seen times where I have
> spent hours and hours and hours of coding doing something that a core
> developer can do in no time, but just isn't inclined to do.

Well, you know, there is some method in our madness.  We'd like to see
more people develop the skills to work on Postgres, and the above is how
you do it.  (How do you think the core developers learned?)  If we did
all the "easy" stuff because it was easy, there'd be no appropriate
projects for new developers to tackle.

Which is not to say that DROP COLUMN is easy; it's not.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Feature enhancement request : use of libgda in

Дата:
Greg Copeland <greg@CopelandConsulting.Net> writes:
> [ several useful comments snipped ]

> In fact, I'm happy this came up as I recently emailed a core developer
> asking for places to start as well as any preferred documentation to
> start with.  Basically I was told read the code and go read the docs.

I believe you are complaining about me.  In my defense I'll just say
that your question was basically "how does the optimizer work", which
covers rather a lot of territory.  I didn't see any more useful answer
than the one I gave you, short of writing a book which I was not about
to do in private email.

As I said in that mail and will say again, I believe in carrying on that
sort of discussion in the pgsql-hackers list, where other developers and
wannabee developers have some chance of benefiting from it.  Private mail
only teaches one person.  As for IRC, personally I hate it: it discourages
taking the time for a considered answer, it does not work well for
people in vastly different timezones, and it leaves no archive trail
that others might learn from later.  However, there are other developers
who think differently; I believe you can often find Bruce on IRC, for
example.

The PG community is big enough to support multiple interactions, and if
some folk want to use IRC I have no objection to it.  But I feel that
the hub of the development activity is pgsql-hackers.  There is nothing
wrong with asking questions there.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Feature enhancement request : use of libgda

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> I believe you are complaining about me.  In my defense I'll just say
> that your question was basically "how does the optimizer work", which
> covers rather a lot of territory.  I didn't see any more useful answer
> than the one I gave you, short of writing a book which I was not about
> to do in private email.
>
> As I said in that mail and will say again, I believe in carrying on that
> sort of discussion in the pgsql-hackers list, where other developers and
> wannabee developers have some chance of benefiting from it.  Private mail
> only teaches one person.  As for IRC, personally I hate it: it discourages
> taking the time for a considered answer, it does not work well for
> people in vastly different timezones, and it leaves no archive trail
> that others might learn from later.  However, there are other developers
> who think differently; I believe you can often find Bruce on IRC, for
> example.
>
> The PG community is big enough to support multiple interactions, and if
> some folk want to use IRC I have no objection to it.  But I feel that
> the hub of the development activity is pgsql-hackers.  There is nothing
> wrong with asking questions there.

I agree with Tom.  General questions are best asked on hackers.  IRC/AIM
is best for "what does this variable do" and "do I need to call elog()
here";  things that can hold you up from getting the job done. The delay
of email can be too slow for such exchanges and lacks the interactive
feel of discussing an issue with someone.  So I think both have their
place in the PostgreSQL developers support structure.

Mail archives problems

Дата:
Greg Copeland <greg@copelandconsulting.net> writes:
> Actually, I have been reading the archives ALOT!  Since they are not
> searchable (searches for me result in nothing happening) it greatly
> limits the accessibility and thusly the usability of them.

Yeah, both fts.postgresql.org and archives.postgresql.org searches have
been broken for several weeks now.  Marc, can't we *please* do something
about that?

In the meantime, Greg, most of the key PG mail lists are archived and
searchable at geocrawler, http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Databases/
There are probably other archive services that I don't know about.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Mail archives problems

От
"Bjoern Metzdorf"
Дата:
> In the meantime, Greg, most of the key PG mail lists are archived and
> searchable at geocrawler, http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Databases/
> There are probably other archive services that I don't know about.

marc.theaimsgroup.com is my favorite.

greetings
Bjoern

Re: Mail archives problems

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Greg Copeland <greg@copelandconsulting.net> writes:
> > Actually, I have been reading the archives ALOT!  Since they are not
> > searchable (searches for me result in nothing happening) it greatly
> > limits the accessibility and thusly the usability of them.
>
> Yeah, both fts.postgresql.org and archives.postgresql.org searches have
> been broken for several weeks now.  Marc, can't we *please* do something
> about that?

I used archives.postgresql.org just the other day and found what I was
looking for with it ...

Re: Mail archives problems

От
Philip Hallstrom
Дата:
There's also:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql

(be sure to check the "search this only" button before searching)

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Greg Copeland <greg@copelandconsulting.net> writes:
> > Actually, I have been reading the archives ALOT!  Since they are not
> > searchable (searches for me result in nothing happening) it greatly
> > limits the accessibility and thusly the usability of them.
>
> Yeah, both fts.postgresql.org and archives.postgresql.org searches have
> been broken for several weeks now.  Marc, can't we *please* do something
> about that?
>
> In the meantime, Greg, most of the key PG mail lists are archived and
> searchable at geocrawler, http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Databases/
> There are probably other archive services that I don't know about.
>
>             regards, tom lane

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Mail archives problems

От
Tigran
Дата:
I'm sorry this is off topic but I've been looking for a long time.

I'm looking for open source archiving software.
To run a website like the ones mentioned.

Thanks

At 04:38 PM 2/12/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>There's also:
>
>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql
>
>(be sure to check the "search this only" button before searching)
>
>On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Greg Copeland <greg@copelandconsulting.net> writes:
> > > Actually, I have been reading the archives ALOT!  Since they are not
> > > searchable (searches for me result in nothing happening) it greatly
> > > limits the accessibility and thusly the usability of them.
> >
> > Yeah, both fts.postgresql.org and archives.postgresql.org searches have
> > been broken for several weeks now.  Marc, can't we *please* do something
> > about that?
> >
> > In the meantime, Greg, most of the key PG mail lists are archived and
> > searchable at geocrawler, http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Databases/
> > There are probably other archive services that I don't know about.
> >
> >                       regards, tom lane

Re: Mail archives problems

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Tuesday 12 February 2002 07:42 pm, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Yeah, both fts.postgresql.org and archives.postgresql.org searches have
> > been broken for several weeks now.  Marc, can't we *please* do something
> > about that?

> I used archives.postgresql.org just the other day and found what I was
> looking for with it ...

It just takes awhile to do the search.  I just did a search on 'RPM' in
'hackers' and it took 248.18 seconds to return 1207 matches.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio