Обсуждение: Postgres on Apple hardware?

Postgres on Apple hardware?

От
Matthew Hixson
Дата:
Anyone out there running Postgres on either Linux or Mac OS X on Apple
hardware?  Any problems with compiling/running Postgres in either of those
environments?
  Thanks,
   -M@

Re: Postgres on Apple hardware?

От
"Robert J. Sanford, Jr."
Дата:
if you check out http://techdocs.postgresql.org you will find that there is
already a binary port or two for osx.

rjsjr

tony
Дата:
On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 00:03, Matthew Hixson wrote:
> Anyone out there running Postgres on either Linux or Mac OS X on Apple
> hardware?  Any problems with compiling/running Postgres in either of those
> environments?

All the GUI tools are either shareware or commercial. I have tried
getting pgaccess to work but there is some lind of issue with the tcl or
tk libs.

Wish runs just fine but as soon as I try to open the pgaccess script it
either quits or gives an access denied error.

I'll start fishing around on tcl/tk lists for mac capable people when I
get the time.

In fact I am much more interested in getting a free GUI for postgres
running on Mac OS X than running the database there. The binaries for
Linux intel are easier to come by and the first to be updated, and a
bi-pentium outperforms a Bi-G4 for database serving (see recent
benchmarks)

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
RedHat Linux on Sony Vaio C1XD/S
http://www.animaproductions.com/linux2.html

Re: Postgres on Apple hardware?

От
Joel Rodrigues
Дата:
On Tuesday, March 12, 2002, at 04:33 , Matthew Hixson wrote:

> Anyone out there running Postgres on either Linux or Mac OS X on Apple
> hardware?  Any problems with compiling/running Postgres in
> either of those
> environments?
>   Thanks,
>    -M@

I've just dived head first into PostgreSQL v7.2 on OSX v 10.1.3
on a 233MHz G3.
Got it from http://www.entropy.ch/software/MacOSx/postgresql/

It should be simple enough to compile it yourself though and
there are instructions on the same page.

Apple has some good info for getting started with web
development on OS X :
http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/osdb.html

Cheers,
Joel

Re: Postgres on Apple hardware?

От
"Jeffrey W. Baker"
Дата:
On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 15:03, Matthew Hixson wrote:
> Anyone out there running Postgres on either Linux or Mac OS X on Apple
> hardware?  Any problems with compiling/running Postgres in either of those
> environments?

I was running it on a PowerBook running Debian Linux but since Debian
upgraded to version 7.2, I cannot start the postmaster.  It exits
immediately with SIGABRT.  I guess this would be a "problem running
postgres" but I suspect the problem actually lies with Debian's package.

-jwb

Re: Postgres on Apple hardware?

От
Jeff Fitzmyers
Дата:
>> Anyone out there running Postgres on either Linux or Mac OS X on Apple
>> hardware?  Any problems with compiling/running Postgres in either of
>> those
>> environments?

I have not tired to compile it - but postgres runs fine for me (simple
development) on a PowerBook G3 with 384 MB RAM and a desktop G4. Both
systems running OS X 10.1.3.

I got the binaries from:
http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/
I was up and running in a very short time :)

Jeff

Queries from different databases

От
"Carlo Florendo"
Дата:
Does PostgreSQL 7.2 support queries on tables from different databases?
If so, I'd like to know the syntax.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Carlo Florendo
NEC Telecoms
fcarlo@ntsp.nec.co.jp

Re: Postgres on Apple hardware?

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 23:28, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 15:03, Matthew Hixson wrote:
> > Anyone out there running Postgres on either Linux or Mac OS X on Apple
> > hardware?  Any problems with compiling/running Postgres in either of those
> > environments?
>
> I was running it on a PowerBook running Debian Linux but since Debian
> upgraded to version 7.2, I cannot start the postmaster.  It exits
> immediately with SIGABRT.  I guess this would be a "problem running
> postgres" but I suspect the problem actually lies with Debian's package.

So how about submitting a bug report?  I can't fix packaging errors I
don't know about.

No one else has reported such a problem with the package, but I don't
know how many users there are on that architecture (is that powerpc?).
You should also cc the appropriate Debian mailing list for your
architecture, since I only have i386 machines.

     "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see
      your good works, and glorify your Father which is in
      heaven."         Matthew 5:16

Re: Queries from different databases

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Jeudi 14 Mars 2002 06:18, Carlo Florendo a écrit :
> Does PostgreSQL 7.2 support queries on tables from different databases?
> If so, I'd like to know the syntax.

I don't think so. The only possibility (?) would be to used an untrusted
server-side language (such as PLperl if it can be used as untrusted) and
query other backends. By now, this is merely impossible. If someone knows how
to do it, I would be interested in knowing.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel pOURE

Re: Postgres on Apple hardware?

От
William C Brennan
Дата:
Just to respond to the general question...
I'm successfully running Postgres 7.2 on a Power Mac 7200/90 using
the Debian Linux distribution.  I'm not doing any substantial work yet,
(still on a learning curve) but simple queries work fine.

Re: Queries from different databases

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Le Jeudi 14 Mars 2002 06:18, Carlo Florendo a écrit :
>
>>Does PostgreSQL 7.2 support queries on tables from different databases?
>>If so, I'd like to know the syntax.
>>

> I don't think so. The only possibility (?) would be to used an untrusted
> server-side language (such as PLperl if it can be used as untrusted) and
> query other backends. By now, this is merely impossible. If someone knows how
> to do it, I would be interested in knowing.
>
> Cheers,
> Jean-Michel pOURE

See dblink in contrib. It is crude, but might work for you depending on
your needs.

Joe