Обсуждение: PostgreSQL the right choice?

PostgreSQL the right choice?

От
Richard Chrenko
Дата:
I have been looking for a RDBMS to deploy with our solar energy
simulation.

MySQL looks like it's free until you want to bundle it with a commercial
application, at which time license fees are required. What is the
situation with PostgreSQL?

Given that we have a Java application and don't have the manpower to
port a DBMS, what are the platforms on which PostgreSQL is currently
stable?

Is it possible to deploy PostgreSQL via an installer program, then
automatically run a script to generate the tables and populate them with
data from flat files?

Thanks for any comments.
--
Richard Chrenko, Informatik
Institut für Solartechnik SPF

Re: PostgreSQL the right choice?

От
"Marshall Spight"
Дата:
"Richard Chrenko" <richard@solarenergy.ch> wrote in message news:3C8EF7D7.1003ECC3@solarenergy.ch...

> MySQL looks like it's free until you want to bundle it with a commercial
> application, at which time license fees are required. What is the
> situation with PostgreSQL?

That's not why you want to avoid MySQL. You want to avoid MySQL
because it's underpowered. No transactions, no foreign keys, no subselects,
etc. etc.

> Given that we have a Java application and don't have the manpower to
> port a DBMS, what are the platforms on which PostgreSQL is currently
> stable?

I think the short answer is "all of them." It runs great on Windows (under cygwin)
and many unix and linux.

Try it out.

Marshall

Re: PostgreSQL the right choice?

От
Vincent Stoessel
Дата:
Marshall Spight wrote:
> "Richard Chrenko" <richard@solarenergy.ch> wrote in message news:3C8EF7D7.1003ECC3@solarenergy.ch...
>
>>MySQL looks like it's free until you want to bundle it with a commercial
>>application, at which time license fees are required. What is the
>>situation with PostgreSQL?
>

> That's not why you want to avoid MySQL. You want to avoid MySQL
> because it's underpowered. No transactions, no foreign keys, no subselects,
> etc. etc.

Why is there so much mysql bashing?
I like postgresql too but I don't have to put down mysql
to justify using it.
Mysql is a simple, fast database that is quite solid from my experience.
It is usually my first choice as a web backend  for php/jsp  based websites.

I usually use postgresql on system based projects (usually in perl )
where I really need to use foreign keys and tranactions and  the
loss of data would be a very expensive thing.

The current version of mysql does have foreign keys and transactions
available via the new innodb table type. I have not used it production
yet, but I am testing them.

--
Vincent Stoessel vincent@xaymaca.com
Linux and Java Application Developer

Re: PostgreSQL the right choice?

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
> That's not why you want to avoid MySQL. You want to avoid MySQL
> because it's underpowered. No transactions, no foreign keys, no subselects,
> etc. etc.

No Unicode, no large nested queries, no views, no triggers, no server-side
language : no PLpgSQL, no PLperl, etc... Poor ODBC support...

If your database is involved in a business, you need to migrate to
PostgreSQL. One day or another, MySQL limited features will hinder you.

/Jean-Michel

Re: PostgreSQL the right choice?

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Mercredi 13 Mars 2002 07:55, Richard Chrenko a écrit :
> MySQL looks like it's free until you want to bundle it with a commercial
> application, at which time license fees are required. What is the
> situation with PostgreSQL?

PostgreSQL is completely free for commercial and non-commercial use. pgAdmin2
(http://pgadmin.postgresql.org), PostgreSQL Windows administration interface
is completely free.

> Given that we have a Java application and don't have the manpower to
> port a DBMS, what are the platforms on which PostgreSQL is currently
> stable?

PostgreSQL is the most stable Open-source database available.

> Is it possible to deploy PostgreSQL via an installer program, then
> automatically run a script to generate the tables and populate them with
> data from flat files?

Linux : PostgreSQL 7.2can be deployed via RPM (see PostgreSQL FTP in
/binaries).
Windows : PostgreSQL 7.2 is included in Cygwin installer
(http://www.cygwin.com).

An interactive doc is available from http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE

Re: PostgreSQL the right choice?

От
"David Siebert"
Дата:
Do you really need an SQL Database for this? I am trying to figure out why
you would need a database server with a simulation? I have heard of a
tinySQL server that is written all in java and might do what you need
without having to install and setup a database server just to run a
simulation. How big is the data set you are using? couldn't you use a flat
file for this?

[...]

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: PostgreSQL the right choice?

От
Jasbir D
Дата:
Checkout Firebird as well - which appears to be the other alternative.

    http://firebird.sourceforge.net/index.php

q: How does open source affect the costs for companies which use
Interbase or Firebird as an embedded server?

a: Firebird server and client are free of all licensing fees,
regardless of whether you download a binary or build it yourself from
the source code.

I agree that mySQL is too limited for serious use.