Обсуждение: inheritence behavior question ....

inheritence behavior question ....

От
Дата:
I did the following  which sounds illogical to me :
<snip>
test=> create table father (col1 integer not null unique);
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE/UNIQUE will create implicit index 'father_col1_key'
for table 'father'
CREATE
test=> create table son (col2 integer) inherits (father);
CREATE
test=> insert into father (1);
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "1"
test=> insert into father values (1);
INSERT 19423 1
test=> insert into father values (2);
INSERT 19424 1
test=> insert into father values (3);
INSERT 19425 1
test=> insert into son values (1, 3);
INSERT 19426 1
test=> select  * from father;
 col1
------
    1
    2
    3
    1
(4 rows)

</snip>

Could some one explain why the last insert did not fail ?
I understand why it could work !
But I would still expect it to fail as the user requested to have the tabl
containing unique values and it obviously doesn't contain only uniques ..

Much tx,

thomas,

--
Thomas SMETS
rue J. Wytsmanstraat 62

Re: inheritence behavior question ....

От
"Cornelia Boenigk"
Дата:
Hi Thomas

> Could some one explain why the last insert did not fail ?

Because you inserted into the table son;-)
 So why should it fail?

Greetings
Conni

Re: inheritence behavior question ....

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 tsmets@brutele.be wrote:

> I did the following  which sounds illogical to me :
> <snip>
> test=> create table father (col1 integer not null unique);
> NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE/UNIQUE will create implicit index 'father_col1_key'
> for table 'father'
> CREATE
> test=> create table son (col2 integer) inherits (father);
> CREATE

Currently primary keys, unique constraints and foreign keys do not
inherit to child tables.  There's also no current notion of unique
across the inheritance tree build in (you can probably kind of fake it
with an additional table and a bunch of rules, but...)

Re: inheritence behavior question ....

От
Дата:
Nope what really bothers me is that I see the son's values while querying
the father !
That w/o specifying the father*
<snip>
test=> select  * from father;
 col1
------
    1
    2
    3
    1
(4 rows)
</snip>

I have absolutely no problem with the inserts in the son !
Dropping the constraints at Son's level sound weird to me but I can agree
with that w/o toomuch problem !

It's the query result that bothers me !

thomas,

--
Thomas SMETS
rue J. Wytsmanstraat 62
> Could some one explain why the last insert did not fail ?

Because you inserted into the table son;-)
 So why should it fail?

Greetings
Conni

Re: inheritence behavior question ....

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 10:09, tsmets@brutele.be wrote:

> Nope what really bothers me is that I see the son's values while querying
> the father !

If you select on a parent table, you see all of its descendents as
well.  To see just the parent say "SELECT * FROM ONLY father".

     "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed
      within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise
      Him, my Saviour and my God."       Psalm 42:11

Вложения