Обсуждение: Do I just not understand count()?

Do I just not understand count()?

От
Ben
Дата:
If I have the table t defined as:

---
 1
 1
 2

and I say:

select count(a=1) from t;

should it give me 1 or 2 as a result? I'm getting 2, and I'd think I
should get 1....

Re: Do I just not understand count()?

От
"Gregory Wood"
Дата:
I don't think I've seen that particular syntax used before (I would say
select count(a) from t where a=1;), but since the query appears to work, I
won't argue.

Why do you think it should give you a result of 1? There are two rows
containing a value of 1 for a, hence it returns 2.

Greg

> should it give me 1 or 2 as a result? I'm getting 2, and I'd think I
> should get 1....

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Do I just not understand count()?

От
Ben
Дата:
Er, uh, well, because I confused myself with my trivial example. :)

What I should have said was: it's giving me 3 (not 2), and I'm expecting 2
(not 1).

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Hunter Hillegas wrote:

> Why would you think it would return 1? the number of rows where a=1 in t is
> 2...
>

> > From: Ben <bench@silentmedia.com>
> > Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:25:43 -0700 (PDT)
> > To: <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
> > Subject: [GENERAL] Do I just not understand count()?
> >
> > If I have the table t defined as:

> > ---
> > 1
> > 1
> > 2
> >

> > and I say:
> >
> > select count(a=1) from t;
> >
> > should it give me 1 or 2 as a result? I'm getting 2, and I'd think I
> > should get 1....

Re: Do I just not understand count()?

От
Ben
Дата:
That's what I'd normally do to, but in this case I want to run a query
more like

select count(a=1), count(a=2) from t

and I don't want to do multiple selects, because I'm selecting other stuff
too, which takes time, and I figure as long as postgres is looking at
those rows, it might as well tally up the counts of a=1 and a=2.

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Gregory Wood wrote:

> I don't think I've seen that particular syntax used before (I would say
> select count(a) from t where a=1;), but since the query appears to work, I
> won't argue.
>
> Why do you think it should give you a result of 1? There are two rows
> containing a value of 1 for a, hence it returns 2.
>
> Greg

Clinton Adams
Дата:
> If I have the table t defined as:

> ---
>  1
>  1
>  2
>

> and I say:
>
> select count(a=1) from t;
>
> should it give me 1 or 2 as a result? I'm getting 2, and I'd think I
> should get 1....
It will give you a result of 3, as a=1 does not toss out rows for which a <>
1.

You would need to add some parameters to limit the rows that count is
countin...
select count(a) from t where a = 1
would give you 2

select count(DISTINCT a) from t where a = 1
would give you 1

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Do I just not understand count()?

От
"Gregory Wood"
Дата:
I'm fairly sure you can't return a conditional count... count likes to
merely return the number of rows that match the query, which in this case is
all of them. I'm not sure exactly what it does with "a=1" though... I'm
guessing that it returns a boolean value, which means that it counts as a
row (only NULL values are not counted in count()).

If you're selecting other stuff, you won't be able to return more than one
row anyway... you'll have to either use a subquery or do a GROUP BY.

Greg

broadcast)---------------------------
> > > TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Do I just not understand count()

От
"Jim Ballard"
Дата:
Try

select sum(case when a=1 then 1 else 0 end), sum(case when a=2 the 1 else 0
end) from t;

to get the number of occurrences of each value.

Jim Ballard

> > should it give me 1 or 2 as a result? I'm getting 2, and I'd think I
> > should get 1....
> It will give you a result of 3, as a=1 does not toss out rows for which a
<>
> 1.
>
> You would need to add some parameters to limit the rows that count is
> countin...
> select count(a) from t where a = 1
> would give you 2
>
> select count(DISTINCT a) from t where a = 1
> would give you 1

Re: Do I just not understand count()?

От
"Nigel J. Andrews"

Perhaps it would clear up things for those more expert on SQL [and it's
variations across DBs] than I if you could say on what system you would
normally do this.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---
Logictree Systems Limited
Computer Consultants

Re: Do I just not understand count()?

Дата:
"Gregory Wood" <gregw@com-stock.com> writes:
> I'm not sure exactly what it does with "a=1" though... I'm
> guessing that it returns a boolean value, which means that it counts as a
> row (only NULL values are not counted in count()).

Yup, Greg gets a gold star: COUNT *only* cares whether its input is NULL
or not, not what specific value it might have.  This is per SQL spec.

The nearby suggestions involving SUM() look like they would work to
accumulate counts of different conditions in a single pass.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Do I just not understand count()?

От
Ben
Дата:
This is the first time I've tried. I noticed that I could add a DISTINCT
clause to count(), and wondered why I couldn't add an equality and make it
work as well.