Обсуждение: Advocacy Idea.

Advocacy Idea.

От
"Jeff MacDonald"
Дата:
Hi,

Alot of folks over the years have contributed to the user gallery
[http://www.pgsql.com/user_gallery/] which is great. But the user
gallery has even more effect when people actually read it :)

Could the currect user gallery be some how "mutated" to also be
a PostgreSQL Web Ring. That is , when you sign up on the gallery
you get an icon, with a little chunk of html code. You can then
take this icon and proudly post it on your site as powered by postgresql.

When people click on it, they'd get directed to you gallery entry.

Or something like that. "click here for next project in the webring" etc..

This doesn't nativly apply to all projects [only web based ones] but that
in and of it's self is a large market.

PostgreSQL has alot of good advocacy sites out there , alot of commuity
support. But it's very scattered. Perhaps by seeing what we already have
and mutating those things, instead of always starting from scratch, we
could move further ahead faster.

If this is not an option, I'd be willing to put my time into making a
PostgreSQL Webring, that would allow people to proudly say "we run postres"
and see more who have made the right choice.

Let me know any feed back.

Re: Advocacy Idea.

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Jeff MacDonald wrote:
> If this is not an option, I'd be willing to put my time into making a
> PostgreSQL Webring, that would allow people to proudly say "we run postres"
> and see more who have made the right choice.

A webring would be interesting to me.

Re: Advocacy Idea.

От
"Jeff MacDonald"
Дата:
In the registration page for the webring[whether i write it, or it maybe
becomes
part of the gallery] i think it would be a good idea to ask some less
technical
/ more marketroid questions.

ie: What made you chose PostgreSQL ?
    What other options did you explore, why didn't you go with them..

etc.. to get some good marketing info at the same time, maybe we'll get some
really great testemonials or something..

i'll let the idea brew a bit more on the list...

Re: Advocacy Idea.

От
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Дата:
On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Jeff MacDonald wrote:
> > If this is not an option, I'd be willing to put my time into making a
> > PostgreSQL Webring, that would allow people to proudly say "we run postres"
> > and see more who have made the right choice.
>
> A webring would be interesting to me.

I'd be interested in seeing the user gallery working. I looked for my
submission a week or two after registering it and couldn't find it.

Overall, I think the user gallery needs a redesign, the paging through pages
upon pages of lists which say nothing useful, for example all those entries
that haven't specified some of the items, to be very annoying.

If I'm looking at the wrong thing I'm happy to be corrected. I was looking at
the link in the user's louge for PostgreSQL users,
i.e. http://www.pgsql.com/user_gallery/ .

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---
Logictree Systems Limited
Computer Consultants

Re: Advocacy Idea.

От
"Jeff MacDonald"
Дата:
Hi,

Yep, that's the right link you have. I think that the submission list is
human moderated, and as we all know some times folks get a bit behind :(

I can't believe i'm about to say this [we're all busy eh ! :)]
  if it's ok with Pgsql Inc, i'd be willing to work on a new user
   gallery [include convering data from the old one].

The new one could include surveys, and searches as well as the afore
mentioned
webring.

My time is limited to "casual" development until around sept [getting
married
between then and now] but after that i could put even more time into it.

So once again , if it's ok with pgsql inc, i'll put in some time on it.

I guess all i'd need to get started would be a dump of the current database.

Jeff.

Re: Advocacy Idea.

От
Elaine Lindelef
Дата:
>On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Jeff MacDonald wrote:
> > > If this is not an option, I'd be willing to put my time into making a
> > > PostgreSQL Webring, that would allow people to proudly say "we
>run postres"
> > > and see more who have made the right choice.
> >
> > A webring would be interesting to me.
>
>I'd be interested in seeing the user gallery working. I looked for my
>submission a week or two after registering it and couldn't find it.
>
>Overall, I think the user gallery needs a redesign, the paging through pages
>upon pages of lists which say nothing useful, for example all those entries
>that haven't specified some of the items, to be very annoying.
>
>If I'm looking at the wrong thing I'm happy to be corrected. I was looking at
>the link in the user's louge for PostgreSQL users,
>i.e. http://www.pgsql.com/user_gallery/ .
>

>--
>Nigel J. Andrews
>Director
>
>---
>Logictree Systems Limited
>Computer Consultants

As far as I could tell, the project description field was never displayed.

I think it would be great to have more "success stories" type
submissions - the current form doesn't really allow it.

It would also be nice if projects could be divided more by function -
for example, it should be easy for me to search for PostgreSQL based
BBS systems, say if I wanted to find one to integrate with an
existing PostgreSQL project.

Elaine Lindelef

Re: Advocacy Idea.

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Nigel J. Andrews wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Jeff MacDonald wrote:
> > > If this is not an option, I'd be willing to put my time into making a
> > > PostgreSQL Webring, that would allow people to proudly say "we run postres"
> > > and see more who have made the right choice.
> >
> > A webring would be interesting to me.
>
> I'd be interested in seeing the user gallery working. I looked for my
> submission a week or two after registering it and couldn't find it.
>
> Overall, I think the user gallery needs a redesign, the paging through pages
> upon pages of lists which say nothing useful, for example all those entries
> that haven't specified some of the items, to be very annoying.

Actually, we have an Advocacy site on the TODO list that the UserGallery
will get moved over to ... trust me, being the one that was/is responsible
for the UserGallery, I hate it too :)

Re: Advocacy Idea.

От
"Jeff MacDonald"
Дата:
> Actually, we have an Advocacy site on the TODO list that the UserGallery
> will get moved over to ... trust me, being the one that was/is responsible
> for the UserGallery, I hate it too :)

Is there any ETA on this ? or a place where the TODO list can be seen ?

Re: Advocacy Idea.

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Alot of folks over the years have contributed to the user gallery
> [http://www.pgsql.com/user_gallery/] which is great. But the user
> gallery has even more effect when people actually read it :)
>
> Could the currect user gallery be some how "mutated" to also be
> a PostgreSQL Web Ring. That is , when you sign up on the gallery
> you get an icon, with a little chunk of html code. You can then
> take this icon and proudly post it on your site as powered by postgresql.

The only problem with a webring is that many of these "projects" aren't
just projects.  Some of them are viable businesses and a webring wouldn't
look too professional on the home page of a business like a store or
something.

Vince.

Re: Advocacy Idea.

От
"Jeff MacDonald"
Дата:
That's true, but it would be good if at least a "PostgreSQL" text link
went to the gallery , instead of the main page, or a gallery navigation
tool bar, to see what postgres is , what it does and it's all about.

Re: Advocacy Idea.

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 03:00:03PM -0400, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> The only problem with a webring is that many of these "projects" aren't
> just projects.  Some of them are viable businesses and a webring wouldn't
> look too professional on the home page of a business like a store or
> something.

And anyway, as several people have pointed out, there are lots of
companies who (for whatever reason) simply won't talk about their use
of PostgreSQL in public, or at least, not very loudly.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Advocacy Idea.

От
Varun Kacholia
Дата:
<snip>
> The only problem with a webring is that many of these "projects" aren't
> just projects.  Some of them are viable businesses and a webring wouldn't
> look too professional on the home page of a business like a store or
> something.

Well that is for the "user" to think , whether to post on his/her
website or not.I think there is not harm in going ahead with this
idea(As long as it does not cause some other complicacies).

 hth
> --
Varun

If Bill Gates had a penny for every time Windows crashed......Oh wait, he does.

Re: Advocacy Idea.

От
Ben
Дата:
be sure to take notes for what you'll be joking about when I ask you to
particpate in my version!

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> That's true, but it would be good if at least a "PostgreSQL" text link
> went to the gallery , instead of the main page, or a gallery navigation
> tool bar, to see what postgres is , what it does and it's all about.

Re: Advocacy Idea.

От
"Jeff MacDonald"
Дата:
um, "your version" ?

Дата:
Uh, er.... looks like I somehow replied to the wrong message. I blame
stupidity. :)

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> um, "your version" ?

Re: Advocacy Idea.

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Currently in Bruce's hands ... the whole Advocacy area tends to be one of
his strengths, so I asked him to PM the development of the advocacy site
... I told him you were interested in the UserGallery area of it, so you
might want to nudge him a bit ...