Обсуждение: Authorise root as postgres

Authorise root as postgres

От
* Tong *
Дата:
Hi,

Hope this simple question has a simple solution:
How can I authorise root the same previliage as postgres?

My postgres is password protected, I want to use 'psql -U postgres' as a
root without specifying password every time, or for a certain group of
users. How can I do that? I've been banning my head on the walls in
finding a way to achieve it. Still can't find a way to do it with
indent, md5 or even passwords authentication. Please help.

Thanks a lot!

Tong

Re: Authorise root as postgres

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 07:06:40PM +0000, * Tong * wrote:

> My postgres is password protected, I want to use 'psql -U postgres' as a
> root without specifying password every time, or for a certain group of
> users. How can I do that? I've been banning my head on the walls in
> finding a way to achieve it. Still can't find a way to do it with
> indent, md5 or even passwords authentication. Please help.

You can use the PGPASSWORD environment variable, or ~/.pgpass if 7.3.

"The eagle never lost so much time as
when he submitted to learn from the crow." (William Blake, citado por Nobody)

Re: Authorise root as postgres

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 19:06:40 +0000,
  * Tong * <tong@none.hub.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hope this simple question has a simple solution:
> How can I authorise root the same previliage as postgres?
>
> My postgres is password protected, I want to use 'psql -U postgres' as a
> root without specifying password every time, or for a certain group of
> users. How can I do that? I've been banning my head on the walls in
> finding a way to achieve it. Still can't find a way to do it with
> indent, md5 or even passwords authentication. Please help.

If you are using postgres through a socket (and hence must be on the
same machine as the server), running at least postgresql 7.2 and your
OS supports getpeerid, then you can use ident authentication and
permit root to connect as the postgres user without using a password.

If you are running an identd server on the machine you are logged into,
then you can use ident authentication over a network connection.

My preferred way to access postgres is either to su from root to postgres
to do things or to access as user postgres from my normal account.

Re: Authorise root as postgres

От
* Tong *
Дата:
Thank you for the reply.

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>How can I authorise root the same previliage as postgres?
>>
>>My postgres is password protected, I want to use 'psql -U postgres' as a
>>root without specifying password every time, or for a certain group of
>
> If you are using postgres through a socket (and hence must be on the
> same machine as the server), running at least postgresql 7.2 and your
> OS supports getpeerid, then you can use ident authentication and
> permit root to connect as the postgres user without using a password.

All the anwsers should be yes, except that I don't know about getpeerid.
I'm using RH8, BTW.

Here is what I've been trying (postgresql 7.2 that comes along with RH8):

In $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf, add:

# TYPE       DATABASE    IP_ADDRESS    MASK        AUTH_T    AUTH_ARG
   local      template1                    ident

printf 'admins\troot\tpostgres\n' >> $PGDATA/pg_ident.conf
killall -HUP postmaster

It will still ask for password when 'psql template1' as root. Besides,
specifying either root password or postgres password won't work.

What is supposed to be the right way?

PS. the following works. So I guess it is not the problem of ident:

# TYPE       DATABASE    IP_ADDRESS    MASK               AUTH_T  AUTH_ARG
   local      sameuser                                     ident   sameuser

Re: Authorise root as postgres

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:29:48 +0000,
  * Tong * <tong@none.hub.org> wrote:

> All the anwsers should be yes, except that I don't know about getpeerid.
> I'm using RH8, BTW.

This will work on 2.2 and 2.4 linux kernels (and maybe earlier ones),
so you should be alright.

> Here is what I've been trying (postgresql 7.2 that comes along with RH8):

I have attached same pg_hba.conf and pg_ident.conf files that will
illustrate what is possible. I am currently running 7.3, but I think
it should work the same on 7.2.

Вложения