Обсуждение: caveats upgrading from 7.0.3 to 7.2.x

caveats upgrading from 7.0.3 to 7.2.x

От
"Dave [Hawk-Systems]"
Дата:
am preparing to upgrade the postgres on our servers to 7.2.x from 7.0.3

aside from a dump restore requirements and backing up the 7.0.3 installation
just in case something goes awry, is there anything from a data type or syntax
that will cause any major hurdles as a result of this upgrade?

Appreciate any forewarnings.

Dave

Re: caveats upgrading from 7.0.3 to 7.2.x

От
Ian Barwick
Дата:
On Friday 22 November 2002 18:12, Dave [Hawk-Systems] wrote:
> am preparing to upgrade the postgres on our servers to 7.2.x from 7.0.3
>
> aside from a dump restore requirements and backing up the 7.0.3
> installation just in case something goes awry, is there anything from a
> data type or syntax that will cause any major hurdles as a result of this
> upgrade?
>
> Appreciate any forewarnings.

IIRC there aren't any negative syntax changes, i.e. which
will break something. timestamp() has gone away, and
SELECT ... LIMIT x,y has been replaced with SELECT ... LIMIT x OFFSET y
in 7.3.

The release history is here:

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?release.html

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?release-7-2.html

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?release-7-1.html

I would recommend testing before you make the change though.

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net

Re: caveats upgrading from 7.0.3 to 7.2.x

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
"Dave [Hawk-Systems]" <dave@hawk-systems.com> writes:
> aside from a dump restore requirements and backing up the 7.0.3
> installation just in case something goes awry, is there anything
> from a data type or syntax that will cause any major hurdles as a
> result of this upgrade?

Unfortunately, there are a bunch of minor issues that you may run
into, but I'm not aware of an exhaustive list of them (we're trying to
be better about documenting backwards incompatibilities in 7.3, but
that doesn't help you much).

My suggestion would be to do a trial run: load a 7.0.3 dump into a
test 7.2 installation on a development box and see if your application
works on it -- it should be easy to fix any problems that might crop
up. Then make a new dump and do the migration for the production
system.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: caveats upgrading from 7.0.3 to 7.2.x

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 13:21, Ian Barwick wrote:
> On Friday 22 November 2002 18:12, Dave [Hawk-Systems] wrote:
> > am preparing to upgrade the postgres on our servers to 7.2.x from 7.0.3
> >
> > aside from a dump restore requirements and backing up the 7.0.3
> > installation just in case something goes awry, is there anything from a
> > data type or syntax that will cause any major hurdles as a result of this
> > upgrade?
> >
> > Appreciate any forewarnings.
>
> IIRC there aren't any negative syntax changes, i.e. which
> will break something. timestamp() has gone away, and
> SELECT ... LIMIT x,y has been replaced with SELECT ... LIMIT x OFFSET y
> in 7.3.

I tested this about 9 months ago, and the timestamp syntax was an issue
(due to changes in how timezones were referenced) so you'll want to
check that.  I also remember some issues we had because our lead C
developer had created some functions that generated invalid sql
statements that we're accepted in 7.0.x but rejected on 7.2.x, so you'll
need to check your application for issues like that that might crop up.
I might suggest you take a look at 7.3 which, while currently in beta,
will be released within a fortnight.

Robert Treat