Обсуждение: versions

versions

От
"Al Bean"
Дата:
Hi,

I just compiled and installed the latest version of postgresql.

I found a webpage that showed a few steps to test the installation but it
was for 7.0.something but i could not find anything for the latest version
so i tried it anyway.

I was able to create a db but there were two things that I could not do:

mytestdb-# select current_timestamp;
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "select"

and

mytestdb=# create function test1() returns integer as 'begin return 1; end;'
language 'plpgsql';
ERROR:  Unrecognized language specified in a CREATE FUNCTION: 'plpgsql'.
        Pre-installed languages are SQL, C, and internal.
        Additional languages may be installed using 'createlang'.

Now I noticed that I could get the first test case working if i used all
caps for SELECT.  Is postgresql case sensitive?  is there a way to compile
it so that it is not case sensitive?  or can I not get this working because
I'm using different (newer) version?

Thanks,
-Al

Re: versions

От
Jean-Christian Imbeault
Al Bean wrote:

> mytestdb-# select current_timestamp;
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "select"

Are you sure? Try it again. I think you made a typo the first time. SQL
is not case sensitive (at least not in this case). "select
current_timestamp;" works fine for me.

> mytestdb=# create function test1() returns integer as 'begin return 1;
> end;' language 'plpgsql';
> ERROR:  Unrecognized language specified in a CREATE FUNCTION: 'plpgsql'.
>        Pre-installed languages are SQL, C, and internal.
>        Additional languages may be installed using 'createlang'.

The error message is self-explanatory.

use from the command line:

# createlang plpgsql mytestdb

Jc

Re: versions

Дата:
"Al Bean" <albean84@hotmail.com> writes:

> mytestdb-# select current_timestamp;
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "select"

That command by itself should be fine.  I suspect you had something left
over in psql's command buffer from an incomplete previous command
(forgot the semicolon maybe?)

> mytestdb=# create function test1() returns integer as 'begin return 1; end;'
> language 'plpgsql';
> ERROR:  Unrecognized language specified in a CREATE FUNCTION: 'plpgsql'.

You didn't install plpgsql (see createlang script).

            regards, tom lane

Re: versions

От
"Al Bean"
Дата:
Thanks guys,

I got it working now.

Tom: you were correct about the command buffer.  As I recall the first time
I typed in that statment it was w/o a semicolon.  (Thanks for the tip about
the buffer, I'm new to postres.)

One last question:
I still have to poke around the internet some more but what are the best GUI
admins for postgres.  I saw one that required M$ Windows but I would like
one for Linux.

Thanks again,
Al