Обсуждение: Using RSYNC for replication?

Using RSYNC for replication?

От
Jason Hihn
Дата:
A sequence of events ocurred to me today that left me wondering if I can
rsync the raw files as a form of replication. I'd like to keep
postmaster running, but flush and lock everything, then perform the copy
  via rsync so only the new data is propigated, all while postmaster is
running.

In general, data is only added to a few tables in the database, with
updates occuring infrequently to the rest. Rarely are deletes ever done.
   During the sync neither DB will change except as part of the rsync.

I think this would be a quick, dirty, safe and efficient way to
accomplish this without having to take down postmaster and send the
whole shebang over.

Are people using this? Will it work? Is it feasible? Thoughts?

Many thanks in advance,
-Jason

Re: Using RSYNC for replication?

От
Michael Carmack
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:56:09PM -0500, Jason Hihn wrote:
> A sequence of events ocurred to me today that left me wondering if I can
> rsync the raw files as a form of replication. I'd like to keep
> postmaster running, but flush and lock everything, then perform the copy
>  via rsync so only the new data is propigated, all while postmaster is
> running.
>
> In general, data is only added to a few tables in the database, with
> updates occuring infrequently to the rest. Rarely are deletes ever done.
>   During the sync neither DB will change except as part of the rsync.
>
> I think this would be a quick, dirty, safe and efficient way to
> accomplish this without having to take down postmaster and send the
> whole shebang over.
>
> Are people using this? Will it work? Is it feasible? Thoughts?

I've done this, and it seems to work fine. But why not dump the database
to a file and rsync that instead? Then you wouldn't have to ensure that
the database is static, and you will probably get a faster transfer.

m.

Re: Using RSYNC for replication?

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
I don't know abou the 'safe' in that list there.  You will definitely need
to stop both postmasters from running while you are rsyncing and then start
them again afterwards, since memory contents will be different.  You would
also need to rsync all the WAL files, the pg_controldata file, the
architecture must be identical, etc.

ie.  What you are proposing is a very, very bad idea.

I know that Gavin is tinkering with a log shipping solution based on WAL at
the moment, that would be much better for your needs.  Don't except it any
time soon tho :)  It won't work at all until PITR goes in...

Chris

Lincoln Yeoh
Дата:
What about existing open transactions during the sync?

Link.

At 11:56 PM 1/27/03 -0500, Jason Hihn wrote:

>In general, data is only added to a few tables in the database, with
>updates occuring infrequently to the rest. Rarely are deletes ever
>done.   During the sync neither DB will change except as part of the rsync.
>
>I think this would be a quick, dirty, safe and efficient way to accomplish
>this without having to take down postmaster and send the whole shebang over.
>
>Are people using this? Will it work? Is it feasible? Thoughts?
>
>Many thanks in advance,
>-Jason

Re: Using RSYNC for replication?

От
Jason Hihn
Дата:
Well this email is for everyone:

1) I don't want to PG dump because of 1) the time and 2) the space. If I
did it that way, I might as well keep the old copy around and run diff
on that, and ship that over the wire. Since this DB can get quie large,
I'd rather not have to have the binary copy AND the bigger text copy
around.

2)I can assure myself that there are no existing open transactions.
Also, this is the reason why I'd lock all the tables. My call for locks
would block until all other transactions were complete, ensuring I get a
  consistant copy.

I'm trying to do this from a user-invoked script where the user knows
nothing about starting/stoping services. Also, as things currently are,
we can get the modified/added records from our database and ship those
over the wire. As things are now, between script invocations, there's
only 5-15k byte differences. If we were to dump a lot more, our current
remote sites would get upset. Most of these remote sites are via modem.

Thanks for th einput so far. Keep it coming!

Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> What about existing open transactions during the sync?
>
> Link.
>
> At 11:56 PM 1/27/03 -0500, Jason Hihn wrote:
>
>> In general, data is only added to a few tables in the database, with
>> updates occuring infrequently to the rest. Rarely are deletes ever
>> done.   During the sync neither DB will change except as part of the
>> rsync.
>>
>> I think this would be a quick, dirty, safe and efficient way to
>> accomplish this without having to take down postmaster and send the
>> whole shebang over.
>>
>> Are people using this? Will it work? Is it feasible? Thoughts?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>> -Jason

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Using RSYNC for replication?

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 08:58:09AM -0500, Jason Hihn wrote:
> 2)I can assure myself that there are no existing open transactions.
> Also, this is the reason why I'd lock all the tables. My call for locks
> would block until all other transactions were complete, ensuring I get a
>   consistant copy.

No, it won't.
<http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/backup-file.html>:

"The database server _must_ be shut down in order to get a usable
backup. Half-way measures such as disallowing all connections will
not work as there is always some buffering going on."

If you want to minimise the amount of traffic you send to your
backup, I suggest looking into some form of replication.  There is a
pile of information on replication at
<http://gborg.postgresql.org/genpage?replication_research>

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Using RSYNC for replication?

От
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
On 28 Jan 2003 at 8:58, Jason Hihn wrote:

> I'm trying to do this from a user-invoked script where the user knows
> nothing about starting/stoping services. Also, as things currently are,
> we can get the modified/added records from our database and ship those
> over the wire. As things are now, between script invocations, there's
> only 5-15k byte differences. If we were to dump a lot more, our current
> remote sites would get upset. Most of these remote sites are via modem.

Dumb question. Would http://pgreplicator.sourceforge.net/ help you?

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Iron Law of Distribution:    Them that has, gets.

Re: Using RSYNC for replication?

Дата:
Jason Hihn <jhihn1@umbc.edu> writes:
> A sequence of events ocurred to me today that left me wondering if I can
> rsync the raw files as a form of replication.

In general, you can't.  There are very precise synchronization
requirements among the files making up the data directory, and there's
no way that a separate process like tar or rsync is going to capture a
consistent snapshot of all the files.

As an example: one of the recent reports of duplicate rows (in a table
with a unique index) seems to have arisen because someone tried to take
a tar dump of $PGDATA while the postmaster was running.  When he
restored the tar, two different versions of a recently-updated row both
looked to be valid, because the table's data file was out of sync with
pg_clog.

If you had a dump utility that was aware of the synchronization
requirements, it *might* be possible to dump the files in an order that
would work reliably (I'm not totally sure about it, but certainly data
files before WAL would be one essential part of the rules).  But out-of-
the-box tar or rsync won't get it right.

> I'd like to keep postmaster running, but flush and lock everything,
> then perform the copy via rsync so only the new data is propigated,
> all while postmaster is running.
> In general, data is only added to a few tables in the database, with
> updates occuring infrequently to the rest. Rarely are deletes ever done.
>    During the sync neither DB will change except as part of the rsync.

If you checkpoint before the rsync, and guarantee that no updates occur
between that and the conclusion of the rsync, and *take down the
destination postmaster* while it runs, then it might possibly work.
But I'd never trust it.  I'd also kinda wonder what's the point, if you
have to prevent updates; you might as well shut down the postmaster and
avoid the risk of problems.

A final note is that I doubt this would be very efficient: wouldn't
rsync have to ship entire table files (and entire WAL log files) for
even the most piddling change?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Using RSYNC for replication?

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 22:56, Jason Hihn wrote:
> A sequence of events ocurred to me today that left me wondering if I can
> rsync the raw files as a form of replication. I'd like to keep
> postmaster running, but flush and lock everything, then perform the copy
>   via rsync so only the new data is propigated, all while postmaster is
> running.
>
> In general, data is only added to a few tables in the database, with
> updates occuring infrequently to the rest. Rarely are deletes ever done.
>    During the sync neither DB will change except as part of the rsync.
>
> I think this would be a quick, dirty, safe and efficient way to
> accomplish this without having to take down postmaster and send the
> whole shebang over.
>
> Are people using this? Will it work? Is it feasible? Thoughts?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> -Jason

You could create a set of "modification log" tables that mirror the
"regular" tables, and are populated via triggers.

Then, when the main DB is quiesced, COPY out those mod log tables that
have rows in them, and then delete all from them.

Next, at your liesure, send over and apply these log table extracts.

Yes, this is not practical for a large number of tables, but, depending
on your h/w, can sustain even an extremely high-volume aplication.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Fear the Penguin!!"                                          |

Re: Using RSYNC for replication?

От
Dennis Gearon
Дата:
What's WAL?

1/27/2003 10:05:22 PM, "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> wrote:

>I don't know abou the 'safe' in that list there.  You will definitely need
>to stop both postmasters from running while you are rsyncing and then start
>them again afterwards, since memory contents will be different.  You would
>also need to rsync all the WAL files, the pg_controldata file, the
>architecture must be identical, etc.

Re: Using RSYNC for replication?

От
jhihn1
Дата:
Why isn't database data and system data seperate? I realize I'm stretching
ACID here, but  I think isolation also applies to databases themselves, and
from the system as well. At any given time, given an idle database, I should
be able to rip out the data and put a new in. Something as simple as
remounting the data directory to a [NFS] backup copy.

In my idea clog and WAL would be flushed and empty for the given databases.
Even if there is one set of logs for all the databases, as long as there are
no entries for the database being updated (and there won't be, because we
flushed them out) changing out the data should be simple. True, indexes should
be dumped and reloaded, but that is acceptible for me.

I don't understand what is so hard about doing it this way. It would make
replication so simple and fast. I'm attempting to do what amounts to a
file-system level backup, while still running. Normally a bad idea, but I am
in the situation that I can ensure that the clog and WAL are empty (for this
database anyway) and nothing is coming in.

If it can't do this, then it damn well should. Move clogs and WALs into each
database's directory so each is isolated. Put a call into Postgres (psql
function) to catch up on the logs. Then lock every table from writes (JIC),
perform the backup, unlock every table.

PS. Sorry my mailer dropped the subject. Fixed now.