Обсуждение: Estimate of when CVS will be available again?

Estimate of when CVS will be available again?

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
Right now there is no way to get development snapshots later than June 2nd.
Is there any estimate on when anonymous CVS access or up to date snapshots
will be available again?

Re: Estimate of when CVS will be available again?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
Without making a seperate repository, does anyone know if its possible to
enable anon-cvs?  So far as I can tell, searching google, there is nothing
that explains how to, nor in the info pages that comes with CVS ... but
that doesn't mean that its not possible ...

Am working on the snapshots themselves right now ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Estimate of when CVS will be available again?

От
Sean Chittenden
Дата:
> Without making a seperate repository, does anyone know if its
> possible to enable anon-cvs?  So far as I can tell, searching
> google, there is nothing that explains how to, nor in the info pages
> that comes with CVS ... but that doesn't mean that its not possible
>
> Am working on the snapshots themselves right now ...

It's very possible, but a bad idea, IMHO.  Performance and security
concerns aside (enforce security through filesystem permissions
too!!!):

cd CVSROOT
echo "anonymous" >> readers  # or username of anoncvs user (anoncvs?)
echo "anonymous::nobody" >> passwd
echo "readers" >> checkoutlist

for commiter in tgl, bruce, etc...
    echo "${committer}" >> writers
    echo "${committer}:*" >> passwd
done
echo "writers" >> checkoutlist
echo "passwd" >> checkoutlist

perl -p -i -e 's/#SystemAuth=no/SystemAuth=no/' config

cvs up
cvs ci

Use CVS_RSH = ssh, and make sure that committers commit files via ssh
instead of pserver.  Change nobody to whoever is your anonymous user
in terms of file system security.  If you have any probs, drop me a
private email.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden

Re: Estimate of when CVS will be available again?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
*scratch head*  I swore I had tried that the last time I attempted this,
and the readers 'broker' the writers file ... will re-try it again as soon
as I get things moved back over to neptune ...

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> > Without making a seperate repository, does anyone know if its possible to
> > enable anon-cvs?  So far as I can tell, searching google, there is nothing
> > that explains how to, nor in the info pages that comes with CVS ...
>
> The CVS info pages have a page titled "Read-only repository access"
> in the "Repository" chapter.
>
> It looks like all you do is put the username "anoncvs" into
> $CVSROOT/CVSROOT/readers ...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Estimate of when CVS will be available again?

Дата:
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> Without making a seperate repository, does anyone know if its possible to
> enable anon-cvs?  So far as I can tell, searching google, there is nothing
> that explains how to, nor in the info pages that comes with CVS ...

The CVS info pages have a page titled "Read-only repository access"
in the "Repository" chapter.

It looks like all you do is put the username "anoncvs" into
$CVSROOT/CVSROOT/readers ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Estimate of when CVS will be available again?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
Erk ...

Okay, I have CVSup up and available again, which allows you to download
the whole repository locally to work on ... is there a strong reason why
anoncvs is *required* to the repository with this available?

Sean cites both performance and security as reasons to *not* make anoncvs
available ...

Re: Estimate of when CVS will be available again?

От
Sean Chittenden
Дата:
> >> Okay, I have CVSup up and available again, which allows you to
> >> download the whole repository locally to work on ... is there a
> >> strong reason why anoncvs is *required* to the repository with
> >> this available?
>
> > CVSup is a PITA to get setup on OSes other than FreeBSD?
>
> Building CVSup from source is, um, a challenge (who the heck decided
> Modula3 would be a good choice for writing allegedly-portable
> software?)

You can thank Polestra for that... though you can now build CVSup with
pm3 instead of modula-3.. much smaller since pm3 doesn't have any
windowing bits.  There are rumors trickling around that once KSE is
done for FreeBSD (~5.2ish) that one of the guys will rewrite CVSup in
C...

> And, not everyone wants to store the entire project history locally.

You don't have to store the entire projects history... use a tag with
an explicit branch:

*default  tag=RELENG_4
*default  tag=RELEASE_7_3_3

or something like that and you get the equiv of an incremental cvs
export.

> I don't think it's reasonable to expect everyone to use cvsup.

Though I holistically agree with this.  CVSup is more bandwidth
friendly for sure, but cvs(1) is _everywhere_.

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden

Re: Estimate of when CVS will be available again?

Дата:
Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org> writes:
>> Okay, I have CVSup up and available again, which allows you to
>> download the whole repository locally to work on ... is there a
>> strong reason why anoncvs is *required* to the repository with this
>> available?

> CVSup is a PITA to get setup on OSes other than FreeBSD?

Building CVSup from source is, um, a challenge (who the heck decided
Modula3 would be a good choice for writing allegedly-portable software?)

And, not everyone wants to store the entire project history locally.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect everyone to use cvsup.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Estimate of when CVS will be available again?

От
Sean Chittenden
Дата:
> > Use CVS_RSH = ssh, and make sure that committers commit files via ssh
> > instead of pserver.
>
> I've been thinking for awhile that we really ought to be using ssh
> not plain pserver for committers access.  I'd support making that
> change.

This change should be made before CVSROOT is made public... and even
then, old history of the passwd file should be nuked, IMHO.  Use of
passwd and pserver is scary, esp for a project this big and well
known... at least all CVSup users have copies of the source code and
its history.

> Okay, I have CVSup up and available again, which allows you to
> download the whole repository locally to work on ... is there a
> strong reason why anoncvs is *required* to the repository with this
> available?

CVSup is a PITA to get setup on OSes other than FreeBSD?  CVSup is a
pretty hacker oriented tool... not many folks have it, at least not
in the numbers of normal cvs users.

> Sean cites both performance and security as reasons to *not* make
> anoncvs available ...

Security for anoncvs isn't a big issue if the file system permissions
are set correctly and the ability to execute remote sh files is
disabled on the cvs server (I think it is disabled in FreeBSD's cvs,
but it's a local patch and enabled by default elsewhere.  If you need
the patch, I can dig it up, it's just a two line little thing that
disables it in the pserver protocol...)

Performance for cvs update over pserver is abysmal and pretty hard on
the server, though easy on the client.  If the cvs server gets bogged
down, then it may be worth while to look into this and make a call for
mirrors.  Is this an issue?  Putting the lock files on an mfs
partition also helps (generally needed for anoncvs anyway)... -sc

--
Sean Chittenden

Re: Estimate of when CVS will be available again?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Erk ...
>
> Okay, I have CVSup up and available again, which allows you to download
> the whole repository locally to work on ... is there a strong reason why
> anoncvs is *required* to the repository with this available?
>
> Sean cites both performance and security as reasons to *not* make anoncvs
> available ...

But this requires cvsup, which you have to admit, as a Modula program,
is pretty weird.  Sure people can get cvsup binaries, but we are an open
source project, and it is nice to rely on standard tools.  I realize the
cvsup source is distributed, but as it is written in Modula, the source
code is pretty close to useless.  I think we have to offer anoncvs.

Re: Estimate of when CVS will be available again?

От
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
On 8 Jun 2003 at 23:52, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> Performance for cvs update over pserver is abysmal and pretty hard on
> the server, though easy on the client.  If the cvs server gets bogged
> down, then it may be worth while to look into this and make a call for
> mirrors.  Is this an issue?  Putting the lock files on an mfs
> partition also helps (generally needed for anoncvs anyway)... -sc

Well, would it be secure enough and reasonable from bandwidth utilization to
rsync the repository and/or nightly snapshots?

If it is reasonable in size people might accept either of these as an option
for anoncvs.

Or how about building cvsup on linux and distributing binary packages in 3
popular format, rpm/deb/tgz. Checkinstall does a pretty good job at that. So we
can cover as many users of anoncvs as possible.

Just a suggestion..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
toilet toup'ee, n.:    Any shag carpet that causes the lid to become top-heavy,
thus    creating endless annoyance to male users.        -- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"