Обсуждение: Growing Database Size Solved

Growing Database Size Solved

От
Jason Godden
Дата:
My mistake - even though I was running VACUUM everyday I wasn't running VACUUM
FULL - a VACUUM FULL fixed the problem.  Strange - I thought that regular
VACUUM was pretty good these days?

Re: Growing Database Size Solved

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 18:57:42 +1000,
  Jason Godden <jasongodden@optushome.com.au> wrote:
> My mistake - even though I was running VACUUM everyday I wasn't running VACUUM
> FULL - a VACUUM FULL fixed the problem.  Strange - I thought that regular
> VACUUM was pretty good these days?

You need to make sure that FSM is set high enough or that you vacuum
frequently enough that it will be big enough now that you have removed
most of dead tuples.

Re: Growing Database Size Solved

Дата:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 18:57:42 +1000,
>   Jason Godden <jasongodden@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>> My mistake - even though I was running VACUUM everyday I wasn't running VACUUM
>> FULL - a VACUUM FULL fixed the problem.  Strange - I thought that regular
>> VACUUM was pretty good these days?

> You need to make sure that FSM is set high enough

The default FSM settings are good for a database of up to maybe 100mb
or so.  For your 2Gb database you probably need to ratchet max_fsm_pages
up by about a factor of 10, and make sure that max_fsm_relations is big
enough for all your tables too.

            regards, tom lane