Обсуждение: Is PostgreSQL cluster capable?

Is PostgreSQL cluster capable?

От
Jordi Sánchez López
Дата:
Can two postgresql processes (running in different machines) access and
work with the same database files in a shared storage scenario? Would
there be any problem?

Thanks in advance :)

Re: Is PostgreSQL cluster capable?

От
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
On 18 Jul 2003 at 11:35, Jordi Sánchez López wrote:

> Can two postgresql processes (running in different machines) access and
> work with the same database files in a shared storage scenario? Would
> there be any problem?

No. Don't attempt it. It will cause data corruption.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Guillotine, n.:    A French chopping center.

Re: Is PostgreSQL cluster capable?

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 11:35:19AM +0200, Jordi S?nchez L?pez wrote:
> Can two postgresql processes (running in different machines) access and
> work with the same database files in a shared storage scenario? Would

No.

> there be any problem?

Yes.  Probably massive database corruption.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Is PostgreSQL cluster capable?

От
Jonathan Bartlett
Дата:
Has anyone tried PostgreSQL in a MOSIX-like cluster?

Jon

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, [ISO-8859-1] Jordi S�nchez L�pez wrote:

> Can two postgresql processes (running in different machines) access and
> work with the same database files in a shared storage scenario? Would
> there be any problem?
>
> Thanks in advance :)

Re: Is PostgreSQL cluster capable?

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 07:02:08AM -0700, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> Has anyone tried PostgreSQL in a MOSIX-like cluster?

It won't work, apparently: MOSIX doesn't (last I checked) have a
mechanism for using SYSV-stype shared memory across the cluster, and
PostgreSQL needs it.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Is PostgreSQL cluster capable?

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Friday 18 July 2003 15:02, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> Has anyone tried PostgreSQL in a MOSIX-like cluster?

Don't think mosix does shared memory (which PG needs)

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: Is PostgreSQL cluster capable?

От
Jonathan Bartlett
Дата:
Something that might be fun for someone to try who has some extra time:

http://mcaserta.com/maask/

A patch for OpenMosix to allow shared memory migration.  Trying this with
Postgres might be fun.  That is, if you consider playing with alpha
software and broken databases fun ;)

Jon